ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Tips and Tricks needed---Packing food for 9 days
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 5/17/2007, 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Go to Andrew Skurka's website. He's got a entire section dedicated to Nutrition and if there's anyone who would know about eating trailfood for a prolonged period of time its him. Listening to a recent podcast, he stated that since 2002 he's spent about 2 years of his time out on the trail. (Thats a whole lot of bag nights)

Kerouac
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 5/17/2007, 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi Hnak--Freeze dried chicken and packets of mayo and pickles taste a lot like tuna--I eat it on some crackers or rye krisp. You might like a dehydrator. I can put a whole jar of applesauce on a plastic sheet--fruit leather rolls up small and tastes nummy. I have some freeze dried apples that came in small chunks--they even have the skin on--I add a bit of sugar and some cinnamon. They plump right up in cold water.

Sorry you got sick--what a neat trip to miss however you missed the heat too so it is not all bad. Love, mp
Suz

PostPosted: 5/17/2007, 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hank, bummer! I sure am sorry that you are sick---please remember that I really want to do that hike and we'll figure out another time to do it, if you would like.

Yeah---ya got me thinking about freeze dried chicken a little more seriously fr cutting back on weight. I don't eat MAYO at all so that won't work for me but I bet I can find something else to mix it with.

Hey Maryphyl---did you get any rain up there yesterday? Water levels all still look good from what I can gather.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 5/17/2007, 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

nope--no rain--smelled like rain but nothing ever came of it
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 5/17/2007, 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
. Yes---the hair will most likely be a mess....maybe the shower and the blow dryer will be my thing I look forward to more than the food or cocktail.

You should be able to take care of that on a water hike. When we have water available we always shower up every day out there away from the water supply of course. Carry it to a convenient place and 10 minutes later you have a new outlook on life. Go easy on the soap and you need less water to wash. Recently we went into the BLM station in Blanding to get some info and the guy looked at us funny when we told him we had just finished a backpacking trip. We were washed up and I keep a razor in the vehicle. GF always has told me that nobody will believe we have been out there like that.

I bookmarked that food site that Mike put up and intend to delve into that further. Very cool.
Hnak

PostPosted: 5/17/2007, 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
Hank, bummer! I sure am sorry that you are sick---please remember that I really want to do that hike and we'll figure out another time to do it, if you would like.

Thanks, I surely didn't enjoy turning around and backing out... I definitely want to go back and do that hike again!!

MaryPhyl - I like the freeze dried chicken idea, I'll try to dehydrate some of that soon and see how it works...
IGO

PostPosted: 5/17/2007, 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Now that's my kind of hiking. I like 7 or 8 mile days but have done 5 or 6 many times. One thing I ALWAYS do on a week long hike; stay two nights in a place that is really hip and has water.....gone exporing.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Suz

PostPosted: 5/17/2007, 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah it sure sounds like a slooooooooooooow pace but it's hard to know what doing all those water/mud miles will be like. If we get out sooner, okay....but I can't imagine us doing much less that's for sure. It'll be fun. It could be 6 days of hiking and 2 days of car shuttling.

So I just put a few items on a scale to see how close I'd be to a pound of food for one day........ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........this is a lot harder than it seems! A package of oatmeal is 1oz and a package of poptarts is 4 oz. I'm seeing how this adds up. Weighing it is the KEY.

What about fig newtons?

I need MORE protien, more, more, more.
IGO

PostPosted: 5/18/2007, 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Fig Newtons are a no go. Culinary bricks.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Suz

PostPosted: 5/18/2007, 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Okay here is one day's worth of food weighing in at exactly one pound!! (29 grams of protien) 820 calories is that enough?

100 cal. oatmeal (4 grams)
180 cal. oats n honey granola bars (4 grams)
140 cal. 2.5 oz can Bumble Bee chicken salad/crackers (8 grams)
120 cal. Planters Trail Mix--berry, nut & chocolate (2 grams)
280 cal. Maryjanes organic Ginger Sesame Pasta (11 grams)
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 5/18/2007, 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You will loose weight at 820 calories a day. How are you going to make that up when you get back? Chocolate?

--------------------------------------------

6-8 mile days? No no no, 12-16 miles. Tommy is doing 20, remember. March, march, march . . . hut! 1, 2, 3, 4, hut! 1, 2, 3, 4, hut! 1, 2, 3 . . . . . . . Whatdayathink this is, a vacation?
Suz

PostPosted: 5/18/2007, 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm not looking for weight loss, unless there is something you've been meaning to talk to me about Laughing

If I add a container of peanut-butter that bumps me up to 1212 calories and 44 grams of protien.

from what I'm reading I should be shooting for about 90 grams of protien....where am I going to get that without adding weight?
YH
Hooli Wants to be just like me!

PostPosted: 5/18/2007, 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
from what I'm reading I should be shooting for about 90 grams of protien....where am I going to get that without adding weight?

90 grams seems like a lot. Average male requirement is about 80 and women about 50. Bump it up a bit because of the activity. I would grab some protein powder for additional umph. Keep in mind your body can only process and absorb so much at one time, the rest just passes through.

Check out the different nutrition/energy bars...some have more than others.
Cholla

PostPosted: 5/18/2007, 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
Okay here is one day's worth of food weighing in at exactly one pound!! (29 grams of protien) 820 calories is that enough?

100 cal. oatmeal (4 grams)
180 cal. oats n honey granola bars (4 grams)
140 cal. 2.5 oz can Bumble Bee chicken salad/crackers (8 grams)
120 cal. Planters Trail Mix--berry, nut & chocolate (2 grams)
280 cal. Maryjanes organic Ginger Sesame Pasta (11 grams)

I'll weigh in and add my 2 cents. Lots of good pointers so far. You are going to need a minimum of 3000 cal per day to maintain energy levels. Figure your resting metabolic rate, meaning just breathing, sitting, sleeping, and maintaining natural body equilibirum will consume about 1500 calories a day. Based on a variety of variables you will burn another 300 - 500 calories per hour of backpacking. I usually temporarily lose about two pounds when out for a week on a 3000 calorie per day diet.

Also, in the heat you will lose your appetite, but it is important that you take breaks and nibble on something about every hour at least, even if you don't feel like eating. You need to maintain your electrolite balance.

As Mom always said, eat a good breakfast. Smile One packet of instant oatmeal is hardly enough and if you go too light on breakfast you will never be able to get all the calories you need for the day.

I eat two packets of those instant packets of oatmeal freezer bag cooking style supplimented with fruit and nuts. Here is an example of what I do with nutritional values. In hot weather I also add a pinch of NoSalt which boosts the potassium levels. A lot of people don't get enough potassium which is required for building muscle.

Instant Oatmeal
2 packets 5g fat 54g carb 6g protein 280 cal
¼ C choc chips 32g fat 72g carb 7g protein 280 cal
¼ C banana chips 5g fat 5g carb 0g protein 75 cal
Total calories 635 cal

Instant Oatmeal
¼ C pecans 22g fat 4g carb 3g protein 210 cal
¼ C raisons 0g fat 31g carb 1g protein 130 cal
Total calories 620 cal

Instant Oatmeal
¼ C walnuts 18g fat 4g carb 7g protein 190cal
¼ C raisons 0g fat 31g carb 1g protein 130 cal
Total calories 600 cal

Hope all this helps and be safe.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 5/18/2007, 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz, Make sure you have more readily available carb calories ...With 820 calories you will loose weight alright but will you have the energy to hike ? You can do OK drawing on your body reserves for a few days but for 9 days having adequate intake will be important especially since you will have long uphill climbout at the end of you adventure.

I manage to cram in about 500 cals / meal on avearge + some snacking spaced out on 3 meals so that I am able to sustain my enery level for a whole day of hiking.

I have tried lowering my calorific intakes and have languished on my hikes so now I focus on keeping my energy levels up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: