ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
How did you find us?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions & Suggestions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
misha

PostPosted: 1/24/2008, 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Stumbled in the back way! I was trying to find information about the stroll up South Mountain for cancer, and one of the sites that Google brought up was arizonahiker. I had belonged on and off to the Souther Arizona Hiking Club while living in Tucson, and now that the lack of a job has forced me to the Phoenix area, it seems like a smart thing to do to join here and try to become part of my new community.

Mike
beckett

PostPosted: 1/24/2008, 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is a great post from the past...thanks for bumping it up misha. I loved reading how it all began.
Linda

Personally, I found the site through a friend (thesuperstitions) who told me he had been hiking in Arizona and that I could check out the pictures in the gallery here.

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
PageRob

PostPosted: 1/24/2008, 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think that I was just searching Google for some hiking sites to meet people and chat with like-minded folks. I think I found both HAZ and AZH at the same time with the same search.
IGO

PostPosted: 1/24/2008, 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Met Hnak through the Backpacker mag forum 10 years ago and we put a Grand Canyon hike together through BP Mag back then. Found Hank again while strolling through BP forums after I moved back here 3+ years ago and he pointed the way to this forum. I thought it was fantastic finding him again.
threedogz

PostPosted: 1/24/2008, 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Googling of course.
RC

PostPosted: 1/25/2008, 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

1 of my hiking buddies from AZ found your site - while we were researching Phantom Creek - and passed it on to me.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/25/2008, 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I honestly don't remember. I don't remember if I first found HAZ and then AZH or the other way around. I remember that I joined about 2 years ago, was it? Around New Year's. I may have been googling for a specific trail and found it that way.
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 1/25/2008, 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I first visited Arizona in the early '90s while on work-related travel. Found the Supes by accident and got hooked. Didn't make it back 'til around 2003. Got hooked again and became serious about hiking out there as often as I could. Found HAZ after it had started up again. Read a bunch of trip reports; emailed some people about an upcoming trip but didn't hear from anyone... until I actually got out there. That was Hikngrl. She told me about AZH. Joined up when I got home to MD. Lurked in the weeds. Got to know a few people and then planned a trip. Hikngrl set it all up... a hike through Haunted Canyon, followed by great Mexican food. About 10 people showed up to take a guy they'd met on the internet out into the Arizona wilderness. It was overcast and rainy that day, but it couldn't have been more perfect. It felt like I'd found friends that I'd known forever...
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 1/25/2008, 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What a great thread! Why haven't I seen it before! I have been on here for about four and a half years I think. I first found Azwilderness which lead me to HAZ. Went to a mapping class that HAZ offered and there I met our own Tom Trecker and Sherileeinaz. My first official hike with any one from the site was in Horton Creek with Tom. From there I just started showing up for hikes. I will never forget the first WFW! It was the hike that started it all! Every one thought for sure I was going to be a dead woman before it all ended but with the support of all of you I walked out of there so very happy! So very tired! But I had done it and I was hooked! Now with all of you I play harder than I have ever worked and I love it!

I want to shine!
paintninaz

PostPosted: 1/25/2008, 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
What a great thread! Why haven't I seen it before!

Because the last post (before misha brought it back) was about 3 months before you joined us! Wink

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
cakewalk

PostPosted: 1/25/2008, 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I recieved an email from GTG and an invite to his place along with a few others to discuss a replacement for the then defunct HAZ site.
The rest is, as they say, History.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/25/2008, 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

cakewalk wrote:
I recieved an email from GTG and an invite to his place along with a few others to discuss a replacement for the then defunct HAZ site.
The rest is, as they say, History.

Same here.
lzyboy

PostPosted: 1/25/2008, 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I ran into this glut of babbling yahoos at some ruins in Rogers Canyon, they told me about it. They seemed likeable enough and relatively harmless, for the most part, so I joined and lurked for the longest time, mostly using y'alls as an informational resource (for things such as the proper usage of "y'alls" and "poopie"). As you can tell from my post count, I still mostly lurk here.

Rosalia de Castro
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/25/2008, 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Did you learn "Oh my heck?" and "Porridge" here?
lzyboy

PostPosted: 1/25/2008, 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn wrote:
Did you learn "Oh my heck?" and "Porridge" here?
Oh my heck! How did you know???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions & Suggestions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: