ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
"SICKO" - WOW!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
threedogz

PostPosted: 7/21/2007, 2:54 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

I had a friend who complained about paying taxes for school education for kids and she didn't have any children. The thing is she was a kid once and the tax payers helped her education out. Not to mention, she applied for a student loan...
desertgirl

PostPosted: 7/21/2007, 3:39 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Affordable health care happens when a Dr. has to be face to face with a suffering patient and say I can't do this for you 'cause you don't have money to pay for it -- Insurance as a middle man in delivering bad news depersonalizes the message and allows people to go about their merry billing ways while corporations work for the bottomline.

When there is profit in healthcare and essential services its hard to have to the right motivation to render "affordable" care.

It is amazing how much "frivoluous " items are covered by healthcare. Shocked -- Recent experience with my eye prescription claim left me rather amazed -- my "insurance coach" told me I could justify a 400$ frame as a combination of my need for them and emotional wellbeing ? She even got it pre-approved! This is just plain wrong ....a 99$ frame+lens+exam would have more than sufficed for both my needs and mental well being. I am quite happy with my $99 frame
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 7/21/2007, 8:23 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
]...a suffering patient and say I can't do this for you 'cause you don't have money to pay for it...Insurance as a middle man in delivering bad news depersonalizes the message...while corporations work for the bottomline.

[Since] there is profit in healthcare and essential services its hard to have the right motivation to render "affordable" care.

It is amazing how much "frivoluous " items are covered by...a 99$ frame+lens+exam would have more than sufficed for both my needs and mental well being. I am quite happy with my $99 frame
Hi A, long time no Canyon trips, but I think we are in agreement about healthcare delivery in our country, if I read your post correctly.

You have international experience and I think that perspective is key. In the USA, we have allowed a greed-driven system to become endemic. It rhymes with "Pork", no?

We need to re-think the humanity issues. The "System" will not be re-thought by doctors or the AMA. Pharmaceutical companies will continue to lobby and connect with our legislators; the insurance companies share databases with end-point delivery, and the various dot.Gov overseers.

It's a whole seperate topic, but data-sharing, Med-data-sharing (and personal data), is almost out-of-control; that's an issue we shouldn't get into here.

So we need to start taking control of our country, and health care delivery for our people who aren't able to contend with the infra-structure we've allowed to put itself into place.

Anyway, I'm out of this thread, although I think there was a "diversity" issue "knocking" around, up above? Let's be relaxed here, my friends.
JW.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Suz

PostPosted: 7/22/2007, 6:59 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

It occurs to me that the problem would be a little more manageable if "we" weren't trying to take care of and educate 20 million undocumented illegal immigrants.
Valet2
Peppermint Patty

PostPosted: 7/23/2007, 9:59 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Just had to open that "can of worms" eh, Suz? I don't think there is enough server room to cover this part of the topic!
beckett

PostPosted: 7/23/2007, 10:47 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
Affordable health care happens when a Dr. has to be face to face with a suffering patient and say I can't do this for you 'cause you don't have money to pay for it -- Insurance as a middle man in delivering bad news depersonalizes the message and allows people to go about their merry billing ways while corporations work for the bottomline.

When there is profit in healthcare and essential services its hard to have to the right motivation to render "affordable" care.

It is amazing how much "frivoluous " items are covered by healthcare. Shocked -- Recent experience with my eye prescription claim left me rather amazed -- my "insurance coach" told me I could justify a 400$ frame as a combination of my need for them and emotional wellbeing ? She even got it pre-approved! This is just plain wrong ....a 99$ frame+lens+exam would have more than sufficed for both my needs and mental well being. I am quite happy with my $99 frame

You made some good points. I have chosen a doctor who excepts my insurance and doesn't try to charge me over and above what they pay for. He is a kind man who talks to me one on one about my health as well as what I need and what is covered by the insurance. He helps me find affordable alternatives. I guess he's one of those old fashion type doctors that went into the profession to help people. It's not like he excepts two chickens for an office visit but he and his office work with the patients as people.

I too am happy with my $99 frames...they really don't look that much different than the ones that cost three times as much.

Linda

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
cactuscat

PostPosted: 7/27/2007, 6:16 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

threedogz wrote:
I had a friend who complained about paying taxes for school education for kids and she didn't have any children. The thing is she was a kid once and the tax payers helped her education out. Not to mention, she applied for a student loan...

Yeah and I was a kid once too - my parents paid taxes for my schools!
I shouldn't have to pay for other people's brats.
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 7/27/2007, 6:40 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Hey, I'm bringing my 2 kids out in August... wanna go campin' with us?? Eek
paintninaz

PostPosted: 7/27/2007, 7:02 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

cactuscat wrote:

I'll guarantee you that the amount of money your parents paid in taxes was not nearly enough to pay for your schooling...you benefited from other people's tax money as well. Consdier your tax money as repayment of your student loan. Razz

BTW, I may be a brat, but neither of my kids are. Wink

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 7/27/2007, 7:05 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

So then Kelly are you saying that it would be ok with you if the future of our country lie exclusivly in the hands of those wealthy enough to afford extravagant private schools having never known the path of the average citizen and the struggles they work through trying to better them selves.... cause that is what would happen if we didn't support our public schools with taxes and give ALL the chance to achieve greatness.

I want to shine!
ChefTIO

PostPosted: 7/27/2007, 7:25 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
It occurs to me that the problem would be a little more manageable if "we" weren't trying to take care of and educate 20 million undocumented illegal immigrants.

Amen
azhiker96

PostPosted: 7/27/2007, 7:33 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Our taxes pay for many things which may not be used by everybody; schools, national parks, police, fire, National Endowment for the Arts, municipal courts, city parks, public transit, wildlife programs, etc. These things are paid for with our taxes because they are considered valuable to our society. Public education enables people to get jobs/better jobs which increases the tax base, decreases crime, and decreases the poverty rate. At the very least, high school keeps some hoodlums off the street during the day for a few years. Wink
threedogz

PostPosted: 7/27/2007, 9:37 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

cactuscat wrote:

You have to think, your parents alone didn't pay enough taxes to pay for the school building you sat in to learn, nor the desk you sat at, the supplies you used, the buses that transported you, or the teachers salary. It was a combination of tax payers AND donations.

Those "brats" will be paying into the system when you are elderly and may even be taking care of you. Educating the brats as you call them benefits everyone including yourself.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/27/2007, 12:54 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

cactuscat wrote:

Wow what an argument there, that should go a long way in any discussion. Come on, taxes pay for a lot more that just schools. I can't think of a better thing for tax money to go towards than schools. Educating America, giving kids better opportunites, better jobs, a better life. How about paying teachers a decent salary, not less than what a babysitter would make. So sorry other peoples "Brats" are costing you a few $$ a paycheck in taxes.

Besides I thought you were disgusted to be an American and were moving to Canada, so I don't know why you're worried about how we pay taxes or what they go towards.

cactuscat wrote:

I'm shocked and sickened by this. First time I've ever been ashamed to be an American, but I cannot be part of a group that would approve of this man and the things he's done and the things he will do. The US will be unrecognizable after the next four years - but now I believe that Americans deserve exactly what they're going to get.

Misty and I already got applications for Canadian citizenship and started looking for jobs in Vancouver online last night. I'm excited - I think a fresh start will be really good; Canada is so much more decent. It will take a lot of B.C. KINDness to forget this mess!
Abe

PostPosted: 7/27/2007, 2:16 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Wow! I think I'm leaving this one alone......
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: