ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
"SICKO" - WOW!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChefTIO

PostPosted: 7/27/2007, 3:22 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Abe, I am not leaving this alone. I can't Wink

True story, I came from a very small town in the Midwest. The year after I graduated the state came in and condemned the building we used for a high school. Years before the people my town I was in tried to pass county sponsered bonds and taxes to raise enough money to either build a new school, or make enough repairs to keep the current building we had operational and safe for kids. Yes my parents were paying taxes, but that alone was not enough to help my younger sister. The following year the local people had to scramble to find enough trailers to house the top 4 grades of kids which was on the average about 60 kids per grade (small school). The money was eventually raised a few years later after the folks who refused to help support the fund raising before realized their mistake. Why was it tough to raise this money? It is because the area I came from was mostly older people who raised their kids and were no longer in need of a school for their families “Their taxes were not going to be raised for someone else’s kids”……mmmmmm

I too am someone that does not have kids or will be able to as far as that goes. I like kids when they are someone else’s. Wink
This past year here in Chandler one of the bonds proposed was more funding for schools. Did I vote for it, you bet. Best investment that anyone can make is education for children of LEGAL residents of this state/country.
Don’t forget to bring a coat, hear it’s cold in Canada.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 7/27/2007, 6:04 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Oh God, bite my tongue!
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 7/27/2007, 6:24 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

ChefTIO wrote:

a'la Pete Fredricks! NICE!

some might read this http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110010374

what i do
Abe

PostPosted: 7/27/2007, 8:21 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

ChefTIO wrote:
Abe, I am not leaving this alone. I can't Wink

campfire
chihiggs

PostPosted: 7/29/2007, 9:04 am    Post subject: uneducated This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

In places where education is not supported by taxes from all, for the good of society (all members); we see ignorance. In a society with a significant percentage of uneducated people, the few that are educated "run" things.

Places where education is not support by all and for all; well we know some of the names on that list--Iran, Iraq, Syria; places we do not have major disputes with, Brazil, Thailand, many African nations particularly the sub-Saharan nations: Notice something about these places? Many of them are breeding grounds for fanaticism (note I did not say all, instead I said "many"). Most of us could probably come up with a few exceptions but notice they are few and known as the exception.

Uneducated people are drawn to and follow the powerful or charismatic people—let us hope the power/charisma people all have humanities best interest at heart if we want to stop funding education because we do not personally have children.

Educated people know that life has much to offer. Most educated people look to live life productively and in harmony with others (note I did not say all, instead I said "most").

Even if we do not have children, I imagine few of us are self contained. Most people do need to go to the grocery store, receive water piped in to our homes, go to the gas station, get the a/c fixed or visit the dentist and doctor once in a while--kids or not, we all benefit from an educated populace. Think of it as an investment in your own local comfort and livability.

Just a little more fuel...
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/29/2007, 9:13 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Well said Mike!
evenstar

PostPosted: 7/29/2007, 1:41 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Good discussion; let's make sure we keep it civil, OK? Very Happy
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
pfredricks

PostPosted: 7/29/2007, 2:07 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

[quote="American_Idol"]
ChefTIO wrote:

a'la Pete Fredricks! NICE!]

Naw! Haven't you noticed that I quit bothering about two or three years ago?
"I am just going outside and may be some time."- Explorer Oates' last words before crawling out of his tent in -40 C temps. Sacrificed himself so as not to hold back his 1912 South Pole expedition teamates.
ck1

PostPosted: 7/29/2007, 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: uneducated This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

chihiggs wrote:
Uneducated people are drawn to and follow the powerful or charismatic people—l...

Now I understand how he got elected.

"The Journey is the Destination"
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 7/29/2007, 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: uneducated This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

ck1 wrote:
chihiggs wrote:
Uneducated people are drawn to and follow the powerful or charismatic people—l...

Now I understand how he got elected.

Chuckle Agree

I want to shine!
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 7/29/2007, 3:40 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Do you all remember the movie "The American President?" Catherine Zeta-Jones' husband plays the president, and gives a very powerful speech about democracy, and how "America isn't easy." I often think of that when I see discussions like this. The whole idea of "America" depends on an educated citizenry.
ChefTIO

PostPosted: 7/29/2007, 4:22 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Shawn wrote:
The whole idea of "America" depends on an educated citizenry.

Yes, if you try hard enough you can make a long list of what is wrong with this country and probably a pretty accurate list too. But there are many of those here who will try to find away to make “a right” from “a wrong”. Doesn’t matter what side of the illegal migration issue you’re on or Medicare or the Iraq War or…. Someone or some group of peeps will find the answers for all of these issues that the majority (us) will agree that it is a viable solution, they always do, always have. Then we move on. Nothing works perfect forever; it just needs to be tweaked a little here and there. Speaking of which, hope Bill Gates has some well educated people working on SP1 for Windows Vista, because it could use a little help too.
Idea
Abe

PostPosted: 7/29/2007, 8:46 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
Good discussion; let's make sure we keep it civil, OK? Very Happy

Aye, aye, sir.

I remember last year at Clear Creek in "the Canyon". Met some folks; a retired Army Colonel, a retired salesman, young lad just graduated from college and his father. Small group; however, pretty clear both sides of politic's well represented. In one afternoon, sitting in a large pool of water and shooting the bull, we solved the world's problem. I love moments like that.
cactuscat

PostPosted: 8/10/2007, 6:52 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

You can all pumpkin off! I hate kids, period. Especially yours!

And you can save the replies because I won't be back ... to many freaking uptight stinkin' mugrat here. I'm gonna go smoke some pot and pumpkin my girlfriend and try to overthrow the holy porridge government!

Im out.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 8/10/2007, 6:54 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

I am sorry you are so angry Kelly

I want to shine!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: