ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Forgive me! I Photoshopped!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 9:49 pm    Post subject: Forgive me! I Photoshopped! Reply to topic Reply with quote

In this digital age, where a person can never be sure if what they are looking at is real or not, I have made it my personal philosophy to keep my photos as unaltered as possible. Part of my reasoning is because I like to get it right the first time, and part of it is because I'm lazy and don't want to learn Photoshop.
However...recently I posted some truly horrible pics of Tony Cabin in the eastern Supes. I felt bad for subjecting all of you to such sub-par photography, and for that I am truly sorry. I recently learned some Photoshop techniques pertaining to black and white photos. I decided since my Tony Cabin pics couldn't possibly be butchered any worse, they were the perfect candidates for some Photoshopping.

Here's what I did: http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/modules.php?set_albumName=albvk46&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Have I sinned terribly? I know this topic has been discussed before, but I'm curious what you think.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt, I really like your picture 7 of 8 of the cabin. I think it's cool.
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cool. That's probably the most basic one. The others have all the effects for 2 reasons:
1. I wanted to try them out.
2. I wanted to cover up some exposure mistakes.
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I really liked 3,4 and 6.
3 is my favorite

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
IGO

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The last one is my favorite. It has bunches of stuff that don't belong but you can bet your bottom dollar that if I got back to New York and found that one Folgers label found it's way into my antique cabin photo, that label would go away.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
wrongway

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I liked number 6. It had a Blair Witch feel to it. I'll be right back, I need to go stand in the corner.
Suz

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

forgiven.......it's all good!
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Canyon Dweller, those are my favorite 3 also. Thanks for the compliment.

wrongway, I think I should crop the roof out of that shot. It does have a creepy feel to it. Thanks for the compliments

IGO, I'm not talented enough to make portions of my photos disappear. I could probably clone out the Folgers label, but then again, I probably won't since I'm not trying to get these published or anything. Thanks for checking it out though.

Suz, as always, you are too nice! Thanks.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 3/8/2007, 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt, I think the stove image is exhibition grade. You start working on those type images. Nice impact on an emotional level and good eye.
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 3/8/2007, 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

BoyNhisDog wrote:
I think the stove image is exhibition grade.

Shocked Shocked Wow! Thanks. I'll keep working hard on it. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm thinking about getting that one printed, because I think I like the way it turned out.

I'm heading to the Petrified Forest this weekend. I'm going to be backpacking there, and hopefully the weather will cooperate enough for me to get some great shots. I'm very excited!
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 3/10/2007, 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt, the one I am liking is this one;

It is a table instead of a stove. I don't know why stove stuck in my head. I really like this one though. Hope you are getting lots of good images in the Petrified forest.
IGO

PostPosted: 3/11/2007, 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

BoyNhisDog wrote:
Matt, the one I am liking is this one;

It is a table instead of a stove. I don't know why stove stuck in my head. I really like this one though. Hope you are getting lots of good images in the Petrified forest.

I took this photograph and made solid the propane bottles and errased the Folgers lables. The sneakers were a bit tuff to do. I afraid the plastic and the white thing (newspaper?) hanging on the cabinet were out of the question though.
Tone, depth and base composition are wonderful still.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 3/11/2007, 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I do think cloning is a sin. Yes, I have done it and done it recently but I still think it is a sin. In a case such as the above, I would move objects before I shot the image but I would not do all that cloning. I often move objects for the composition when possible. There are times when you cannot. I have a shot where there were a lot of ugly telephone poles. You cannot move those so I cloned them out. One was left because it was behind some chicken wire and was too hard to convincingly clone. It didn't have a lot of impact anyway. I see some things on the table above that I would have moved around and some I might have removed for the shot but Matt had a vision and the overall work is very good.

I heavily Photoshoped the image below and even overlayed some Kodak T-Max grain. For certain types of art, I don't have a problem with Photoshop work beyond the norm but I have always despised cloning even though I occasionally do it. I don't consider this image great but it is a good example of a heavily photoshoped image with some cloning.

IGO

PostPosted: 3/11/2007, 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I do have to restate. I would have wiped out a (1) folgers label. I did all the realier mentioned to prove a point but I would never expend the effort with so much material. Indeed, I would have moved material and also like you, I set up first and I'll wipe out a light pole or crop but I wouldn't work an image the way I discribed in my first post unless to make a point.
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 3/11/2007, 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would have moved all of the "modern" stuff off of the table, but I did not bring any gloves with me. Everything was covered in mouse poop, and I didn't want to get hantavirus just to get a picture. I'm probably going back to the cabin in 2 weeks. I'll bring some gloves and spend a little more time setting up my shots. I'll be sure to watch out for Folgers labels. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: