ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Waveyard
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 3/6/2007, 3:10 pm    Post subject: Waveyard Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://www.waveyard.com/images/Waveyard_Article.jpg

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 3/6/2007, 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Crazy Crazy Crazy
cakewalk

PostPosted: 3/6/2007, 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Where they gonna get all that water from? I thought we were in a drought.
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

i think its about time phoeinix comes up with some sort of a water park. Here in Denver, Waterworld is rated in the 10 best water parks in the nation. I always thought that a city as hot as phoenix, phoenix should have a really good water park. I would guess that phoenix would have a really good water park over denver. I've been to a couple of water parks in phoenix and they are not so great. I personally think this is great that phoenix is finally getting something good.

Cakewalk-where they gonna get the water? good point.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think Phoenix already has something good.

Its called the Superstition Wilderness.

what i do
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anyone here besides me ever surf at BIG SURF? Anyone here even remember when you could surf at Big Surf. COWABUNGA AND HANG TEN YOU HO DADDIES AND SAND FLEAS. My last board: Surfboards Hawaii "Patrillo" 7'1", single fin, thin rails and lots of lift on the pointed nose so my lard ass wouldn't pearl. Any of you surfers remember the lingo? What does it mean to pearl? First to answer the question gets a free dinner from Hooli at the Rock Springs Cafe!
paintninaz

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

kurthzone wrote:
Anyone here besides me ever surf at BIG SURF? Anyone here even remember when you could surf at Big Surf. COWABUNGA AND HANG TEN YOU HO DADDIES AND SAND FLEAS. My last board: Surfboards Hawaii "Patrillo" 7'1", single fin, thin rails and lots of lift on the pointed nose so my lard ass wouldn't pearl. Any of you surfers remember the lingo? What does it mean to pearl? First to answer the question gets a free dinner from Hooli at the Rock Springs Cafe!

I remember when you could, I never did...but I watched the dudes who did a lot! hehehe

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
evenstar

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

kurthzone wrote:

That's when the nose of your board goes under and flips your lardass like a catapult!
So when do i take myself to dinner?
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

kurthzone wrote:

Some of the bigger boards have a tendency to roll and nose dive - aka "pearling".
Ex-Santa Monica & Dana Point resident,
Kurt

< EDIT> ooops - Hoolie beat me to the punch....

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
KFarm

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This brings back the good old days. I surfed it once when I moved from Hawaii as a kid. Kind of reverse of the movie North Shore, but the waves at Big Surf are not the same as the real thing. My last board (and current) Donald Takayama 8'6" tri-fin egg. Great for surfing so ca...

John Wayne
evenstar

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Never been board surfing, but in early to mid 70's did occasionally body surf at some of the beaches north of Santa Cruz; clothing optional, just don't get caught! Water so cold, guys would come out and the girls would just point and giggle!
Broke a toe once digging it into the sand as I came up to the beach.....didn't feel a thing 'til about an hour later but had an inkling when it started turning dark purple! Worst was not getting up in time and scraping your belly on the sand as you approached the beach; nothing showed, but belly stung like dickens for a couple of days; or losing body rigidity and being bounced to the beach like a basketball.
'twas great being young and carefree......still is! LOL
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
evenstar

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

paintninaz wrote:
kurthzone wrote:

I remember when you could, I never did...but I watched the dudes who did a lot!
hehehe

Ah....the DOL speaks up! Razz
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

KFarm wrote:
This brings back the good old days. I surfed it once when I moved from Hawaii as a kid. Kind of reverse of the movie North Shore, but the waves at Big Surf are not the same as the real thing. My last board (and current) Donald Takayama 8'6" tri-fin egg. Great for surfing so ca...

Not familiar with anything since the early 70's when short boards first came on the scene. Popular then were Bing, Dewey Weber, Hobie, Greg Knoll, Gordon and Smith, etc., etc. The Big Surf waves were really just swells that you could sort of ride with not too much speed. You'd position yourself as close to the wave maker wall as officials would let you. You'd just sit there and instead of checking for outside sets of any size, you'd wait for the sound made by the water chamber dumping and creating the wave under the wall. Then you'd paddle like hell. Depending on the size waves they were producing that day you could get a decent bottom turn and a short ride with a crowd of others. When the wave broke, it was just a mere foaming at the top flatening into soup. The coolest place I ever surfed was near a breakwater in Mazatlan that had a cannon out on the end of it. Early morning glass and perfect lefts (I'm goofy foot) and all to yourself. That was back in the late 60's.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

"surf Nicaragua"

name the band that did that song (without google) and I'll give you a dollar

p.s. they were originally from phx.

what i do
azhiker96

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

American_Idol wrote:
I think Phoenix already has something good.

Its called the Superstition Wilderness.

Hey, I'm hoping the wave pool keeps people OUT of the wilderness. Too Hot, too stickery, too dangerous. Nothing to see here. Stay in town, please. We AZH'ers will just suffer through the wilderness while the tourists enjoy the attractions in town. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: