ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
October GHOTM - Reavis Ranch 10/19-10/21
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
evenstar
PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 8:28 pm    Post subject: October GHOTM - Reavis Ranch 10/19-10/21 Reply with quote

Okay y'alls, this is Tom Treks, this has now been changed to the October GHOTM. I am deleteing the current list. I am taking the hike over for Hooli. Please verify with me via PM if you are difinitely going to make it. I will keep a personal list for my records.

What is it:

This will be a multi-day backpack to Reavis Ranch in the Superstitions. Hike in and stay as many days as you'd like. The main plan is to hike in early on Friday the 19th, and hike back out on Sunday the 21st.

Trailhead:

Rogers Trough (S trail #109). Those who want to hike in from the North, PM me for directions to the trailhead if you need them. Please be sure to let me know if you have decided to hike in from the North trailhead.

Directions to Rogers Trough trailhead:

Take US 60 east out of Apache Junction. A couple miles past Florence Junction turn north onto Queen Valley Road and follow 1.6 miles. Turn right onto FS 357 (Hewlett Station Road) and follow about three miles to FS 172. Turn left onto FS 172 and follow this for 9.1 miles (keep an eye out to your right near the four mile mark for a thin arch) to FS 172A. Turn right onto FS 172A and follow 3.8 miles to the Rogers Trough trailhead. The last mile of FS 172A is definitely four wheel drive due to the washed ruts and some steepness. A high clearance pick up without four wheel drive could probably make it but you'd be in trouble if it rained. If needed, we could meet at some point and condense vehicles.

Length:

12.5 miles round trip

Difficulty:

Moderate with decent elevation gain up to Reavis Saddle on the way in/out, and again on the way back up to Rogers Trough trailhead.

Trail Description:

From the scenic meadow trailhead, the Reavis Ranch Trail #109 follows along Rogers canyon. This trail has been rerouted several times and, in order to redirect traffic, the trail designers send you steeply up 100 feet just to have you steeply descend the same hundred feet a quarter mile later. This happens several times during the first mile and a half of this hike. At 1.6 miles there is a junction with the Rogers Canyon Trail #110. Stay right on the Reavis Ranch trail and follow it as it meanders up Grave Canyon. The trail is quite rocky but easy enough to follow. About .6 miles from the trail junction, you will cross a small drainage before beginning to climb out of Grave Canyon. Near this drainage, you will find a small cairn and a spur trail that will take you several hundred feet to a small pile of rocks that marks Elisha Reavis' grave. At 5.5 miles you will reach the junction with the Fire line trail. At 6.0 miles you will reach a large meadow that was Reavis Ranch. Return the way you came.

Event Plan:

There are several variations to this event that can be considered. It is possible to cover the out and back of 12 miles in one day for those who can't make the overnight plans. A shorter trip into Rogers Canyon to the ruins and back to the trailhead is also available. The main attendee plan is to hike in on Friday, set up camp, hike around the ranch Saturday with an option to visit Circlestone, spend the night at the ranch, and hike out Sunday late afternoon. A stop after the hike at "Los Dos Gringos Muchachos" (or something like that) for grub is a possibility for those interested.

This is a really great hike and overnight destination for those who haven't made this trek yet. Don't miss this one. PM me for further details and answers to any questions.

Get in here y'alls!!

Committed Participant List to Date and Proposed Start Time:

Tom Treks - Fri mid-day from S
Davis2001R6 and Emma - Sat morning from N
outside1 - Fri mid-day from S
Paintninaz - Fri mid-day from S
kurthzone - Fri late morning from S
oliverr99 - Fri late morning from S
threedogz - Fri mid-day from S
SandeJ - a maybe for the weekend

threedogz

PostPosted: 10/22/2007, 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

He seems very personable and genuine. Having these two qualities along with the rest of what he is doing it doesn't surprise me how many people (groupies) follow him and admire him.

National Geographic does have a cable channel and I'm sure it is a matter of time before he is on it.

Looks like I will have to tune into something else besides the Food Network...
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 10/22/2007, 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

threedogz wrote:
He seems very personable and genuine. Having these two qualities along with the rest of what he is doing it doesn't surprise me how many people (groupies) follow him and admire him.

National Geographic does have a cable channel and I'm sure it is a matter of time before he is on it.

Looks like I will have to tune into something else besides the Food Network...

LOL... would that mean you would tune in once in a while? You are definitely quite the food junky, girl.
paintninaz

PostPosted: 10/22/2007, 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

kurthzone wrote:
I do believe he said to me that he would be in Pine tomorrow but that could be wrong. I do know that he has up coming events starting I think on the 3rd with the Explores Club in NYC and The National Geographic Adventurers somewhere that I have now forgotten.

You're right Stan, he said he'd be in Pine tomorrow. The National Geo thing was in D.C., right after NYC.

threedogz wrote:
He seems very personable and genuine.

That was what stood out about him most...aside from those awesome legs and those cute dimples! Wink Seriously though, a really really nice guy...it was a pleasure meeting him.

Mike, let us know if his mom sent the banana bread. Very Happy

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
oliverr99

PostPosted: 10/22/2007, 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Not to mention that he was very attractive guy, to back up his personality!!! And yes paintinaz, he did have awesome legs!!!
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 10/22/2007, 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tom Treks wrote:
Hard to believe they lasted for over 6,000 miles.

yeah it seems that he just recently broke the one over near Safford. Thats a long long way to hike, and that dude cooks at about 4 mph. Talk about "finesse" eh?

what i do
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 10/23/2007, 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

paintninaz wrote:
Mike, let us know if his mom sent the banana bread. Very Happy

I dont think he mentioned it. She did send him a pair of REI carbon poles, and he got some new GoLite shoes at Roosevelt. I now have the duty of shipping his old single pole back to his mom's house. Wink
He was happy to see us (fairweather tagged along) and it looks like he lost about 15 lbs, but overall a good demeanor and high spirits, even tho he described his journey through AZ as quite challenging. He said he has had nothing but hard times over here so far... hehe.
I warned him of the Mazatzal divide trail so he decided to avoid it by re-routing his steps and should be close to/in Pine by tonight. He willingly accepted a gallon of water as a gift from Andrew, and gobbled up some other stuff we brought. After an hour and a few pics, we departed once again and maybe wont see him again. What a character, and what a journey...

what i do
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 10/23/2007, 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Awesome guy, good to chat with him for the hour/ hour and a half that we did. Honestly, it was some really inspiring stuff to hear him say...

I think Mike getting his autograph on his GoLite Ether was a highlight as well Laughing

Kerouac
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 10/23/2007, 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, he's a pretty interesting dude to talk to. He's gonna go far. Has a pretty hectic schedule when he finishes it sounds like. Glad he got some new poles. He was pretty bummed about that.

Did he show you guys the snake video?
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 10/23/2007, 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yep, saw the video, and heard his reaction....

Kerouac
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 10/26/2007, 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Andrew just updated his podcasts on backpackinglight.com or itunes, gives a pretty good description of AZ hiking (hard, to sum up in a word)

Kerouac
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 10/27/2007, 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

fairweather8588 wrote:
Andrew just updated his podcasts on backpackinglight.com or itunes, gives a pretty good description of AZ hiking (hard, to sum up in a word)

LOL. Yeah, sounds like he had a great time so far. Ya know, I'm glad that he was vocal about the trail conditions around here. We just deal with it. It's what we're used to. Maybe word will make it to the right people.

He asked us how the trail conditions ahead will be, and our reply was pretty much "well, just like the stretch you came in on". The look was priceless. Glad he's in rim country now.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 10/27/2007, 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm thinking about possibly heading up to the GC next weekend to see him finish. Anyone else interested? I traded some e-mail with his Mom, and she said to come on up and join in. Not sure what kind of media circus it will be.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 10/27/2007, 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

seeing him finish sounds cool Tom. You could also join him on his S. Bass to Tonto up Grandview trek (but you will need running shoes Shocked ) as he's a few days ahead and wants to check out the canyon some more.

I asked him if there would be a grand finale celebration type thing and he said it would be his mom Karen, his sister and brother in law and probably Coup. I would expect that Coup and Kim would show up, and possibly Ryan Jordan. I thought it would be best to let him enjoy his small family gathering, but thats your choice of course. You could always meet him in Vegas for the flight home, any excuse to go to Vegas is a good excuse!

what i do
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 10/27/2007, 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, I'd imagine that the Go-Lite folks and BPL will be there. I'm sure there will be Paperazzi too.

Not looking to invade any personal celebration. Only talked to him on the trail for about an hour, probably doesn't even remember our names, but it's pretty cool to be a tiny part of history all the same.

Just being there to witness the ribbon cutting would be pretty cool.
threedogz

PostPosted: 10/27/2007, 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It would be cool to be there when he completes this adventure. I don't think he would mind, if he did he probably wouldn't have been so personable when we met him near the trailhead.

He wasn't in the least bit annoyed by us talking to him nor the picture taking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: