ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
EPIC
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
ck1

PostPosted: 9/24/2003, 9:51 pm    Post subject: EPIC Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've got something in mind here, but before I post on it...I wanted to get other's opinion on what exactly makes a day hike an "epic" hike? What would you say is required in a day hike for it to be considered EPIC?

Or, I could ask it this way....what hikes would be on a list of EPIC hikes?

West Fork (top to bottom)
Rim to Rim or Rim to River to Rim
???????

"The Journey is the Destination"
plummer150

PostPosted: 9/24/2003, 10:40 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would say an epic hike would be one that you tryed to carry a 1/4 keg with you on the hike. Now that would be hardcore hiking, and hard core drinkin! Beer
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 9/24/2003, 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Arizona Trail.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 9/25/2003, 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think Dadee said it quite eloquently. Just replace "death-march" with "epic hike"...

Quote:
There is nothing quite like a good death-march to bond friends together. It also gives you a renewed sense of personal strength when you have to reach deep down, using every last ounce of willpower and fortitude you have to grind out those last few miles to reach your goal. It is rewarding in many ways:

- Physically, for knowing you pushed yourself harder than you thought you could (although there is usually a price to pay, like not being able to walk like a normal human for several days afterwards).
- Mentally, for finding those hidden resources you didn't know you had.
- Socially, for the intense bonds you form with your fellow sufferers.
- Aesthetically, because you just don't do a death-march unless you are going to cross some seriously beautiful territory - or reach some intense reward at the end.

I would add that an epic hike also includes a fear of what awaits you around the next bend, and continuing anyways because you seriously have no choice! It sure gets the adrenaline going.
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 9/25/2003, 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think number three:

1. poetry about an epic: relating to or being an epic
Milton’s “Paradise Lost” is an epic poem.

2. like an epic: having some of the characteristics of an epic
an epic story of true love and adventure

3. very large or heroic: impressive by virtue of greatness of size, scope, or heroism
a scandal of epic proportions
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 9/25/2003, 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would have to second Tom's (Hikeringilbert) post. Daddee described it well and the addition of the fear of what's around the corner is definetly part of it! Nothing like a loud groan up ahead to make you wonder what awaits you!

I want to shine!
azhiker96

PostPosted: 9/25/2003, 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think a heightened sense of danger and adventure makes for an Epic hike. Some hikes may contain this naturally. Others get it due to transient conditions. For example, most of my backpacking trips into Reavis Ranch have been relatively tame but fun. The epic trip was the one where thunderstorms struck at dusk, continued to rage with winds and lightning crashing through the night, apples were ripe and delicious, a bear pillaged the sweet feed at the neighbor's camp at 1am ( horse people), all the dry canyons coming in were 3-4 feet deep and raging on the way out, the dirt road out was washed out in places, and I had to wait 2 hours to let a flood subside before I could complete the drive out. That was my first and best trip into Reavis and epic in my mind.
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 9/25/2003, 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wouldn't an "epic" hike have to start in the middle?
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 9/26/2003, 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
Wouldn't an "epic" hike have to start in the middle?

Nope.

Quote:
ep·ic
n.
An extended narrative poem in elevated or dignified language, celebrating the feats of a legendary or traditional hero.
A literary or dramatic composition that resembles an extended narrative poem celebrating heroic feats.
A series of events considered appropriate to an epic: the epic of the Old West.

adj.
Of, constituting, having to do with, or suggestive of a literary epic: an epic poem.
Surpassing the usual or ordinary, particularly in scope or size: “A vast musical panorama... it requires an epic musical understanding to do it justice” (Tim Page).
Heroic and impressive in quality: “Here in the courtroom... there was more of that epic atmosphere, the extra amperage of a special moment” (Scott Turow).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[From Latin epicus, from Greek epikos, from epos, word, song. See wekw- in Indo-European Roots.]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd be in for the EPIC Hike schedule.

GTG
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 9/26/2003, 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG-Matt was only commenting on the Homeric tradition of begining the tale "in media res"--in the middle of things, as the Romans said. Both Homer and Virgil began their epics with the hero at the middle point, recounting the story from the start up to the moment. It would have started like this:

"Buffy, do you smell goat?" Skipper said as the young couple sat down for a pack break at the three mile turnaround on their West Fork Hike. "I believe I do" Buffy responded, and then she recoiled in terror as ten ragged and dangerous looking creatures spilled over the rocks behind them. Their leader, a wild eyed manic looking fellow with a wide brimmed hat fell at their feet and retched, "Raaalph, y'all" vomiting on their new Cole Haan boots. He was followed by a stark looking fellow with a knee brace and a stumbling gait who could only moan, "Sharon..."

The third ruffian bowed and apologized for the intrusion. He told them, "The canyon has cast us at your feet after a day of torment you cannot imagine. After failing to find a source for a Maxi-Venti Frappucino Amphetamino Intravenouso with three extra expresso shots on the way to the trailhead, we knew the fates were against us. If you could only provide us with a few Clif Bars and perchance a dollop or two of brandy against the cold, we will tell you of the many travails we have struggled against before we struggle onward towards the blessed ale which Hoolie and Randy have hopefully provided at the trailhead."

He can then go on to retrace the tale. It's an old literary technique not used much any more. Matt is obviously one with a liberal arts education like me...("Would you like to Biggie Size that?") -R Rolling Eyes
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 9/26/2003, 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Maxi-Venti Frappucino Amphetamino Intravenouso with three extra expresso shots

You forgot the mocha!! Rolling Eyes
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 9/26/2003, 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Now THAT is an EPIC post Randy!!! rofl
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 9/26/2003, 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Matt is obviously one with a liberal arts education like me

Philosophy if I recall correctly.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 9/26/2003, 4:56 pm    Post subject: oops Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sorry about that, I hadn't considered the fact stated above. Being goat and from the South I am not priveleged in such educated manners y'all.

GTG
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 9/26/2003, 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daddee wrote:
Quote:
There is nothing quite like a good death-march to bond friends together. It also gives you a renewed sense of personal strength when you have to reach deep down, using every last ounce of willpower and fortitude you have to grind out those last few miles to reach your goal. It is rewarding in many ways:

- Physically, for knowing you pushed yourself harder than you thought you could (although there is usually a price to pay, like not being able to walk like a normal human for several days afterwards).
- Mentally, for finding those hidden resources you didn't know you had.
- Socially, for the intense bonds you form with your fellow sufferers.
- Aesthetically, because you just don't do a death-march unless you are going to cross some seriously beautiful territory - or reach some intense reward at the end.

I agree with Daddee's quote.

Sherileeaz Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: