ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Rock Climbing at South Mountain
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suz

PostPosted: 4/1/2007, 8:53 pm    Post subject: Rock Climbing at South Mountain Reply to topic Reply with quote

I ventured out to South Mountain with 4 other friends for my second attempt at Rock Climbing. Two of the people in the group were having their first outdoor experience. I was still thinking it was going to take me about 4 outings to really enjoy the fine art of Rock Climbing. Today went much better than my first trip in the McDowell's. Laughing

It was a great rush to reach the top!
yoyoMulti Multi yoyo

We picked a better area for me and the other two rookies than the previous time out--same rating just not the dreaded granite slab. There were hand and foot holds out the wahzoo and it was a shorter climb--only about 40 feet of rock face. It was amazing how psychologically the 40 foot wall seemed more managable than the 100 foot wall from the previous attempt.

I was still a little nervous about getting on the rope and climbing but felt much better prepared with my new shoes. I watched one climber struggle a bit and almost opted out. Eventually I decided I was ready.....and I was. Climbed part of the way with a huge lizard beside me...possibly a chuckwalla...black with an orange tail....had to snag some pictures of him climbing next to the rope. I did the climb 3 times. Banged up an ankle nicely and ended up with blood blister on my middle finger that I'm not really sure where it came from.

Great day, nice starter place, and loved my new $7.55 shoes! Really looking forward to the next climb....and tossing around the idea of dusting off the mountain bike and tackling the shifting thang....surely I've got some mountain biking friends. Rolling Eyes
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 4/1/2007, 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

$7.55 shoes?
Suz

PostPosted: 4/1/2007, 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

REI dividend, 20% coupon and a gift card=$7.55 climbing shoes .......no pack yet....leaning toward the Osprey.
PageRob

PostPosted: 4/1/2007, 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I really need to get back into climbing. Confused
vaporman

PostPosted: 4/1/2007, 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you want some sweet rock climbing, try up in Queen Creek Canyon above Superior. Though it starts to get a tad warm up there in April.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 4/1/2007, 10:45 pm    Post subject: Go Suz! Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK, sounds like you're over the shoe issue. And maybe over the "first six feet problem". You'll get hooked and then it get's really wild! IMHO the rock in QC is much better.

Huh, you've got got lot's of MTB friends! Dust it!

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 4/1/2007, 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rock Climbing at South Mountain Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:

....surely I've got some mountain biking friends. Rolling Eyes

You got 2 here....my girlfriend and myself!

Awesome that you got to climb again. If you don't mind, I'm gonna relay my weekend. My dad and brother flew in from PA on Friday to visit for a few days. Yesterday (Saturday) I took them to Jacks Canyon near Winslow for a day of climbing. It was my dad's first time climbing outside, and his 2nd time climbing ever! He made it up a 5.6 first try, and did part of a 5.8 and a 5.5 which is totally sandbagged (it's actually much harder than a 5.5). Anyway, I am really proud of him for giving it a go, and he had a great time. My brother is obsessed with climbing, so this morning I took him to Queen Creek near Superior for some bouldering. My brother is so freakin' strong! He tore it up!
Tomorrow we are going to Patalaki and the West Fork in Sedona. Maybe Fay Arch if there is time. They leave on Tuesday. This is has been the most awesome weekend of my life!

Congrats on your climbs. If you ever get that bike out, we know tons of great rides all over the state (and Nevada)!
Suz

PostPosted: 4/2/2007, 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, over the shoe thing. It makes a huge difference to have a good fit. I got some great help at REI getting fitted and deciding on the right shoe. They talked me out of the prettiest shoe and the pair that felt super sweet explaining that my feet are not yet strong enough to handle those shoes. The shoes are tight and the nailbeds of both big toes are super sensitive from a previous injury and feeling a tad bruised today. My friends expected me to be sore all over so if it's only my big toes that hurt, I figure I'm doing pretty good!

We had originally planned on Queen Creek but local events and obligations required us to stay closer to town. I'm still planning to get to Queen Creek maybe after Easter. My friends mentioned we are just about out of decent temps for local climbing.

Okay I just looked the Mountain bike is a GT idrive 4.0 full suspension.....sounds good doesn't it? I'm sure there are better mountain bikes now....this one is old now but looks new. The tires are flat from sitting in the garage, I suspect the tubes need to be replaced....and then I need to figure out the new theory of shifting....it's a tad different from when I was a kid and had 10 speeds.

Matt---awesome weekend! Hope you enjoy the next couple of days with your Dad and brother! I'm sure they are going to be telling you that they want to move here.....why would they want to stay in PA after they have gotten a taste of what AZ has to offer?
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 4/2/2007, 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz, suggest you take your bike to Junction Bike Shop at Signal Butte and the Trail, SE cornor. You may need, tires tubes and a tuneup. Gret weather for riding nd may ride in the Desert Classic (raod ride) next sat.
Of my nine bikes, one is a mtn. bike, a hardtail that is set up for camping.
Suz

PostPosted: 4/2/2007, 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ah more gear.......of course....... Crazy
Suz

PostPosted: 4/3/2007, 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have finished adding pictures to the album.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 4/3/2007, 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks like you enjoyed yourself Suz... Shorter climbs like that I might would consider but anything more I'm not sure I could feel comfortable. Glad you are enjoying it.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Erock

PostPosted: 4/3/2007, 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I often wondered if there were climbing spots in South Mountain, now I know! Yet another activity to add to the trail running there . . . from the pictures that looked like a good place to get the feel of climbing outdoors.
Suz

PostPosted: 4/3/2007, 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi Erock! Welcome to the site! I haven't really tried trail running....although once I remember.........well---never mind won't scare you off after one post.

This was a great place to give outdoor climbing a whirl....with seasoned folks, of course. Next climb will be in May....I can't wait!
IGO

PostPosted: 4/4/2007, 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks like a bunch of fun.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: