ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Havasu Canyon--future hike?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 9/28/2003, 3:23 pm    Post subject: Havasu Canyon--future hike? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Would anyone who has done this hike like to elaborate on the hike please.
I read the write-ups on HAZ, but would really like to know more.
Is anyone interested in this hike in the future?
I don't know what experience level someone has to be to do this hike.
Carry your own things or mule? (not familiar with this at all)
What are the highlights of this trip? From the photos it looks beautiful.
Best time of year?
Maybe a future AZhikers outting? Just an idea.

Thanks,
Sheri
azhiker96

PostPosted: 9/29/2003, 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sherri,
I am taking a small group in on October 10th, the full moon. We will play for a day and then hike out on Sunday. I'll let you know how it goes. This is my first time in Havasu Canyon but I believe I've got my group prepared. The happy thing about this hike is a pocket full of cash can be a backup plan for hiking out. Laughing
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 9/29/2003, 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Knowing you, I know you have it all prepared! Very Happy Your group is lucky to have you to do this hike with. G'luck and come back safe and sound. Looking forward to hearing all about it!
Hnak

PostPosted: 10/1/2003, 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I did Havasupai last October, and it rained most of the time we were there. Too cold for playing in the water, but beautiful nevertheless. Then again last August. Kinda warm, but the water sure felt good...

If you want to play in the water, I'd suggest May or June, and do the hiking before dawn or after dark (maybe by a full moon). Earlier in the spring is unpredictable. This time of the year is good, but runs the risk of being too cool to do a lot of playing in the water....

I don't think that it takes a lot of experience to do this hike. The trail is 10 miles, but only the first mile and a half is steep. The rest of the trail is just walking down a creek bed. (NOT like the West Fork!)

You can carry your packs, or rent a horse for $75 and put up to 4 packs on the horse. Oddly enough, if you give them $80, they never seem to have change... Rolling Eyes Or you can send your pack in (or out!!) on the helicopter for $20.

There is a cafeteria in the village where you can get some food on the way in or out.

I think this would be a great group hike for next year sometime. I'd surely be interested in going... Hank Very Happy
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 10/1/2003, 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks. Great advice.

Sherileeaz Cool
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 10/1/2003, 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hnak--Have they cleaned things up at all? I just remember lots of trash.
It has been perhaps 20 years since I have been down there. I am not saying the trips were not wonderful because they were but it was sad the locals let things go.

One special thing I remember was the peaches in August--fantastic!! There are some beauty places on the creek before you get to the campground--just go off trail and poke around. I got chigger bit in the campground one time--take a big ground cloth.
Kristyn

PostPosted: 10/3/2003, 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was just there in June and it was absolutely amazing. I like to go in the hotter months so that I don’t have to worry too much about Monsoons or the water being too cold. The water was still pretty cold, but as long as the sun was shining bright it was hot enough for it not to matter. I took my eight year old daughter on this hike and she did wonderfully. Her and I beat the rest of the group to the top on the way back. We hiked early in the morning on the way in and late in the afternoon on the way back. We all carried our own packs and did just fine, granted by the end of our four days we were exhausted, but our packs were lighter and we still made it out just fine. I would not recommend a mule because they are treated so horribly it is disgusting, they are scarred and not fed well. You will see mules that are bone thin that it just makes you want to cry. There are so many of them with open bloody wounds. It is very sad, I will not contribute to the locals on that end. It is a wonderful trip, one I plan every few years.
monster

PostPosted: 10/3/2003, 9:46 pm    Post subject: Another Two Cents Reply to topic Reply with quote

A 10 minute trip past Havasu Falls to Mooney Falls is a must. It is an interesting climb down, going through a trail carved out of the rock. You have some pretty steep steps and have to navigate down part way with the aid of a chain secured by some suspect bolts, but that just adds to the adventure.

If you have the whole day to explore, you can continue down towards the Colorado, enjoying turqouise pools and beautiful waterfalls dotted along the way.
Daryl

PostPosted: 10/5/2003, 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm planning my first trip there next spring. I've wanted to go for a few years but I keep putting it off. This spring for sure!
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 10/7/2003, 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sheri,

Count me in........I'll be ready for this in the spring.

Trish

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 10/12/2003, 10:02 am    Post subject: Havasu Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sher & Trish, count me in, too. Jim.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 10/14/2003, 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll be there!

I want to shine!
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 10/14/2003, 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great!! When we get past the holidays, let's plan this trip so everyone can go!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: