ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Digital Cameras
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
IGO

PostPosted: 4/20/2007, 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I carry a digital SLR. Kinda like a boat anchor. Nothing else. I forgo camp chairs and tevas for the luxury. Mine is a Pentex.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
sacred_datura

PostPosted: 4/20/2007, 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The zoom won't open and close. I can view pictures but I can't take any. I have, er had a Fuji FinePix A345. I paid about $150 at Target two years ago. When I try to take a picture it says zoom error.
threedogz

PostPosted: 4/20/2007, 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am par to Canon. I have the Digital rebel and store it along with the lenses in ziploc bags as well to avoid the dust on hikes.

Costco has the best deals if they carry the camera you are interested in. Whenever I buy anything digital I look to costco first if they have it, they not only offer a better price, but usually they include more accessories along with the purchase than most competitors.
Daryl

PostPosted: 4/20/2007, 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

if 3mp is enough for you (do you plan on printing over 8"x10" ever?) look on EBay for a Canon S1 IS. Fantastic camera. You should be able to get one for about $100.

Some shots I took with it:

http://www.pbase.com/darylf/image/42625227

http://www.pbase.com/darylf/image/42869444

http://www.pbase.com/darylf/image/42924704

The downfall of the S1 IS is the Macro capability is not that great. This is about as close as you can get with it:

http://www.pbase.com/darylf/image/42924515

And this was taken with the S1 and the extender you can buy for it:

http://www.pbase.com/darylf/image/42924685

This camera will always have a place in my heart as it's the first capable camera I owned and I learned a lot with it.

PostPosted: 4/20/2007, 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My first digital was a Fuji Finepix A310, it still works and takes decent pictures, just a big bigger than my pocket camera's now. If was a good camera at the time, but I wouldn't buy one now, knowing what you can buy some of the canon's for.
sacred_datura

PostPosted: 4/20/2007, 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great shots! I mostly just share my pictures w/ friends and family via Flickr or e-mail. I'm not printing posters. Laughing You guys are so helpful! Thanks for the input! I'm definitely going to make a decision based on what I've learned here.
PageRob

PostPosted: 4/21/2007, 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sacred_datura wrote:
The zoom won't open and close. I can view pictures but I can't take any. I have, er had a Fuji FinePix A345. I paid about $150 at Target two years ago. When I try to take a picture it says zoom error.

Same problem with my old Fuji, I assume its due to dust and grit accumulated within the lens motor gears, but could also be just old and/or old rechargeable batteries.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 4/21/2007, 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daryl wrote:
Keep in mind that after buying a camera you'll also spend money on a memory card, unless you have one. So factor that into the budget.

My $.02 on digital cameras: the best all around camera on the market today would be the Canon S3 and the competitions versions of it. It runs about $350 though. However, for that you get a 6mp camera with amazing macro capability (it can focus on a dust spec on the lens!) has great zoom range (36-412mm I believe), is image stabalized, and can actually be used at higher ISO setings. Image quality is not far off DSLR's that cost much more as well. Not to mention the interesting photo color modes and it takes DVD quality stereo video.

On a budget you can find the Canon S1 or S2 used. Both great cameras as well, just older versions of the S3. I've had all 3 versions at one time or another and I didn't/don't feel lacking when I take it with me and leave my SLR stuff at home.

I went and took a look at the S3 IS yesterday, was amazed at the zoom and focus ability just looking at things in the store at target. I may end up getting one for when i know I'm taking a "picture" trip. I still like my pocket size camera's though for the everyday stuff.
bigfoot

PostPosted: 4/21/2007, 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have used a Canon (A95 - there is a newer 6MP version) and I just love it. I hauled it all the way up Mt. Kilimanjaro and several Grand Canyon trips - it takes a licking but keeps on ticking Very Happy - pretty good pics and amazing battery life - with the rechargeable ones; I get about 400 pics with the LCD on.

We also have a S2 IS (newer version is S3 IS) - and it is worth every penny (especially the IS feature - when you want to take pics with a heavy pack and are breathing heavy the IS comes in really handy) - also takes AA batteries although the LCD display plain sucks as compared to the A series, and the lens cap was probably designed by a 3rd grade amateur - other than that it is a great camera.

My last trip in the Grand Canyon I hauled a Canon DSLR with a high perf. glass zoom lens (the camera+harness+lens came it somewhere between 4-5 lbs Crazy ) - pics are great - but man the glass lens is way too heavy. Unless I get stronger and loose a few lbs. I'd stick with the S3.

Do not compare yourself with others; you will end up bitter or vain - for there will always be people better or lesser than yourself.
sacred_datura

PostPosted: 4/21/2007, 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I bashed it on a rock so that had a large part of it. Razz
PineHiker

PostPosted: 5/1/2007, 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I’m with Threedogz and IGO I prefer the SLR boat anchor. Mine is the Canon Digital Rebel with a 2G card and a 512M for back up. It’s a little heavier than other cameras but I hike stove-less so it takes the place of the stove, fuel, and pots.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 5/1/2007, 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

"Do not compare yourself with others; you will end up bitter or vain - for there will always be people better or lesser than yourself."

BigFoot~~~~love the signature and recognized it from the "Desiderata" immediately.
Very nice.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 6/28/2007, 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am looking now for a camera for the more difficult, wet, adventures I go on whether its caves or canyons. I've done some research on an Olympus camera 770 that is waterproof, shockproof for a 5 foot drop and crush resistant to 220 ft/lbs I think. Mixed reviews on it re: quality control issues it seems.
My next choice is a primarily underwater camera by Sealife but is also shockresistant, would be heavier than the Olympus.
Medium pricing on these cameras, the Sealife is a 6 MP and Olympus 7.1MP.

Any thoughts or websites or links reviewing any other waterproof, shock resistant digitals you guys can come up with??? I want something I can wear on a lanyard around my neck, tuck in my shirt, pull out for pics and not have to mess around with packing/unpacking it for pics.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 6/28/2007, 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bloody Hell, just found a Ricoh Capilo 500W that sounds absolutely magnificent with a magnificent price tag too--1100 buckeroos. The search goes on--think I'll email Canon USA and ask to be a tester if they have something in development.
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 6/28/2007, 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

RedRoxx44 wrote:
Any thoughts or websites or links reviewing any other waterproof, shock resistant digitals you guys can come up with???

Letty, check out this link: http://www.steves-digicams.com/cameras_wr.html

Hope this helps. Funny, I was eyeballing some underwater cameras and housings for my DSLR just last night. I was looking in the B&H catalog. Talk about expensive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: