ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Gotta get outta here....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
PageRob

PostPosted: 6/10/2007, 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like a blast. I love trains, used to ride one to school back when I was in high school pretty much every day. I like taking the train up to the canyon every once in a while, especially when KNAU gives away tickets for donating to them - bonus! Liked the V&TRR up in Virginia City, Nv, but last time I was there the line wasn't fully restored to the other end of the line. Anyone taken that Verde Canyon railway? Any other good train rides around? Been thinking about taking a trip to Albuquerque sometime on Amtrak.
sbkelley

PostPosted: 6/10/2007, 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That Durango-Silverton train is a blast. Enjoy the margs on the train!. I'm fairly sure it still runs in the winter and they'll even let you off at Needleton if you really want...and you can hike in shorts, too.

I think that the Cumbres-Toltec RR is still running in northern NM, too, and that's a great ride.
IGO

PostPosted: 6/11/2007, 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I didn't get to make my trip up there. I'm glad you are having fun.
Pictures!
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/11/2007, 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glad to hear you're having fun! I'd like to ride that train sometime!
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 6/11/2007, 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Have fun on the train. There is nothing like the San Juan mtn's. The train would be a wonderful way of enjoying them, I've always wanted to take it.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/11/2007, 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just back about 1-1/2 hours ago; have a couple of hundred of photos to go through. Awesome trip! Will post details in "Off Trail" area later. Very Happy Mr. Green
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Suz

PostPosted: 6/11/2007, 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Welcome home.....I'm really looking forward to hearing all about it and seeing some pictures. Hurry!
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 6/11/2007, 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Hooli! Welcome home! Hope you had a great time! lookin forward to the pictures.... I would love to do that rail ride some day my self can't wait to see what I have to look forward to!

I want to shine!
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 6/11/2007, 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

How's the cardio-workout on that train? Did the elevation bother you? Do any one-arm-declining-resistance-twelve-ounce curls?
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/11/2007, 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Not home; meant just back from the Durango-Silverton Narrow Guage RR Excursion. Very, Very highly recommended....an awesome trip! I rode the Alamosa Parlor Car, which is really cool, taken just after boarding in Durango:

And of course Hooli got hugs! Theresa was our hostess/bartender in the Alamosa Parlor Car and a really cool Lady! This was taken just before we pulled out of Silverton:

The Alamosa Parlor Car is the last car on the train and we were able to go out on that observation deck to take photos....really cool as you'll see once I set up my trip's album!
Am here 'til Thursday when I'll spend the night at RV park in Flagstaff and then home Friday.
I'm sitting here in the Hoolimobile in Durango, having a glass of wine and trying to decide which of over 100 pix I should keep and which to delete. Taking photos from a moving train ain't easy...lots of duplicates, and lots of, "Oh, I gotta get a pic of this and, just as I snapped the wanted photo, a tree came between my camera and what I wanted to photograph!
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/11/2007, 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn wrote:
How's the cardio-workout on that train? Did the elevation bother you? Do any one-arm-declining-resistance-twelve-ounce curls?

Had one bloody mary on the trip out....a Durango Amber Ale with lunch in Silverton....and a coffee royal (shot of Jack Daniels in coffee) on the way back. Given it's an almost ten hour trip, didn't do much muscle building. I do bring my two 20 lb dumbells (Not HIG and GTG) and do my normal daily workouts. Leave them on the mat outside the Hoolimobile hoping some kind soul will steal them, but no luck so far.....didn't work in Puerto Pénasco and didn't work at the Turquoise Valley Golf/RV Resort. Sad
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 6/11/2007, 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
I do bring my two 20 lb dumbells (Not HIG and GTG)

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sounds like you're having fun! My plans for a trip up that way are coming together nicely. I'm probably going to be in Durango on July 4th. Not sure where I'm taking the train to, but I'm going to get off of it somewhere before Silverton and hike into Chicago Basin, where I'll be surrounded by 14er's. After acclimating I should be able to knock out 3 of them (technically there are 4, but 2 of them are on the same mtn). Hopefully I'll get to do a little fishing in some alpine streams or lakes also. I can't wait to go!
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/12/2007, 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We stopped both to and from Silverton to pick up or or drop off hikers/backpackers/rafters, etc. You'll see photos once I put up album. Won't do it from here 'cause WiFi is too slow.
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/13/2007, 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Gotta head for home tomorrow; will spend the night in Flagstaff, then home early Friday afternoon........ Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 6/13/2007, 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OH! Then you won't have to miss our next AZH Cooks event at my house! It's gonna be yummy Hooli!

I want to shine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: