ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Digital Cameras
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suz

PostPosted: 6/28/2007, 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been using a friend's Pentax Optio W20. (thanks Hank! I really need to get it back to you soon) Nice camera but there are a few things that I would improve---the LCD is large but doesn't seem to adjust in different conditions and there's no view finder. The macro and zoom aren't wowing me------however, it's waterproof.

The new Pentax Optio W30 had doubled the capabilities of the W20. IT's waterproof for 2 hours underwater...great for snorkeling or that gives you more time to find it if you drop it in the water Rolling Eyes it's also dust proof, which I don't believe the other claimed and the LCD is improved, the macro is improved....and I might just need to check on of these out.

7.1 megapixel CCD, 3X optical zoom lens

JIS Class 8 Waterproof and JIS Class 5 Dustproof (IP58) performance allows underwater photography (3m below surface)

Full aluminum alloy outer body construction adds durability

High sensitivity of ISO 3200 helps prevent blurring

2.5 inch LCD (approx. 115,000 pixels) with anti reflective coating

SP coating prevents water drops from sticking to the lens

Auto locking door mechanisms adds protection for sensitive internal electronics

LCD Bright Mode allows the screen to be seen in direct sunlight

Interval Movie Mode available for timelapse movies
cakewalk

PostPosted: 6/28/2007, 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The no viewfinder thing bugs me too. In outdoor settings, it hard to see whats on the lcd screen. So you point, click and hope for the best.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 6/28/2007, 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would really like to see some pictures taken with it while snorkeling. I keep buying the underwater crank/point/shoot barely adequate pictures plus need to get them developed or at least put on disk.

At about $10 a piece, then developing or a CD make it $15, I've probably paid 1/2 towards a camera already.
Suz

PostPosted: 6/28/2007, 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think Hank did post some underwater pictures from his trip to Belize....isn't that where he went? Check that album out. The newer version says further under water for a longer period of time.
IGO

PostPosted: 6/28/2007, 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt Hoffman wrote:
RedRoxx44 wrote:
Any thoughts or websites or links reviewing any other waterproof, shock resistant digitals you guys can come up with???

Letty, check out this link: http://www.steves-digicams.com/cameras_wr.html

Hope this helps. Funny, I was eyeballing some underwater cameras and housings for my DSLR just last night. I was looking in the B&H catalog. Talk about expensive.

Steve's is the best consumer rate web site on the Internet as B and H is the best Internet resaler.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
paintninaz

PostPosted: 6/28/2007, 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have the early version of the W20 (it was called a WPi back then)...it's a 6 Megapixal, 3X optical zoom, Class 8 waterproof and does have the Class 5 dustproof thing too.

BUT I HATE the no viewfinder b/c the LCD sucks in daylight. You can never see anything you're taking a pic of...I'm not that crazy about the macro and the zoom either. I have a lot of trouble with the stabilization on anything zoomed, and almost anything in general. And almost all of my pictures from the rainy day Rim to Rim were blurred and foggy, so the "waterproof" feature kinda let me down.

I had a Pentax Optio camera (non-waterproof but can't remember the model) prior to this one and loved everything about it, so I've been rather disappointed with this one. Although, Hank and Diane both have a W20 and I don't hear them complain nearly as much as me (shush Hooli!)...I think I've got a bum camera...couldn't possibly be operator error on everything! Shocked ...or could it? Sad

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 6/28/2007, 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a camera that went in water also.... Doesn't work any more !!!! Guess it wasn't as moisture proof as they said, but if I think on it a while I don't remember them saying dunk-proof. Shocked I'm still looking for another also.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Hnak

PostPosted: 7/2/2007, 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
I think Hank did post some underwater pictures from his trip to Belize....isn't that where he went? Check that album out. The newer version says further under water for a longer period of time.

That's right, and the picture of the fan coral was taken with my older W10, which is a 6 megapixel camera. I wanted to get a W30 for the trip, but it was released too late, so I had to settle for a W20. I was pleased with its performance, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend a W30...
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 7/2/2007, 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a camera question of my own...
I am getting a camera phone and I noticed that I could get a cord that plugs into my computer. Does anybody know of the quality of the photos? Is it really worth spending $50 on a cord? THis phone also has the capabilities of shooting small videos.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/2/2007, 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think the camera phone's are like .5 megapixel. I could be wrong though. If it's $50 for the cord I think you would be a lot better off just buying a $100 camera.
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 7/2/2007, 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Tim. I couldn't imagine that a camera phone would make for a good image. Figured it might look nice on the phone, but thats about it. I Think I'll save the $$$

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/2/2007, 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Take a look at Sponges Mt. Humphrey's trip report, those pictures where taken with a camera phone. They are better than nothing, but I wouldn't replace my camera with a phone. (At least not yet)
IGO

PostPosted: 7/3/2007, 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I saw an add for a phone that takes 2 MP pictures but that doesn't do anything for the fabulous optics those things have.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/3/2007, 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

or there is the $750 Nokia N95, Phone, GPS, MP3 Player, Internet and 5MP Camera with a Carl Zeiss Lens. http://www.nseries.com/index.html#l=products,n95,demo
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 7/4/2007, 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I hate being at home cause I spend money--it's better if I'm out hiking. Instead of a camera bought a Fish Eye Lens for my Canon SLR on line. Good looking and highly rated 15mm lens. Not a bad price either but more than I need to spend. Neutral
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: