ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Costco Photo center---online orders
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suz

PostPosted: 3/15/2007, 9:06 am    Post subject: Costco Photo center---online orders Reply to topic Reply with quote

The instructor for an Arizona Highways workshop highly recommended the Costco photo center. I uploaded and ordered a 20x30 print on Saturday for 9.99 to try out the service. (+4.99 shipping) The poster should arrive today! Multi

While checking out the other services offered by their online photo center I noticed they will do personalized 12 month calendars for 9.99, too. You can change the layout on each page, select from a series of designs, insert pictures into the date squares, add titles and captions. You can start creating a calendar by selecting any starting month and save it. It allows you to work a little and come back at a later date to add, change or complete. You can order one or more for that same price.....not a bad deal!

I can't wait to see how this little service works!
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 3/15/2007, 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Costco Photo center---online orders Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
The instructor for an Arizona Highways workshop highly recommended the Costco photo center.

Have you described this workshop? I'm interested in the details. Where was it? What level was it? Thanks.
Suz

PostPosted: 3/15/2007, 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I enjoyed the workshop but honestly got much more from my time with Derek (dabreez) in Sedona. I've participated in two Arizona Highways workshops now--both with the same instructor. One was at the wildlife zoo with some class time and a critique time. Fabulous photographers attending this workshop----way out of my league but I learned lots from them.

The most recent workshop was Making Money with Your Camera and 5 of us from this site attended so they can give feedback, too. Obvious by the title of the workshop-- the focus was $$ making not skills. We covered photography employment options---mostly journalistic work, pricing standards, printing/displaying, marketing and some ideas for getting a foot in the door. Participants brought photos to share. Some were good, most were not.....and oddly strange mix of people attending this workshop.

The encouragement/advice I received was to get to a patent attorney ASAP. I've located an attorney specializing in patents and have placed the initial call but that's as much as I have had time for to date. Most of this instructor's suggestions for all participants seemed to relate to cropping issues.

Did I answer the question?
IGO

PostPosted: 3/15/2007, 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I email digital work to Wal-Mart. The results have been absolutely wonderful but 8x10 is as big as they go. Do you have to be a member of Costco to use this service?
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Suz

PostPosted: 3/15/2007, 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, you must have a Costco membership ID #.
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 3/15/2007, 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
Participants brought photos to share. Some were good, most were not

Suz, I hope you're not talking about me when you say most were not good. Wink There was some interesting stuff being shown.

Suz wrote:
.....and oddly strange mix of people attending this workshop.

Well...this statement may be true since I was there.

Suz wrote:
Most of this instructor's suggestions for all participants seemed to relate to cropping issues.

That ate up valuable time. I was kind of annoyed by that, but then again, it's because of those photos that you were refering to above.

By the way, I got a Costco membership a month ago, just for the photos. I will probably get some made this weekend. They will likely be around 11" x 14". I can't wait!
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 3/15/2007, 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
Did I answer the question?

Yes thank you very much.
Now I'm going to look at your photos to see if I can tell when you took the class Laughing

And now that attorneys are involved, are you going pay-per-view? just kidding, some of my best friends are attorneys.
IGO

PostPosted: 3/16/2007, 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SUZ, did you burn RAW images to CD or did you email jpeg or what did you do exactly?
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Suz

PostPosted: 3/16/2007, 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt Hoffman wrote:

By the way, I got a Costco membership a month ago, just for the photos. I will probably get some made this weekend. They will likely be around 11" x 14". I can't wait!

I have an HP9800 that prints up to 13x19 here at home. It's the larger sizes that I'm most interested in printing through a service cheaply.

IGO---no CD, it's all done from home. I uploaded a JPEG. The site gives resolution or pixel sizes for each of the different sized posters and then flags the sizes not recommended for the image you're using. I actually ordered 2 prints of the same photo. One print will be their largest recommended size (16x20) and then I ordered another that they didn't recommend(20x30) because I was curious to see the difference....it will be a good 10.00 lesson.

Al---my images are hardly worth charging for views. The attorney is for classroom materials that I have created using my photos. Right now I'm working on a set of nature/land formations....slot canyons, creeks, waterfalls, mountains, meadows, oceans, forests, deserts, rivers....need 26 different ideas......and I'm short about 13 so if you have any ideas toss them out.
PageRob

PostPosted: 3/16/2007, 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sand dunes, hoodoos, alcoves, lakes, geysers, caves.
Suz

PostPosted: 3/16/2007, 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

PageRob wrote:
Sand dunes, hoodoos, alcoves, lakes, geysers, caves.

Good---that's 2 more--didn't have sand dunes and alcoves. Where can I take a photo of an alcove? Maybe we stopped under one to break from the rain at Arch Canyon. You're on a roll, keep thinking!
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 3/16/2007, 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just checked out the Costco website and found that you can just join just the Costco Photo Center. I did and plan to try it out soon. Thanks Suz for the "Heads-Up" on this.
Suz

PostPosted: 3/16/2007, 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pictures have arrived and I'm super psyched! They are awesome---even the larger size that wasn't recommended. Now to find a deal with the mats and framing....maybe Michael's when they have a 40% off sale on custom framing?????
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 3/16/2007, 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Someone told me about Aaron Brothers for frames, I haven' tried it yet but they have big sales and 2 for 1 deals. Have you tried them?
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 3/16/2007, 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Weaving several threads together aren't we . . .
Suz wrote:
Right now I'm working on a set of nature/land formations....slot canyons, creeks, waterfalls, mountains, meadows, oceans, forests, deserts, rivers....need 26 different ideas......and I'm short about 13 so if you have any ideas toss them out.

I see that PageRob added a couple. Here are a few thoughts that I had:
Beaches, fields (not sure how it's different than meadows), canyons (not just slot canyons), glaciers (tough in AZ at this time of year Laughing ), Lava flows, rock slides, lakes, oceans, cienagas, marshes, swamps, riparian oasisis (oases?), springs, Alpine (above timberline), areas burned, areas flooded, Craters.

How many do you have now?

Great alcove north of Ribbon Falls. Many of the Ruins are in Alcoves (Rogers Canyon Ruins).

Anybody else have any?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: