ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Tips and Tricks needed---Packing food for 9 days
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
YH
Hooli Wants to be just like me!

PostPosted: 5/18/2007, 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

fairweather8588 wrote:
Go to Andrew Skurka's website. He's got a entire section dedicated to Nutrition and if there's anyone who would know about eating trailfood for a prolonged period of time its him. Listening to a recent podcast, he stated that since 2002 he's spent about 2 years of his time out on the trail. (Thats a whole lot of bag nights)

I checked out the website...very informative from a guy who has to calculate everything, being a long distance thru hiker. Check out his daily meals...very simple.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 5/20/2007, 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I know I can't do 1 lb a food a day, I had about 9-10lbs on my last 6 or 7 day trip. 800 calories a day seems WAY too low, especially for the amount of energy you will be expending. I was hungry a lot and didn't bring enough food (for my liking).

My standard is
Oatmeal for breakfast (1 or 2 packets of quakrs instant)
Flavored tuna for lunch (a bit on the heavy side, but I also don't like it in warm weather), so I would go Peanut butter and honey on a tortilla.
A 2 person mountain house for dinner.

I lacked the snacks on my last trip, had a few bars/gels/PB crackers, but only 2-3 things per day. I needed more jerky, dried fruit, trail mix type stuff.
Suz

PostPosted: 5/20/2007, 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hiked in the canyon today to Dripping Springs and had time to focus on food while feeling the climb and heat....carrying a backpack, pole, camera and juggling food.

I'm going to opt for a homemade granola (720 calories) for breakfast. Peanut butter and something for lunch, prosecutor bars & powerbars for snacks, a tinch of trail mix---(it's really too heavy and too hard to eat while moving) and a dehydrated meal for dinner. That should bump up my calories to around 1800 for the day. I'll add more for the climb out Tanner.

Yes, I have jerky, dried fruit, hard candy and triscuts. I have ordered the freeze dried chicken and hope to add that to some of the dinners for additional protien if it arrives in time.

Thanks everyone for helping me think this through.....it's not an easy task to pack food for that many days and still keep the pack light.
beckett

PostPosted: 5/20/2007, 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:

My standard is
Oatmeal for breakfast (1 or 2 packets of quakrs instant)
Flavored tuna for lunch (a bit on the heavy side, but I also don't like it in warm weather), so I would go Peanut butter and honey on a tortilla.
A 2 person mountain house for dinner.

I tried several mountain house meals on my last camp trip and couldn't get them to come out in the right consistency. I followed the directions without much success. I was very disappointed. Any suggestions ... I will not buy another one at this point.
Linda

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/20/2007, 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am not a big eater at dinner, and I use Safeway cup soups, the lentil, potato, red beans and rice, etc. ones. I repack them into sm. ziploc bags and put all into one lg. ziploc bag, which will fit many days' worth of dinners. I also often bring bagels to eat w/ the soup, but if no room, like when carrying a bear canister, I use MRE crackers instead. Breakfast is either granola or instant oatmeal, mixed w/ powdered milk, plus dry fruit. Lunch is crackers and p.b. and dry fruit, nuts and gorp. On short trips I do more elaborate lunches.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 5/20/2007, 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

beckett wrote:
I tried several mountain house meals on my last camp trip and couldn't get them to come out in the right consistency. I followed the directions without much success. I was very disappointed. Any suggestions ... I will not buy another one at this point.
Linda

Thats strange, I have probably ate about 50+ of those meals and seldom have a problem with them. The last problem I had was when I burned a hole into the ziplock I put them, accidentaly touching it against the stove. I have a little problem getting the dinners with rice to fully cook, so I just stay away from them normally. For me it's a simple as it gets, 16 oz of water (for every one, they don' vary) boil the water pour it in and let sit for 8 minutes or so.

When packing for a long trip they do take up much more room than say the lipton sides, they also aren't the cheapest, but I've been lucky the last two years buying them in bulk when on sale.
Cameron

PostPosted: 5/20/2007, 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Last mo I did a 7 day 50 mi backpack in Grand Canyon camping at a different site each day and my food pack was 7#. I repack each meal(at home) into a sandwich bag and when the meal is used the bag becomes a trash bag, (if you have any). Breakfast was oatmeal or a dry cereal, lunch, nuts, trail mix, dry fruit, dinner, instant rice with instant dry beans, ramen noodle,(toss the flavor packet) and add your own seasoning sun dried tomatos is great or instant dry beans, instant mac & chz, (from Costco, single serv pack) works for me I like to use 2 packs of the mack but only 1 pack of the chz.I also like to add a bit of chili powder.

When you come to a fork in the trail, take it
evenstar

PostPosted: 5/20/2007, 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I like the Mountain House Granola and blue berries; also the beef stroganoff and the lasagna in meat sauce. Like the new vacuum packed stuff....saves lots of room.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Cameron

PostPosted: 5/20/2007, 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Too much salt in the mountain house meals also I am a veggie head so not many choices.

Great article in June 07 backpacker mag. about the murder last year in Havasu canyon.

Success is no reason to quit.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/20/2007, 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm wondering if there are more vegetarian entrees available online not carried at REI, etc. Although, that might not solve your issues with the salt.

Saw the article in BPer, it's being discussed on HAZ, although we could re-open the topic here as well. (Haven't decided if I want to go back there again or not.)
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 5/20/2007, 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cameron wrote:
Too much salt in the mountain house meals also I am a veggie head so not many choices.

Great article in June 07 backpacker mag. about the murder last year in Havasu canyon.

Success is no reason to quit.

Maybe try http://www.packlitefoods.com/

Also, check the vegetarian meals available here > http://www.adventurefoods.com/afsearch.asp

kurt

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Suz

PostPosted: 5/20/2007, 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cynhikr wrote:

Maybe try http://www.packlitefoods.com/

Also, check the vegetarian meals available here > http://www.adventurefoods.com/afsearch.asp

kurt

Awesome sites Kurt, thanks! Placing an order!
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 5/21/2007, 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Backcountry Cooking

This Wednesday, 5/23/2007 @ 6:30 PM

Explore the adventurous world of backcountry dining. Members of our crew will share their favorite hints for planning and preparing tasty, nutritious trail meals.

Get tips for enjoying prepackaged foods as well as learn ideas for do-it-yourself cuisine.

Cost: Free

Registration Required? No.

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 5/21/2007, 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the links, Kurt. A little freeze dried meat added would be good (for me).

Freeze dried is the way to go for weight savings. I don't mind any of the Mountain House (Marine Cuisine) meals. The trick is to let it sit for 12 mins (the pack says 9), and make sure it's mixed real well after adding the water. I also like adding crushed red peppers, seasoning, or parmesan cheese half way through rehydration.

The packs are pretty big to begin with. It's easy to split it into two serving bags because it's all well mixed already. Cup-o-soup lunches are pretty light. Try adding cold water if you're not wanting to pull the stove out. It really isn't too bad. Tastes like a cold pasta salad. Heck, I don't even mind crunching ramen noodles like a snack.

It's a very fine line when it comes down to suggested calories vs needed calories. Stretch the limit. 9 days will fly by with no ill effects unless you really starve yourself. Just keep some protein bars handy for the strenuous trails.

Oh, and that GRAND BULL BURGER with GREASY FRIES at Jacob Lake yesterday sure was a tasty morsel after we climbed out... it even comes with extra skin... Wink
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 5/21/2007, 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Visit aisle 4 and 5 at your local Bashas'. New items; Knorr Sides Plus (aisle 5), noodles and vegtables in five different flavors. Very very good. Bumble Bee precooked chicken breast (aisle 4) 4 oz package.

If you know you have a water source the dry food section items work great. Water souce unknow, MRE's you can buy just the main course items which is cheaper then buying the complete MRE.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: