ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Dream Piece of Gear
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
ck1

PostPosted: 9/18/2003, 10:13 pm    Post subject: Dream Piece of Gear Reply to topic Reply with quote

What's that one dream piece of gear that you've always wanted but just couldn't afford or couldn't justify purchasing...that item you lust after each time you see it...the item you'd have if cost wasn't an object...

For me, right now, its a GPS unit...ur, wait...no, it's that tandum kayak at REI, oh, no, maybe it's the Trek Madone 5.9 road bike ($5000) or the Klein Palomino mtn bike...or the...

"The Journey is the Destination"
Daryl

PostPosted: 9/19/2003, 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

One of the nice things about being on a Search and Rescue team is that all the gear you use is tax deductable (boots, backpack, jackets, gps, treking poles...). Thus at Christmas I usually get everything I want.
I did see this little clip on thing in the REI catalog that was a digital compass, thermometer, barameter, altimiter, clock and probably a few other things. Pretty cool, but not really worth the $150 price tag.
Non-hiking related I'd love to have a Wavesport Big EZ kayak.
The best toy I have is the Garmen Rhino. GPS and GMRS/FRS radio in one handy unit. Cool feature; it shows you where everyone else that has a rhino is within range (3-5 miles).
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 9/19/2003, 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hmmmm, maybe a Bibler PTFE single wall mountaineering tent. Save about four pounds, spend about a grand.

A real custom built rifle, made specially for me by my gunsmith would be great, left handed action, 7mm-08, cryo'ed fluted barrel.

If anyone is thinking about a nice gift for my birthday, my gunsmith in Tempe, Ted Yost, knows just how to do it.....

PostPosted: 9/19/2003, 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

As I sit here feeling sorry for myself because I am unable to do West Fork Crying or Very sad , or anything else this weekend, how about a nanny? I know it's not exactly 'gear' but I can't think of anything else that I could use more often that would make my trips more enjoyable! Rolling Eyes
paintninaz

PostPosted: 9/19/2003, 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cindy wrote:
how about a nanny? Rolling Eyes

well, the goats will all be doing West Fork Goat not sure about the nannies... Laughing

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
evenstar

PostPosted: 9/28/2003, 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daryl wrote:
The best toy I have is the Garmen Rhino. GPS and GMRS/FRS radio in one handy unit. Cool feature; it shows you where everyone else that has a rhino is within range (3-5 miles).

Daryl, Do you have the 110 or 120? Guy at Maverick Glass replacing my motorhome windo was telling me about it; said he had the 110 but wishes it was the 120. Would like to have had something like that on the WFW. Of course, the longer range of the GMRS radio wouldn't have helped if one of the ten AZHikers Swimteam didn't also have one. Is it water resistant?
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 9/28/2003, 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Free pass/entry to our public lands, anytime anywhere.
ck1

PostPosted: 9/28/2003, 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nighthiker wrote:
Free pass/entry to our public lands, anytime anywhere.

That would be sweet.

Lizard

PostPosted: 9/29/2003, 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I want the Hilleberg Akto. A roomy one-person tent with ample vestibule and headspace. Designed for four-season weather, can actually be used in all four seasons. Weighs less than three pounds. Costs nearly $350.

http://www.hilleberg.com/Catalog/akto_339322.htm
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 9/29/2003, 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh I have so little and what I do have is so antiquated I would have to say a gift certificate for many monies so I can just practically start over!!! Rolling Eyes

I want to shine!
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 9/29/2003, 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

When I lived in Flagstaff I had a freind that bought a Northface 3 man tent (fit 2 comfortably). It cost him about $450. I loved using it with him and always lusted after it. I would love to own it. It had 2 doors for both people on either side of the tent, a fly that completey covered the tent, we were able to put our extra clothes and boots outside the tent, under the fly in the rain and nothing got wet, that give more room in the tent. the fly had a zipper door as well to get out. THis is what I really want.

I used to lust over the GPS, but a freind just gave me the Vista GPS unit. He never used it and said that he thot that i would get better use out of it than him. I just took it to Colorado and just loved it. It was great having it along. Cool

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 9/29/2003, 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

CatValet wrote:
A real custom built rifle, made specially for me by my gunsmith would be great, left handed action, 7mm-08, cryo'ed fluted barrel.

Remind me some time and I'll show you the custom Weatherby .300 Magnum made for my grandfather. Quilted maplewood (also known as curly maple) stock with desert ironwood tips. It has an original Weatherby 2x7 variable scope (with the adjustment mounts and focus in tandem on the top of the scope - very elegant position). Original German manufacture for all the parts with matching serial numbers.

I've only put about 40 rounds through it myself - and it is incredibly smooth and amazingly accurate. Just a beauty of a rifle. I'm sure I'd ever be able to sell it, and I know I'd never be able to find another one like it.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 9/29/2003, 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

As far as my dream piece of equipment: Hummer H1, fully-loaded (including GPS navigation system) wagon with a roof rack.

That should do it.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
ck1

PostPosted: 9/29/2003, 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Lizard wrote:
I want the Hilleberg Akto. A roomy one-person tent with ample vestibule and headspace. Designed for four-season weather, can actually be used in all four seasons. Weighs less than three pounds. Costs nearly $350.

http://www.hilleberg.com/Catalog/akto_339322.htm

Have you used their products before Lizard? I'm not familiar with this company...

Lizard

PostPosted: 9/30/2003, 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You probably aren't familiar with them because they are based in Sweden (I think) and are just now making the jump overseas. Hilleberg is very popular is Europe. I haven't used their products myself but I hiked with a guy from Great Britain for a few weeks on the PCT. He had this tent and I spent a great deal of time drooling in jealousy.
"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.”- Sir Ernest Shackleton, newspaper classified.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: