ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Skydiving!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 3/11/2007, 7:02 pm    Post subject: Skydiving! Reply to topic Reply with quote

I went sky diving for the first time today here in Sacramento,CA. It was only $100 for a tandem jump from 13k feet free fall to about 4,500 feet. Another $55 for a DVD of it and for the first time I would recommend it.

I can't describe just how awesome it was, the most adrenaline filled 1 minute of my life on the free fall. Once I get home I'll see if it's possible to get the video of it on here, or maybe I can throw it up on U-Tube or something then.

Since it's about $200 for a tandem jump in Phoenix I think I will try and go again next weekend. Just the jump this time, no video.

I was expecting a loss of stomach type rollercoaster ride and it was nothing like that. Even the chute opening was smooth. If you've ever wanted to do it I would say go for it, will be the best 10 minutes of your life.

-TIM-
Eek
IGO

PostPosted: 3/11/2007, 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm going some day. It's been on my list for a long time.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 3/11/2007, 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Learning to ski is on my list as well. Were only about 2 hours from Tahoe, but I can't decide if I want to jump out of a perfectly good aircraft again or go skiing. Confused

Looks like it's $200 to go in Vegas, thats the same as Phoenix from what I've found. skydivelasvegas shows a 1 mile or two mile jump. Don't skimp on the $50 to do the 1 mile, seems like you would only get a few seconds of freefall (the best part). Even 2 miles is lower than we did it out here.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 3/11/2007, 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tim,
Your an adventerous soul.... I don't have a desire to jump, but Good for you to do one more thing that you wanted to try. Hope you have as much fun the Second go around. Wink

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
azhiker96

PostPosted: 3/11/2007, 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tim, this has been on list for awhile too. I'm thinking this is the year.
ChefTIO

PostPosted: 3/12/2007, 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My father in law did it for the first time in Aug for his 70th b-day. He bought the video of the dive as well. He had a sh*t eaten grin all the way down. Sure looks like fun. He says he is going to buy a dive for my b-day in July. mmmm
outside1

PostPosted: 3/12/2007, 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Way Cool Tim.

I had done 9 jumps about 12 years ago over a long summer, and loved it. Started out with a static line jump and then moved on to AFF (Assisted Free Fall). It is a whole different experience when you are the one letting go of the aircraft.

It truly is a amazing life list accomplishment congrads.
Cholla

PostPosted: 3/12/2007, 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Way cool, Tim! Perhaps, I'll give it a try someday. Congrats on your first jump. Multi
IGO

PostPosted: 3/12/2007, 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
Learning to ski is on my list as well. Were only about 2 hours from Tahoe, but I can't decide if I want to jump out of a perfectly good aircraft again or go skiing. Confused

Looks like it's $200 to go in Vegas, thats the same as Phoenix from what I've found. skydivelasvegas shows a 1 mile or two mile jump. Don't skimp on the $50 to do the 1 mile, seems like you would only get a few seconds of freefall (the best part). Even 2 miles is lower than we did it out here.
There are outfits here that really are not in the skydive tourism trade. You spend the money and invest the time and your first jump won't be tandum. I really should look into this further.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
evenstar

PostPosted: 3/12/2007, 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'dike to do this, but not as a tandum. Crazy See how big a crater I can make! Mr. Green
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
strawlady

PostPosted: 3/12/2007, 8:19 pm    Post subject: Skydiving! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Okay, I gotta "jump in" because I made over 200 jumps as a teenager into my early 20's and had a blast! Nobody went tandem back then - they just had a line tied to the plane that automatically opened the parachute on the first three jumps and then you had to figure it out yourself! It only cost $4.00 a jump for airplane gas back then - but I'm dating myself. Anyway, I think its a much safer sport now. They have a school at Avra Valley Airport, right near Picacho Peak if anyone wants something to do after the GHOTM.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 3/12/2007, 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
I'dike to do this, but not as a tandum. Crazy See how big a crater I can make! Mr. Green

Applause Yahoo! Applause wave Multi
IGO

PostPosted: 3/12/2007, 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Insert "acme" pooooof sound here!
evenstar

PostPosted: 3/13/2007, 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HIG wrote:
evenstar wrote:

Applause Yahoo! Applause wave Multi

IGO wrote:
Insert "acme" pooooof sound here!

Aw...you guys would wait on the ground and catch me, right Question my fingers are crossed
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
IGO

PostPosted: 3/13/2007, 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm standing there with my baseball mit right now 'ol buddy? Come'on down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: