ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Fire in Bear Wallow wilderness (Reno Fire)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/4/2009, 4:47 pm    Post subject: Fire in Bear Wallow wilderness (Reno Fire) Reply to topic Reply with quote

There's a wildfire in the Bear Wallow Wilderness which has been burning slowly under management for a couple of weeks. Today it seemed to plume up a lot and we could see and smell the smoke here in Round Valley. I am not sure of the exact location, but was told it is near the Reno Lookout. I have been unable to find any info about it on the internet.
Erock

PostPosted: 11/4/2009, 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I haven't found any info either. I wonder if it's the same fire that's the source of all of the smoke here in Taylor. Ran into the smoky hazy about 10 miles out of town.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/4/2009, 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There are several controlled burns near the 87 road, around Green's Peak, near Greer, which also are putting out a lot of smoke, and I wouldn't be surprised if they are doing the same thing on the Lakeside District and on the WMAR, and it sure looked like the wind was blowing it over your way this afternoon!
Suz

PostPosted: 11/4/2009, 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You've probably already searched these 2 sites, right?
http://www.inciweb.org/state/3/
or
http://www.abc15.com/content/news/wildfires/default.aspx
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/4/2009, 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yup, checked those. I heard it had been around 600-800 acres, so not really huge. Maybe it will be posted up on one of those boards by tomorrow.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/5/2009, 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok it's up on nifc, they're calling it the Reno Fire. They say it went to 3,000 yesterday, but right now it must be blowing up pretty good because we can't breathe here in Round Valley. I hear that yesterday when it plumed up and then lay down, it lay down right over Pinetop. So that must be the same smoke Erock was breathing in Taylor as well.

Trying to find out more is like pulling teeth. Most of the fire websites are manned seasonally, and the official season is over, so the fire doesn't show up on very many sites or in the news.

Actually, the fire doesn't exist. I think the reason it doesn't exist is that they don't want to scare the people away from the major media event to take place here on Saturday--the cutting of the US Capitol Christmas Tree on the Alpine District.

I feel sorry for the tree. No, I'm not going to go watch it fall!

They are going to have some kind of display deal, after they cut it down, it'll be here in town, they will bring it here to town and display it, I think out at the rodeo grounds. Everyone is excited. Well, I take that back, I'm not excited, just because I'm told to be.

Maybe the fire will flare up and burn the porridge tree.
Deborah

PostPosted: 11/5/2009, 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, I agree with you, I wouldn't be too excited to see a tree cut down just to decorate with. Especially one from the forest.. that's why they have tree farms.

Crying or Very sad
Erock

PostPosted: 11/5/2009, 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The smoke is pretty bad here today. Felt like I was driving into a fog bank.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/5/2009, 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm sitting down here in Springerville at my moonlighting job, and every time anyone walks in they just let in more smoke. It's pretty strong-smelling, my nose is running and feeling very weird, and earlier today my throat was feeling a bit raspy, too. I do feel sorry for anyone with respiratory problems. I am sure they are suffering. I would bet my next moonlighting paycheck that the ER is very busy tonight.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 11/6/2009, 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:

Actually, the fire doesn't exist. I think the reason it doesn't exist is that they don't want to scare the people away from the major media event to take place here on Saturday--the cutting of the US Capitol Christmas Tree on the Alpine District.

I feel sorry for the tree. No, I'm not going to go watch it fall!

They are going to have some kind of display deal, after they cut it down, it'll be here in town, they will bring it here to town and display it, I think out at the rodeo grounds. Everyone is excited. Well, I take that back, I'm not excited, just because I'm told to be.

Maybe the fire will flare up and burn the porridge tree.

'Wow, what a fine tree!
'What's that smell?'

'The runners up.'

GTG
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/6/2009, 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Heh heh!

Well, here's an update:

"The Reno Fire was started on September 7, 2009, in the Bear Wallow Wilderness and has been slowly growing since then until about two weeks ago when weather conditions encouraged it to grow significantly to its present size of over 4,500 acres. Fire managers have been monitoring this fire daily and have placed it in a management plan that allows the fire to continue to burn at low to moderate intensities to benefit various forest components. Expected benefits to this type of management include the reduction of accumulated woody vegetation and debris on the ground which will produce a healthier forest, improve wildlife habitat, and reduce fire suppression costs.

The Reno Fire is currently burning in the Gobbler Point area and is heading toward Snake Creek. Several roads have been closed to public use including the Gobbler Point Road (Forest Road 8154), the Snake Creek Road (FR 25D), and the McKibbons Pond Road (FR25I). The fire has also moved west onto the San Carlos Apache Reservation and is nearing the Black River. San Carlos fire officials are also monitoring the fire and hope the fire will help consume ground fuels remaining after a timber sale. Fire managers have noted that the active burning window is about three to four hours each day as long as the sun is shining. At other times of the day or when clouds cover the sun, the fire intensity is very low and produces more smoke. Even several inches of snow last weekend did not extinguish this fire. Hunters are asked to be especially careful with campfires now as dry conditions will allow any escaped campfire to become a wildfire.

Part of an Incident Management Team led by Dugger Hughes has been assigned to the Reno Fire as of November 5, 2009, to help local fire managers make timely and effective decisions about management options and to keep costs to a minimum. This “short” team is working with tribal fire officials to maximize the benefits of this wildfire since much of the area has not seen a fire on the landscape in a long time. Meanwhile the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests are postponing some prescribed fires due to the heavy smoke currently existing in communities. Lately the Reno Fire has been producing smoke that has covered many Apache County communities whereas the smoke in Show Low and and other Navajo County communities has mostly come from tribal prescribed fires."

This is latest press release from Apache-Sitgreaves NF
Erock

PostPosted: 11/6/2009, 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for posting those updates. Smoke was a little better up here today. I had my hopes up that all this smoke was the result of juniper trees burning . . . oh well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: