ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Current Fire near Hannagan?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suz

PostPosted: 7/1/2007, 9:34 pm    Post subject: Current Fire near Hannagan? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Does anyone have the update on this location of this fire?

As I was leaving Pacheta Lake today I noticed a huge plume of smoke behind the campsite. I'm interested in any updates or information.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 7/1/2007, 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Checking myself, no info. Several other fires as well.
Suz

PostPosted: 7/1/2007, 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Okay now I know it's call the Chitty fire and it started on Friday--natural causes. They say 8 miles from Hannagan and zero containment near highway 191. Any other updates?
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/1/2007, 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
Lightning-caused wildfire burning in northern Arizona

Associated Press - July 1, 2007 11:44 PM ET

PHOENIX (AP) - A wildfire burning in the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest in northern Arizona is believed to be lightning-caused.

The Chitty fire has burned more than 750 acres. The burned acreage according to the feds also includes burnout operations.

The fire is burning at the top of Chitty Canyon, west of Highway 191 and Blue Vista Overlook south of Alpine.

The fire is climbing the steep slope of the Mogollon (MUH'-ghi-ohn) Rim so fire managers are using fuel breaks previously established on top of the Rim to minimize the risk to crews.

The feds say it's likely that the burned acreage will increase due to the tendency of the fire to climb to the top of the Rim and then burn laterally to the east.

Highway 191 is open but travel is discouraged since the road could be closed at any time and visibility is poor due to heavy smoke.

So far, there's zero containment.

About 140 firefighters, including five Hotshot crews, are on the fire.

From http://www.kold.com/Global/story.asp?S=6734925&nav=menu86_1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: