ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Rock Climbing in the McDowell's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suz

PostPosted: 3/18/2007, 7:40 pm    Post subject: Rock Climbing in the McDowell's Reply to topic Reply with quote

Had my "first" real outdoor rock climbing event today. I went with a couple of friends that decided I was ready for "the granite slab" in the McDowell's........wrong! I've gotten pretty good at going down but UP is an entirely different world. I've been to the gym and played around with a variety of walls and routes.....kind of got the hang of it...but knew it would be much different in the real world. When we arrived I looked at the slab and immediately began searching for an alternative route to get to the top and avoid the slab.I think it was a 5.7ish climb. I looked at the route around the side to the top and even asked about it but was told it was much harder that in looked......pheuuuuuaaaa! And then they tried to scare me with tales of snakes and gila monsters. I KNEW I could figure out how to get to the top without that silly granite slab....seemed goofy to battle that slab to the top when I could figure out a different route......not sure I completely understand the sport of "climbing". I like the idea of getting to the top safely and then rapping down. Eventually I'll enjoy it, I'm sure. LOL

It was a beautiful day and I had a pile of fun with good friends! Can't beat that!

I learned lots about "pro" and how to tie some critical knots. Threw on my harness, laced up my rented climbing shoes, piled on the sun block and watched carefully. My friend led...climbing and clipping in the rope. It was my turn next. I tried.......I really did...I tried and made it a solid 12-15 feet up before I felt like I was getting spit off the wall. My feet were slipping in the shoes and I couldn't face the next 80-90 feet of climbing....I made a decision to back off. The other friend jumped on and started up. I looked around and took off around the side of the slab (in the direction that was "harder than it looks") and worked my way through the brush, over the boulders, under the branches, along the ledges and before I knew it I was at the top! That was the easy way for me! My friends decided not to fight the sun for the last pitch and headed down....while I was at the top waiting for them. Laughing

Apparently it is customary to hit Greasewood Flats after your first climb in the McDowell's so we did, it was fun, too. Huge burgers.

I loved the McDowell's! Can't believe I haven't been hiking in there before now!! Next climb will be in Queen Creek.....and I'm really looking forward to it....maybe I'll have my own shoes by then.
DesertDog

PostPosted: 3/18/2007, 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I know you took some pics....... Bored
desertgirl

PostPosted: 3/18/2007, 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

1st climb or 1st hike Suz ? Very Happy Glad you caught some sun n granite!
Suz

PostPosted: 3/18/2007, 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ahhhh LOL.....well it was my first climb..........I just took a detour when the initial route didn't work for me.
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 3/19/2007, 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

When were you climbing? Me, my boss, and a couple of other guys from work took a ride in our two jeeps and saw some rock climbers in the McDowell's on sunday, maybe around 11:00 or so

Kerouac
Desert-Boonie

PostPosted: 3/19/2007, 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I love the Mcdowell's, did you go into the Tom's Thumb area at all or were you more to the north? That area is full of boulders to climb along with the Thumb which can be climbed to the top without any gear if you're careful. One other thing, where is Greasewood Flats?

"If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead"
Suz

PostPosted: 3/19/2007, 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

fairweather8588 wrote:
When were you climbing? Me, my boss, and a couple of other guys from work took a ride in our two jeeps and saw some rock climbers in the McDowell's on sunday, maybe around 11:00 or so

I think we got out of the car around 9am and back to the car just before 1pm. We had planned to start earlier but got distracted at AJ's.

There are about 6 or 7 routes in the area/slab we were on. I remember one was called "peaches and cream" --probably named to make reference to the way one's vomit looks while attempting it....although it isn't the route we were doing. If you know where that one was we were over just a bit but in the same area. There was a group of three other climbers out there when we arrived and then three more came in as we were leaving. 50% men, 50% women.

I do have some pictures that might help identify the area but have had my hands full with the injured baby turtle. It is an area described in climbing brochures available at REI and is pretty popular among the climbers. My friends (that are seasoned climbing instructors) said I was making good solid moves and decent choices, breathing and listening to them but I freaked...my tolerance for that sort of "fun" is still developing, I guess. It certainly wasn't the looking down that caused the problem but the looking up that made me sweat. Again 4 -5 more tries and I might be on my way to a new expensive hobby! Laughing I can't hardly wait!

We went in off 119th and came out on 128th....and drove way back on some fun roads....don't think I'd want to be in a honda accord back there. The homes, the scenery, the shopping---it's all beautiful in that area. I'd like to do some hiking out in that area. Can you camp out there? Ever see any wild life? I'd be up for some climbing without gear if you know the area and would like to meet up for that. It will help me get ready for the trip JC promised to take me on .

No we were not at Tom's Thumb. They did point something out at the top that would be a "real" hike and climb to get to first and then some extra "climbing" and rappeling. Thankfully we're saving that for a later date.

Greasewood Flats is right around 128th and Alma School, I think. Really hoppin for a Sunday afternoon.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 3/19/2007, 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Rock Climbing in the McDowell's Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
I loved the McDowell's! Can't believe I haven't been hiking in there before now!! Next climb will be in Queen Creek.....and I'm really looking forward to it....maybe I'll have my own shoes by then.
Congrats! The shoes are critical, Suz. They have to fit so tight, you'll swear they're the wrong size.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Suz

PostPosted: 3/19/2007, 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Really good advice.

I think I had a pair of shoes that was a size or so too big....room at the toe = hence the slipping inside the shoe. The wear on the stealth rubber soles of the 5-10's is important to watch and they could have been laced tighter. Live and learn....next time I'll have that under control.
Suz

PostPosted: 3/20/2007, 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

DesertDog wrote:
I know you took some pics....... Bored

pictures are up
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 3/20/2007, 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz,

You are super-awesome for giving climbing a try! I think the area you were climbing is the Sven Slabs area. I've never climbed there but I intend to. The closest I've been is Pinnacle Peak...good climbing there as well.
So you're going to Queen Creek/Oak Flat huh? That is an awesome place, probably my favorite in Arizona. There are many different areas there, each with their own character. The rock is much different than the McDowells and there are not many slabs (though there are a few in the Mine area).
My brother is coming to visit for a few days at the end of next week. He can climb scary-hard. So I am going to take him to Queen Creek to knock his ego down a few notches. I am also taking him and my dad to Jack's Canyon near Winslow for a day. If you decide to try more climbing, that is a fantastic place for a beginner.
I'm glad you had fun. Climbing is what got me interested in hiking and backpacking. Climbing rocks!
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 3/20/2007, 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Congrats, Suz, for doing a "first"! You go Girl!
Suz

PostPosted: 3/20/2007, 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks GeorgAz, firsts are always fun and I appreciate the encouragement.

Hey Matt----any easy technical climbs in Queen Creek? or is that an oxymoron? I hear that the quartz is super slick, queen creek area can be like sand paper and after all that I'll be wishing to be back on that granite slab in the McDowell's!
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 3/20/2007, 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just looked at your pics, very cool....nice to see your continuing expansion of enjoying the outdoors. You go girl! Wink
Cholla

PostPosted: 3/20/2007, 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice photos. Looks scary to me. I actually think I would feel more comfortable jumping out of a plane for some reason. Enjoy your new past time and be safe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: