ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
San Juan Mtns. Colorado??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmc

PostPosted: 4/5/2007, 10:01 am    Post subject: San Juan Mtns. Colorado?? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anyone played around in the San Juans and have a report to offer up?

Trail head info and or pics of the countryside?

A few buddies and I are looking for an out of state wilderness hike in there a few years down the road, maybe as soon early fall 2008.

thanks in advance.
cmc
IGO

PostPosted: 4/5/2007, 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm going on my first scouting party in May for 3 days. I'll report then.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 4/5/2007, 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Girlfriend and I adventured up in the San Juans about 20 years ago and they are sweet. The Blue Lake area is stunning. We found deep snow in August below the rocky peaks. We went up there a couple of times and always were very pleased with the terrain. Too many miles to remember everything exactly but it is magic.
lzyboy

PostPosted: 4/5/2007, 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Are you looking to bag some of the 14ers there? Navajo Basin out of the Dunton trailhead is a great starting point for Wilson Peak, Mt. Wilson, and El Diente. Beautiful area with lots of great peaks. On the other side, Lizard Head, any of the areas around Rico or even way back down near Delores offer great places to get away and see some beautiful country. If you're into backcountry fishing, lots of places for that, too. A little Google time and you should be able to find anything you're looking for in that area. Of course, a little further east, around Durango or Vallecito, well... have fun...

Rosalia de Castro
evenstar

PostPosted: 4/5/2007, 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Set up base in Durango and just about any direction you go will take you on an adventure!
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Lizard

PostPosted: 4/6/2007, 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I went up this last summer, along the CDT in the area of the Rio Grande Pyramid, the Window, and around Ute Lake. The particular area I hiked was nice, as you get right into the heart of the Weminuche Wilderness quickly (as opposed to the trailheads outside Durango, where you've got to hike in for awhile).

Its a wonderful area. Just the drive up through Creede is spectactular. You can't go wrong with almost any place in the wilderness.

Do be prepared for rain though. It rained every single day of my trip. Its my understanding that this is par for the course for Colorado summers.
"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.”- Sir Ernest Shackleton, newspaper classified.
cmc

PostPosted: 4/6/2007, 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Not looking at tackling any 14'ers any time soon. Just get out into the land and see them from the bases at this point. I've seen a bunch of pictures from the area with the lakes and valleys which have us mesmerized and itching to go.

cmc
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 4/6/2007, 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I personally think one of the most interesting areas (though I've never been there, but always wanted to) is the Ice Lakes Basin. This area is not to far north of Silverton. I've seen many pictures of this area and the mountians are very rugged and COLERFULL! I would highly recommend this area. The Silverton area also has tons of hiking.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
DAB

PostPosted: 4/26/2007, 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've missed a couple opportunities to do the 4x4 trip through all that mining country with some old friends. Seen the pic's - UNBELIEVABLE COUNTRY!

Funny you mention CO - I was considering an Upland hunting adventure there this year or next. Lots of Grouse and Pheasant! Very Happy

- To those who do... and to those that don't. Cheers!
IGO

PostPosted: 4/26/2007, 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Not this time. Every since I moved back to this part of the country I've spent almost every chance I get going hiking. This 3 day weekend I'm going to ride my motorcycle around the 236 miles San Juan Skyway and the Million Dollar Highway. One of the finest scenic rides in this country. And yes, I will be scoping for hiking realistate as hard as I can scope for it.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
IGO

PostPosted: 4/26/2007, 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
Set up base in Durango and just about any direction you go will take you on an adventure!

I home basing in Cortez right at Mesa Verde.
cmc

PostPosted: 8/1/2007, 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well after a drive through 160 from I-25 to Durango my buddy and I are very serious about a trip up into either the South San Juan or the Weminuche areas. We'll probably first just go up for a long weekend to scout out what would then be our next trip, a 8-10 day pack in trip to really see the countryside.

Has anyone come across a similar forum for Colorado hikers I can research on?

IGO I'd love to hear how your May trip went.

Thanks in advance.

cmc
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 8/1/2007, 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

www.14ers.com
IGO

PostPosted: 8/1/2007, 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My May trip was washed out by family health issue. The San Juans still illude me. I can smell'm from here though. One day I WILL go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: