ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Your store
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
ck1

PostPosted: 9/16/2003, 9:46 pm    Post subject: Your store Reply to topic Reply with quote

I know I shop REI pretty exclusively, though on occasion I'll pick something up at Popular...I was wondering...where do you guys do most of your outdoor gear shopping?

"The Journey is the Destination"
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 9/16/2003, 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

REI
evenstar

PostPosted: 9/17/2003, 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

REI
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
desertgirl

PostPosted: 9/17/2003, 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

REI -- Sad but true most of my disposable income goes to REI Sad
I'd like to add Popular
Online:
www.rei.com/outlet/index.html?stat=othome
www.sierratradingpost.com - Get great deals
www.backcountrystore.com
www.summithut.com
Daryl

PostPosted: 9/17/2003, 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If they have it at popular, it's usually cheaper. If Popular doesn't have it I go to REI. I usually shop on line before leaving the house so I know what I want, where it is, and how much it costs.

PostPosted: 9/17/2003, 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I get all my clothing (sometimes even boots) at the thrift store. If its a piece of equipment I want to last for a long time I go to REI. Populars quality is just as good, but the popluar in my area has terrible customer service. I'm not saying all Populars are bad, just the one that would be convenient for me. So I go to REI

I would like to recommend against shopping at outpost.com, I recently bought a couple sets of two way radios from them and one of the of the sets just plain didn't work. They flat out refused to replace it for me and have ignored all my emails since then. Fortunately Fry's Electronics (outbacks parent-store) was very helpful in the replacement of the radios. Now I am very pleased with the radios permormance.
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 9/17/2003, 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I do most of my shopping at REI for convenience, and also check out Sierra Trading Post if I'm looking for something not in a hurry. I have met Keith, the owner and frankly I like the fact that he has the guts to be up front about his faith based approach, so I try to support him financially, in support of that.

I also love the incredible service and the staff training at Summit Hut. I wear a 4E boot, so thats where I get mine. -R
ck1

PostPosted: 9/17/2003, 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Has anybody had positive experiences with the Hiking Shack?

Lizard

PostPosted: 9/29/2003, 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, I like the hiking shack MUCH more than REI. Their gear is higher quality and their staff is better trained. I don't trust the REI boot fitters. Only problem with AHS is you will pay through the nose for their gear.

I usually go to Summit Hut when I shop locally, but more and more I am buying my gear online. Better deals and greater selection.
"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.”- Sir Ernest Shackleton, newspaper classified.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 9/29/2003, 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I go to popular 9 times outta 10 because there is one close to my house and as far as I know the nearest REI is across town as I am not lucky enough to live on the East side like the rest of you! I do find that if I stop into Popular frequently enough I get some really good buys.

I want to shine!
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 9/29/2003, 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have gone to Popular alot, but lately I have got alot of stuff from REI. I have been going there since I found out where it was at. There is now the Sportsmans in North Phoenix that I just got a few things from. That store is huge, but it seams to have a little of alot of stuff. There backpacking food was very limited, unlike REI who has alot of stuff, and they have a menu so they can get you things that they normaly dont carry. I just went on a backpacking trip in Colorado and before the trip needed alot of stuff, so I got stuff from all three stores, but mainly REI.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
ck1

PostPosted: 9/29/2003, 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've heard rumors that a Galyan's might being looking to open up out here...I really enjoyed having one nearby when I lived back east...tremendous store.

outside1

PostPosted: 9/30/2003, 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ck1 - I belive the talk is for Galyon's to go in at the future mall area around the 202 and 101 connection (but it is about 2 years away).
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 9/30/2003, 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Where could they possibly fit a mall at the 101-202 connection?
outside1

PostPosted: 9/30/2003, 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just to add my vote, I would hake to say REI is my number one choice for all outdoor gear. If nothing else there return policy makes the trip worth wile. They will take anything back at any time most so time with out even a receipt. It is great to have that confidence that if the item sucks you can take it back. (I will admit that I am bias because I did work for them back in Illinois, REI is good company to work for.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: