ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Go hiking in bad weather?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

When your planning for a hike and the weather gets bad, what do you do?
Go anyway. Rain, snow, shine, doesnt matter, every day is a good day to hike!
82%
 82%  [ 28 ]
Sleeping in sounds good today
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
The house could use some cleaning
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
I'll drive to the trailhead and if it does not clear up then I'm going back home
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
I'm up anyway, What's on the TV?
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Sit and pout! WHY DOES THE WEATHER ALWAY GO BAD WHEN I WANT TO TAKE A HIKE!!!!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 34

Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 3/26/2007, 9:32 am    Post subject: Go hiking in bad weather? Reply to topic Reply with quote

When the weather gets bad on the day you plan for a hike what do you do?

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
TalusMonkey

PostPosted: 3/26/2007, 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm fortunate to have EVERY weekend free - so I'm fine with rescheduling the hike for more agreeable weather. Bad weather is most annoying when I've planned a trip with friends who only get one free weekend a month.

But who wants to have to clean muddy clothes, boots and a tent anyway? Plus, the car gets so filthy. I enjoy the vast vistas common to good weather. I can wait for a pretty day - the photography is much better!
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 3/26/2007, 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have hiked in all kinds of weather. I can't say I will always go anyway. There has been the time when I used the excuse to get something done at home that badly needed done but wouldn't have gotten done had the weather not gone south on me....

I want to shine!
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 3/26/2007, 1:05 pm    Post subject: common sense rules or does it Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm not voting on this one mostly cause I think it needs another catagory: Common Sense. Recently several experienced hikers died because they feared no weather conditions. Obviously it wasn't a good day for them to hike. So for sure I dissagree that every day is a good day to hike. Some days it is foolish to hike. What do you want from a hike? If a little rain or wind doesn't bother you or adds to the achievement, then go for it. Just don't say, "I'm going no matter what the weather conditions." I think you really need to assess the conditions and not always just from the trailhead. You can't always beat the elements and a lot of times it's best if you don't even try.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 3/26/2007, 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just got back from an exceptional trip up on the Az strip. Camped up on a high point when two supercell t-storms came together. Spent a couple of hours leaning into my tent wall with high winds and hail, didn't trust the single pole not to snap.
Tent glowed bright orange with the lightning nearby. Great experience. I love storms. Had a wonderful clear and calm morning and hiking on damp sand so good footing.
I think the dramatic skies make for wonderful photography too.
The amazing change from sunny, to stormy, to a wakening desert all damp with rain is what drives me. I love all of nature's faces---
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 3/26/2007, 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I could have used another catagory too--really cold and windy will keep me home. mp
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 3/26/2007, 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: common sense rules or does it Reply to topic Reply with quote

kurthzone wrote:
I'm not voting on this one mostly cause I think it needs another catagory: Common Sense. ...best if you don't even try.
Stan-the-man, you always make sense, dude!

However, you're in the minority (though your opinion is a vote... Smile ).

As Roxx wrote...up on a high point when two supercell t-storms came together. Spent a couple of hours leaning into my tent wall with high winds and hail, didn't trust the single pole not to snap.
Tent glowed bright orange with the lightning nearby. Great experience. I love storms. Had a wonderful clear and calm morning and hiking on damp sand so good footing.
I think the dramatic skies make for wonderful photography too.
The amazing change from sunny, to stormy, to a wakening desert all damp with rain is what drives me. I love all of nature's faces---

Stan, were you with us at Yuma Point, huh?

Seeing that Canyon-local micro-storm blast upstream, though below us, made my neck hair stand on end!

We all raced for the tents, and left Tim in mid-sentence Smile About midnight the storm raged-on and got some of us out into it.

Dramatic memories, we'll never forget!
JW.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 3/27/2007, 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This last saturday it rained all day long, mainly in the morning to mid afternoon. I was planning on going to Boulder to do some hiking to start getting in shape. I looked outside and almost thought to myself, "Looks like a good day to sleep in." Then i thought, no its just rain. So I braved the weather and set out and did a hike in the rain and snow. It was snowing above 7,000 feet. turned out to be a really good wet hike and say only about 5 people all day on a trail that ussually is busy.

Stan, Your right about commen sense. I have decided not to go out because it was way to nasty to hike. Ussually when this happens is because I am planning a hike above 12,000 feet and the weather is really bad. In this case I'll try to still go hiking, but do something under 9,000 feet. I always have a back up plan. Ussually if I don't go out it's cause its just not safe to drive there, which typicly only happens in the winter.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
azhiker96

PostPosted: 3/27/2007, 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I voted to go anyway but I do agree with Stan. If I think conditions are dangerous I will bail on a hike. My best adventure at Reavis Ranch was when a monster thunderstorm rolled in. I saw the clouds forming and cooked supper early. Finished cleaning up as the first drops started to fall. Lay awake as lightning lit my tent up wondering if my camp was clean enough to avoid an ursine adventure. About midnight I heard horses screaming and people yelling which told me the horse campers must have brought sweet feed. I had nothing to compare with molassas so I fell asleep to the sound of rain, confident that the horse folks would be playing with the bears that night. The next day Reavis creek was ripping, about 3 feet deep which made me have to chose my route carefully. It was fun.
threedogz

PostPosted: 3/27/2007, 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Last year my husband and I got stuck in the middle of a Microburst thunderstorm just .9 mile from the top of Mt. Washington in New Hampshire. The most scariest thing I ever encountered. The weather was forcasted to be in the 80's and some cloud coverage before we started hiking. I never experienced such horrific lightning and
poor visibility. I hiked this trail before, so I knew the general direction to go to reach the top.

We made it to the top, but another microburst rolled in while we were trying to dry off (there is a weather observatory on top) and were told no hikers were allowed to hike back down, we had to take the shuttle, but well worth saving our lives over.

Before this experience, I used to disregard the weather and still venture out, but not anymore. Next time I see threatening clouds, I will definitely start hiking back down towards safer ground. There is just too much exposure on a hike such as this, and then when you are canyon hiking, there are other threats such as flash floods.

The hike we did the day before Mt. Washington was Franconia Notch, and we hiked passed the Basin. A week later, an infant was killed by a falling tree in that area. There was so much flood damage in that area recently that all the trees looked unstable and the stream by the lake rerouted itself. Nothing looked familiar to me except for the Mountain itself, thats how devastating the flooding was in that area.
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 3/27/2007, 12:08 pm    Post subject: D'oh Reply to topic Reply with quote

JW wrote:

JW.

No, wasn't that when Suz had a close encounter with the edge? Let's get her take. I wonder if any of you would have made the trip knowing what you were in for. From all the trip reports and post-hike banter I recall I think you were all concerned and mostly wanted out during the onslaught. I've been in a few of those weather conditions that made me think, "What am I doing here?" Remember Ridgeline a couple years ago Jim, in December when the weathermen had forecast a slight chance of sprinkles and the morning started off mild and no one seemed concerned? Remember when you shared your coffee with me on the summit as a few snow flakes began to fall and we still weren't concerned, then huge snow flakes a little further along and then driving cold rain and wind the rest of the way?. Of course you finished up ahead of me by about two hours, but coming down off the Flat Iron soaked and cold cautiously calcutlating every step had me cursing the forecast. GB laughing at me as I fell on my ass in Siphon Draw was fun. I think there were a few who were a little nervous about us being up there in those conditions. I remember looking for possible areas of shelter all along the trail just in case. I must admit there was a certain sense of exhilaration and accomplishment when it was all over, but having known beforehand what the REAL weather was going to be I probably wouldn't have done it. It sure felt good sitting on Kent's sofa in a nice warm robe while my clothes tumbled in his dryer and we all laughed about how stupid we were. I also remember a storm we encountered while backpacking on the Ballantine/Cline trail. Just as we were finishing dinner it began to sprinkle, then a steady downpour. All night was off and on rain and very close thunder and lightning. Some may recall that was the hike that did Hooli some damage. I agree with you Letty, when we got up in the morning the sun had broken through and there was a steamy mist being hit by the sun with beautiful gold hues and the smell of the damp desert was very pleasing. But as we packed up we saw another storm approaching and of course got pelted on the trek out. That was the year of rain. Seems like all of our outings that year were in the rain. Sometimes you just have to go for it and hope for the best, but always be prepared and know your limitations. Everything I read about the recent mishap on Mount Hood was that extreme weather conditions were forecast, albeit not the monster storm that it was. Consider if a rescue was necessary how easily could they get to you in whatever conditions you are in. Should I go or should I stay? Picacho Peak? Toss a coin. Mount Hood? Stay home.

Quote:
On Thursday, December 7, 2006, three experienced climbers—Kelly James, Brian Hall, and Jerry Cooke—began what they expected to be a two-day expedition on the more-treacherous north slope of the mountain. On Sunday, December 10, 2006, the climbers failed to rendezvous as scheduled with friends, and James made a cell phone call to family members indicating that the group was separated and in trouble. Rescue attempts were forestalled by freezing rain, heavy snowfall, low visibility and winds of 100 to 140 mph, caused by a widespread winter storm. The last sign of them alive was a signal from James' cell phone late on the night of Tuesday, December 12, indicating it had been turned on. Clear weather on the weekend of December 16 allowed almost 100 search and rescue personnel to scour the mountain. On Sunday, December 17, searchers found a snow cave and climbing equipment, approximately 300 feet from the summit. Inside the snow cave, the rescuers found a rope, two ice axes and an insulating sleeping pad. At approximately 3:29 PM PST, the body of Kelly James was found in another snow cave near the first one. On Wednesday, December 20, 2006, as good weather ended, the Hood River County sheriff announced that the mission was now being treated as a recovery rather than a rescue. Brian Hall and Jerry Cooke remain missing and are presumed dead.

Desert-Boonie

PostPosted: 3/27/2007, 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Basic hikes should still be a go if it's a little wet outside, I mean you have to enjoy every aspect of nature don't you? The conditions don't get too bad here in AZ for the most part, but I will be the first one to head back if i'm up on a mountain and I think the conditions are getting bad. But a little rain, enjoy getting wet and looking up into the sky while the drops hit your face. It will bring a smile to your face for sure.

"If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead"
Suz

PostPosted: 3/27/2007, 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: D'oh Reply to topic Reply with quote

kurthzone wrote:
JW wrote:

JW.

No, wasn't that when Suz had a close encounter with the edge? Let's get her take.

Eek

come on......wouldn't ya rather talk about flowers, food or my new macro lens? LOL

Yes, I was the participant of an unexpected weather event in the Grand Canyon a few years ago during a freak storm. Thankfully I lived to tell about it and hopefully have grown wiser in the process. Honestly, it's not something I like to talk about.......but do remember it vividly. Yuma Pt. was great---could have done without the "event". Certainly seemed like the mother of all storms......didn't need one that big!

Weather is so personal and it really is important to respect the differences that each of us holds without put downs or attempts at humiliation and without playing ourselves up as being more courageous because of what we will do...to each his own....really. I understand "your passions" to be out there and hope "you" can accept/respect my caution in a mutual way.

Stan, you are correct, that event has changed how I do many things....possbily pushing me into the obsessive category. At the time I blindly followed along.... I had NO idea what the weather predicitons were for that hike. Basically I thought "the others were going so I was going with them". I didn't even bother with weather.com, the forecast or anything along those lines....don't even remember any conversation about the weather leading up to this hike or any other hike for that matter....maybe a mention to take a rain jacket from time to time....I thought "it's Arizona, how bad could it get?!" Pretty clueless, I suppose. I never understood the way the canyon sort of creates it's own weather. I never understood the intensity until I participate in it. I'm sure I had common sense at the time............sky looked beautiful...crystal clear....gorgeous day for a hike in the canyon....why not? I don't think I really even knew we were going to be in such an exposed area.

Now I check the weather. I even research it a bit and attempt to accommodate it...backing out isn't my first thought. I watch for the extreme conditions mostly. Hazardous weather conditions, warnings, alerts and so on. I even know when our NOAA.gov guy gets up and starts chatting beforing posting warnings. (that's the part that borders on obsessive, I suppose) If there are dangerous winds I try to sleep in a 2000 pound tent that is placed a significant distance from the edge. If there are massive monsoons in a flash flood area.....I'm gonna need more than my 5.10's to make me feel confident that it's a place I've gotta be.

Sometimes the best researched plans can go south....sh*t happens....and we do the best we can....ya gotta do what you love...

I love a good storm, enjoy hiking in the rain, don't mind hail or snow and kind of like being on the edge a little more than most people I know.........but I still cringe with the sustained high speed winds or gusty conditions...my heart races and stops a bit, I sort of brace myself and always think I should have eaten just a little more to be better anchored....I'm sure those feelings are a result of that event.

I know my abilities and tolerances better than ever.....live and learn I guess....thankfully I have had the opportunity to grow that way. The hikers Stan mentioned did not....I wonder if any of us could catch ourselves in a situation similar to this? 100-140 MPH winds----could they ever have expected that?

Solo hiking is a whole different ball game.

I didn't vote on this one...............struggled with the answer choices...and pondered how I would rewrite the question.

Have fun and be safe!
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 3/27/2007, 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

TalusMonkey wrote:
I'm fortunate to have EVERY weekend free

Amen to that! I wish I had more than just the weekend!
TalusMonkey wrote:
But who wants to have to clean muddy clothes, boots and a tent anyway? Plus, the car gets so filthy.

This is where I lose you...are you serious? I think Redroxx has the right attitude. Weather makes for great photography! And if you're worried about having to clean your gear, why even go out at all?
IGO

PostPosted: 3/28/2007, 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Funny, coming from a motorcycle rider I tend to stay out of high winds but on a still day, hiking in snow or rain is just another new route and I'd go for sure. I don't like extreme heat; head for the high country then.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: