ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Java Juice "Black Gold" Coffee..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAB

PostPosted: 4/25/2007, 4:13 pm    Post subject: Java Juice "Black Gold" Coffee.. Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is available at REI, right by the foods and check out. It was $1.25 each. and comes in a nice self sealed package. Says makes 12-16oz, but I'm a coffee head (and a hopp head with beer) so, 4-6 oz makes a nice strong esspresso style.

I just tested it after a big lunch and a boring day at work, and I must say, very good rich taste, smooth, not bitter, and a good caffeine kick. I'll be bringing a bunch on our Canyon trip!

all we need now is a milk steamer!! Capacino anyone??

Actually, I know a guy that makes his own extract at home and brings camping. Much cheaper too.

http://www.javajuiceextract.com/

And a good review of the product...

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/java_juice_orwm2006.html

http://www.singleservecoffee.com/archives/009235.php

- To those who do... and to those that don't. Cheers!
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 4/25/2007, 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kurt "Cynhiker" recommended this some time age. I bought the 80 count box online and the current price there is $75. I like it strong so I use 2 packets per 16 oz.
YH
Hooli Wants to be just like me!

PostPosted: 4/25/2007, 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikingrl told me about this some time ago. It's good!
strawlady

PostPosted: 4/25/2007, 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Is it Fair Trade coffee that guarantees farmers have been paid a living wage and they have not ravaged a third world country to produce it?
IGO

PostPosted: 4/25/2007, 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh poopy. Don't tell me that!
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
DAB

PostPosted: 4/26/2007, 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

strawlady wrote:
Is it Fair Trade coffee that guarantees farmers have been paid a living wage and they have not ravaged a third world country to produce it?

Hey, no telling. I know nobody is paying me a fair wage these days! I'll leave the regulating to the regulators.

- To those who do... and to those that don't. Cheers!
strawlady

PostPosted: 4/27/2007, 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was actually sincere in my question. There was a very good PBS special last week called "Black Gold" on the struggles of the independent, local coffee farmers vs multinational coffee. I personally look for the Fair Trade stamp whenever I buy coffee and I can find it at Fry's, Target, Bruegger's Bagels and any health food store. Some churches sell it, too. There is also Fair Trade chocolate now. I thought that a store like REI that makes its living from the environment might also carry Fair Trade coffee, but I guess the answer is no. One of my goals is to get to Costa Rica and visit some of these farms. If you don't know what this is and you wish you did, there is more info at www.fairtradecertified.org , www.equalexchange.com , www.fairtradecoffee.org , etcetera.
paintninaz

PostPosted: 4/27/2007, 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

From the Java Juice website...

Quote:
Sustainable Coffee
Our Approach to Coffee Buying

At Java Juice® we support numerous projects designed to improve coffee quality and the quality of life for individuals and communities working in all aspects of the coffee industry. From farm communities to corner coffeehouses, new and innovative approaches to traditional business practices have changed the definition of sustainability. Rather than continuing to follow the historic boom and bust cycles that long defined the economic history of coffee, companies like Java Juice are working directly with farmers to encourage biodiversity and economic sustainability.

To achieve this goal, these companies involve themselves in several aspects of the coffee supply process that historically were left to the whims of the marketplace. These include:

Buying Practices. Many companies, including Java Juice are encouraging their coffee buyers to become actively involved in non-profit groups such at Coffee Corps, which are devoted to training coffee growers in methods of production that are quality oriented and environmentally sustainable.

Paying a Fair Price - Whether it is Fair Trade Coffee or Relationship Coffee, Java Juice® and many other community minded companies are devoting time, resources and funds to finding quality coffees and paying a fair price for each lot. Traditionally, coffee farmers are most affected by drops in world coffee markets. Through futures contracts and a commitment to maintaining fair pricing, farmers are shielded from the unpredictability of the international commodities markets. Key to this process is transparency in pricing. By opening the markets for all parties to see, coffee buyers and farmers can operate on a more equal footing. Finally, companies have to commit to paying fair prices for the majority of acceptable coffees and not just for the cream of the crop.

Paying for Quality - paying for quality doesn't simply mean paying higher prices for coffee beans. It also means investing in infrastructure and knowledge that enables farming partners to improve and maintain the quality and sustainability of their crops. At Java Juice®, our sales help support a number of groups devoted to improving the living conditions of farming communities. 'Grounds for Health' is a non-profit group that provides preventative cervical exams to women in coffee growing regions. Additionally, Coffee Kids develops educational programs for the children of framers and processors in developing countries.

At Java Juice our philosophy is to be an active participant in bettering the quality of life for coffee producers and also bettering the quality of coffee they produce. We believe these goals are not mutually exclusive. If you have questions about Java Juice® and our sustainable business practices please feel free to inquire at

Very Happy

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
strawlady

PostPosted: 4/27/2007, 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cool, so the answer is yes! I think that little round symbol near the top of the box is actually a Fair Trade symbol. Thank You!
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 4/27/2007, 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

strawlady wrote:
Cool, so the answer is yes! I think that little round symbol near the top of the box is actually a Fair Trade symbol.
Thank You!

Maybe the answer is yes - they seem to tap-dance around a definitive answer, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
I just checked on my case in the pantry and the seal says "USDA Organic".

kurt

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
sacred_datura

PostPosted: 4/29/2007, 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Organic, shade grown, fairtrade... it's a lto take in. I just want to drink a cup of coffee and not have to worry about it! I do buy fairtrade and organic as much as possible.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 4/30/2007, 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cynhikr wrote:
strawlady wrote:
Cool, so the answer is yes! I think that little round symbol near the top of the box is actually a Fair Trade symbol. Thank You!
Maybe the answer is yes - they seem to tap-dance around a definitive answer, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
I just checked on my case in the pantry and the seal says "USDA Organic". kurt

Maybe we'll find out more about this. My Email to REI:
JW wrote:
Hi REI Stewardship People!

Thank you for what you do!

As a long-time REI member, I was already aware of REI’s position (and actions) on many environmental issues, but I was not sure of REI’s involvement with suppliers.

I read the 2006 Stewardship Report and part of my Supply Chain question was answered in the “People” paragraphs. However, unless I missed it in the report, can you tell me if REI is following (or planning to follow) similar standards for the Supply Chain regarding food production of REI’s edible products (sucn as “Java Juice” and the various pre-packaged dinners and snacks)?

A related question is: Is Java Juice a Fair Trade item? (Are the farmers, producers and processors paid a “Living Wage”)? It is marked “USDA Organic”, but is it also Fair Trade?

Are the other REI edible products Fair Trade items?

Thank you!

Sincerely,

(#---------)

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: