ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Superstition Ridgeline Planning
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 9/9/2003, 5:54 pm    Post subject: Superstition Ridgeline Planning Reply to topic Reply with quote

Since I got such a good reaction in the other topic I thought I'd go ahead and post this here;

I am planning on hiking the ridgeline of the superstitions sometime. I haven't decided on a date yet. I would be interested in other's accounts of the ridgeline. I am familiar with the area, but what specifically is the terrain like. Is it as steep as it looks from the map? How much foliage is up there and is it as dense as around the base of the mountain? Really any general account of the trip along the ridge would work.

I am planning on going up through Hieroglyphic Canyon and comming down through Old West Boulder Canyon. I've been around the general areas of both access points but never all the way up, If you have TOPO Arizona you can download my tentative route from here;

http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/topo/file.cfm?fileid=1558

I believe fritzki and arizonaheat expressed interest in this trip. If you two would like to go I would be happy to have you. Just let me know. If anyone else wants to go jump on board quick cause I'd like to keep the group size real small for this one.
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 9/9/2003, 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've done the Ridgeline, Supe Peak, and some of the other canyons w/ Arizonaheat and others. I'd be interested in this hike. As most folks know, I'm always up for an off-the-beaten path adventure!!

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
azhiker96

PostPosted: 9/9/2003, 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Depending on the date, I'd be interested in doing this hike also. I've hiked the ridgeline twice but both times from Carney Spring to the Flat Iron. The new route sounds fun.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 9/10/2003, 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Beer I've always wanted to exit via Old West Boulder. It won't be easy but that is what makes it fun.
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 9/10/2003, 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't know if it makes any difference to anyone, but I was planning that this be a two day trip. I just want to make sure I have time to enjoy the whole experience. I don't want to have to rush through 15 miles of off trail just to make it to the car before sundown.

In the next couple months, I'm going to do some dayhiking into the access points. If anyone interested in the trip wants to accompany me for these exploratories, let me know. I'll probably be getting out to glyphic canyon (and maybe the peak) this saturday.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 9/15/2003, 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The next 4 weekends are pretty much booked for me. I'm taking a small group into Havasu Canyon on the next full moon. (Oct 10 - 12) I've been taking some of the group memebers for training hikes to make sure they are ready for the hike and can enjoy the trip. If I get a spare day I'll give you a call. I could do an exploratory hike most mornings during the week though if that's an option for you.
Jhim

PostPosted: 9/16/2003, 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey, Matt,

Some of us have been planning almost the same hike for a while, touch base with me or Tom. I've got some people who are definitely up for the whole deal for an over nighter.

We need to talk more about the Hieroglyphic approach to the ridgeline, you might be out ahead of me on researching it. But I've got some other thoughts about it. Let's think about some of the descent options, and return routes.

Let me know when you have time to get up there again.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 9/17/2003, 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt you guys could of been close to where you needed to be Sat.
Did you guys go right or left when you started following the Cairns?

If you guys have never done the Ridgeline before, there is something you need to know when trying to access through Hieroglyphic Canyon. On a normal Ridgeline hike when you cross Hyroglyphic Canyon, the route desends a good distance off the Ridgeline into the Canyon before you traverse across Hieroglyphic.

If you are trying to access the actual Ridgeline by going straight up Hieroglyhphic you won't make it. Your only access once you are to the normal traverse point is to head right toward Supe Peak or left toward Flatiron.

Check out my photosets and others on HAZ and there are several shots that show the traverse. I will look when I get home from work and link to the Hieroglyphic ones so you have an idea of what to look for.

Sid Hayes has probably done this ascent more than anyone, I have only done it once. It may be helpful if you approach Hieroglyphic from the top first and look down toward the bottom to get the lay of the land. Just a thought, I know you were close to where you needed to be though.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 9/17/2003, 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Arizonaheat is right... Hieroglyphic Canyon is hard to follow from the bottom to the Ridgeline but easier from the top down.

There are cairns where the 2 routes meet on the Ridgeline.

I think I saw somewhere where a guy has a GPS waypoint or 2 for where the trails meet.

The bigger unknown is access via Old West Boulder Canyon.
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 9/17/2003, 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I went right when I started following the cairns, I should have gone left. I think I was pretty close to the ridgeline access from what you guys said. Sid PMed me the other day and told me what he thinks I'm doing wrong so next time I go up, I'm trying it his way.

In the next month or so I'm going to get out into ogrady canyon and try to find a feasable route up old west boulder canyon. I'll keep you guys informed.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 9/17/2003, 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

matt gilbert wrote:
I went right when I started following the cairns, I should have gone left. I think I was pretty close to the ridgeline access from what you guys said. Sid PMed me the other day and told me what he thinks I'm doing wrong so next time I go up, I'm trying it his way.

I've followed the cairns too left and I'm not sure left is the answer.

I believe the last drainage leading to the Ridgeline is on your right but left can work too but it's nearly vertical.

Where did you get off trail?
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 9/17/2003, 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Do you mean the hiero trail? right after the glyphs the trail ends, but I think you know that already... I'm not sure which trail you mean.

The area I think I should have gone left was right at the third set of falls foing up the canyon. The only other draw that went right looked virtually impassable, maybe it got better though.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 9/17/2003, 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

matt gilbert wrote:
Do you mean the hiero trail? right after the glyphs the trail ends, but I think you know that already... I'm not sure which trail you mean.

The area I think I should have gone left was right at the third set of falls foing up the canyon. The only other draw that went right looked virtually impassable, maybe it got better though.

Yes the hiero trail... Done the left draw b/4 which is nearly virtical and required 1/2 mile of 4x4 climbing and takes you about 1/2 mile off course.

I'll see if I can find the appropriate GPS coordinates. Do you GPS?
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 9/17/2003, 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

God willing I will be GPSing soon. but for now I can plot your waypoints onto my TOPO AZ program and at least see the course. Did you make it to the peak on that one?

I'm getting married next month and we registered at REI, one of the first things I put on our registry was the biggest baddest GPS I could find. (I think it was the etrex, but I'm not positive)
desertgirl

PostPosted: 9/17/2003, 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

matt gilbert wrote:

I'm getting married next month and we registered at REI, one of the first things I put on our registry was the biggest baddest GPS I could find. (I think it was the etrex, but I'm not positive)

Way to go...I like that!!!! Ok Ok
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: