ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Hwy. 191 Closed South of FR 25

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/2/2007, 8:47 pm    Post subject: Hwy. 191 Closed South of FR 25 Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is a Forest Service internal memo I received today. The sender also sent me a photo which I am quite certain I can't post in this box because I have tried and tried to do so in the past. It shows Blue Vista in flames. I will put it into the Gallery. Here's the memo, and don't forget to see the photo, too:

We currently have the road closed northbound at the Juan Miller Turn Table, MP 189. We will be manning this road closure until other arrangements are made. We also have signs telling the public that "US 191 Closed to Alpine, Due to fire, use SR 78 to NM US 180" at the Threeway Intersection and another one at the Mine Overlook saying "US 191 Closed, 25 miles Ahead, Due To Fire." You can tell the public they can go up to the Juan Miller Road, Upper & Lower Eagle Creek Roads and Cherry Lodge areas to recreate. No one will be allowed north of Juan Miller to the Rose Peak, Hagan, 6K6, or 515 etc. areas.

And FYI the Southbound Closure is at the Reno Lookout Road FS 25, MP 226. Springerville is taking care of that part of the road closure. This closure is in effect all day. They are anticipating a 2-day closure.

Just so you are up to speed on the fire. It started Thursday by lighting in the Chitty drainage, which is below the Rim on the west side of the highway between Blue Vista and Salt House Trailhead (just south of the Rattlesnake Yard).

Currently the fire is at about 800 acres and USFS will continue to back burn to keep it from jumping the highway.

This is one of the pictures from the Chitty Fire. This is Sun. night at Blue Vista, in between the 2 entrances. It’s the little island between the highway and the road that goes around in the look out. That's completely black now.

We will continue to keep everyone appraised of all changes to the road status.
Suz

PostPosted: 7/2/2007, 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Perfect Elizabeth! That's just the information that I was looking for, you're awesome! Glad to have you up there checking this out for us and glad to have you as a resource on this site. Thanks. Keep us posted.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/3/2007, 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks! (puff, puff!)

One thing I should note here, this closure is along some of the least traveled part of 191. Since you can still go down as far as FR 25, you can get to Wildcat Crossing on the Black River, where the June GHOTM was held. Hannagan area trails are open, etc.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/4/2007, 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This afternoon the fire must have really blown up because it's very smoky now. My house stinks with the smoke, and I live at least 50 miles from the fire. Can't close the windows or it would be too hot in here. (Air conditioning? What's that?)

I'll keep you guys posted. It may affect the KP backpack, but I have alternate plans in case KP is closed.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/5/2007, 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

KP is closed right now. Not sure about 9 days from now. To watch this fire and other AZ fires check out this website:

http://gacc.nifc.gov/swcc/information/information.htm
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 7/5/2007, 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

weather has not been good for the fire, expected containment is expected at the end of July. This fire has the potential to became huge.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/5/2007, 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Says the chitty fire expanded by 1500 acres yesterday Sad
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 7/5/2007, 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh this is not good.... it was so pretty up there. I know it will come back, but it will take time. Dang!! At least I saw a part of the area before this Crying or Very sad

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/5/2007, 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The area that's burning is not often visited anyway, other than Blue Vista. The fire is mostly in Chitty Canyon. I hope Chitty Falls was spared.

We got quite a bit of rain here in Round Valley today. I think the fire area did, too, because we were having a great deal of smoke, and after the rain, no more smoke.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/6/2007, 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Fire at over 9,000 acres, but slowing down due to fire crews' work and rain. Into Bear Wallow Wilderness now. 191 still closed south of FR 25. KP still closed.
Suz

PostPosted: 7/7/2007, 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The smoke in the area was thick and disturbing on our drive in on July 4th. We were fishing along the east fork of the Black river and one day the smoke dropped into the area we were at until the rain came, just like Elizabeth said. Lots of good rain up in the area over the last 2-3 days but a pile of lightning, too.

We saw 8 mama elk with their babies up close and personal and a grey wolf in another area much closer to our campsite in the Buffalo Crossing area......What about all of those animals in 9,000 acres?
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/8/2007, 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks like 191 will re-open today at 10:00 a.m. The news release says that Foote Creek and Grant Creek trails remain open. (They weren't closed during the fire.) What it fails to tell us is if KP is open now.

Fire went to 14,000 acres. We've had quite a bit of afternoon rain, I expect that helped damp down the fire.
Suz

PostPosted: 7/8/2007, 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

An amazing impact on the land and the animals.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: