ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Tips and Tricks needed---Packing food for 9 days
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 5/25/2007, 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

When you get all of your stuff together, swing by the new house if you want, I'm sure we can get all of your stuff light and in order. I'll lend you a few other ultra light things for the trip. Have something that might take the place of the inflatable tube too.
Suz

PostPosted: 5/25/2007, 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yipppeee---just finished my last day of work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wooohooo! Happy to be done with my most challenging year of teaching ever............in 22 years.

Now I have a fabulous headache and I'm struggling with the decision to be made here about the flash flooding waters in the LC, the lack of blue and not really being interested in an alternative. I'm so picky.

Tom PMing you.
Suz

PostPosted: 5/26/2007, 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't know how it happened but my pack ended up at 39 pounds WITHOUT water.....geez! Crazy
I added
clothes---not many (long pants, long sleeve shirt, spare pair of socks)
sunscreen
hat
camera gear/tripod
headlamp
plastic spoon
coffee cup
5.10 canyoneers
tarp
toilet paper
nail clippers
first aide stuff
empty nalgene bottle
flash pack
toothpaste/toothbrush
bug spray

Perhaps I'll unpack and repack when I get up there to see if I was sleep packing. An 20 extra pounds????????
beckett

PostPosted: 5/26/2007, 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm so jealous to hear you are done with school! We get out June 12th...every year gets more and more challenging! I'm hoping for only one more year with the big kids...it will be great to get back with the younger students. Let me know if you hear of any job openings!
Linda

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 5/26/2007, 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wish our fire gear would come in at 39 lbs. Have a good trip.
PageRob

PostPosted: 5/26/2007, 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ely just got done this week too. She wants to sleep for a week. Happy trails.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 5/26/2007, 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dang I like the ultralight gear I have collected over the years. I know my pictures are not so fine I am sure but the camera is fully waterproof and sand proof and weighs 6 oz. My pack this time of year without consumables is around 5 pounds.

It was warm today but there were some late afternoon clouds that dropped the temps here on the little colorado. . mp
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 5/27/2007, 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No clouds today. mp
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 5/27/2007, 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

maryphyl wrote:
My pack this time of year without consumables is around 5 pounds.

nice.. I just did a GC loop with 3 days food, 3 liters water. 15 lbs, 6 oz.

Suz' list looks similar to mine, with camera gear. Camera must be heavy, I dont get 39 lbs either. Are you carrying those shoes? why not wear them? can you ditch the Nalgene? 5.6 ounces ($8.00) vs. an Auquafina bottle 1.6 ounces (free)
nail clippers I dont know about-my nails dont grow too much in 9 days. Maybe yours do.
Have you found a use for that weird shape at the bottom of your pack? (i hear some complaints about Osprey- they do have a weird shape.) It doesnt make sense for packing to a lot of people.
Maybe HIG put a big rock in your pack... you gotta watch him! Shocked

what i do
DAB

PostPosted: 5/28/2007, 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Clearly one of the most informative threads on preparing for a long trip I have ever read. I've learned many great ideas to use on my first short 3 dayer this up an coming weekend.

Good luck on the trek - should be a life changing experience. Travel light and be safe!

- To those who do... and to those that don't. Cheers!
ARIZONA GUIDE

PostPosted: 5/29/2007, 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes it is very good stuff for sure. I use the dehydrated Beans alot on hikes they are a good filler. I just stocked up on the bumble bee chicken packs. I was in thatcher this weekend and went into wallmart. They were marked down to 100.00 on the tags. When i took them to the regester they rang up for 1 penny each. My wife ran back and we got them all. They are going in our 72 hour emergancy packs for us and the kids.
Suz

PostPosted: 6/4/2007, 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

beckett wrote:
Let me know if you hear of any job openings!
Linda

Linda---we have/had 15 openings at my school alone due to retirement and boundry changes. I'm guessing they are mostly filled at this point.

I wanted to add to this thread---as some" after the trip" info. Still don't know how my pack got that heavy but I was considering many options....like going without the stove, pot and fuel as MP suggested possible. We ended up doing several day hikes due to Mother Nature's Needs so the weight turned out to not be an issue....this time.

For breakfast----folger's coffee bags---yucky---not strong enough flavor even with a couple bags together. Ended up eating my homemade prosecutor bars for breakfast and as snacks. I think Diane has posted the recipe on here some place. I load them up with lots of different nuts and dried fruits. Some days I ate the homemade granola.

For Lunch--I ended up really digging the individual peanut butter serving cups with triscuts and dried apple rings. Pretty similar to what I would eat on a normal day and beyond yummy! I alternated that with Laughing Cow creamy swiss cheese in the wedges on wheat thins or triscuts. This cheese kept well in 134 degrees for 6 days. The baby bell cheese in the wax coating was a problem here in the desert. The wax melted into nearly liquid during the hot weather.....making it less than desireable to ever remove the wrapper. I think I'm still going to try the squeeze pouch of jalapeno cheese with crackers....that looks light and right up my tastebud alley.

For Dinner----sure liked the Mac & Cheese the best...with tabasco sauce of course. The freeze dried Chicken added nicely to just about anything. I've got plenty left so if you want to try out some give me a shout. Next time I think I might add some dried veggies to the mac & cheese.

For snacks....I LOVED payday candy bars and spicey peanuts...or bars of some kind.

Drink Mix----boy that gatorade was HEAVY! I actually bought and tried several different electrolyte flavoring packages. I found that I really like Elixir the best. I typically only drink water and coffee or juice on a rare occassion so I'm not a big sugar freak. I found the Elixir to be small light weight, easy to use and just the right strength for me. Drop one tablet into a quart of water and it fizzes. It sort of cools the water, too...at first.

thanks everyone------I'm ready for the next trip!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: