ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Maricopa County Sheriff's Mountain Rescue Team needs help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 2/22/2007, 1:25 pm    Post subject: Maricopa County Sheriff's Mountain Rescue Team needs help Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dear Outdoor Enthusiast --

Maricopa County Sheriff's Office Mountain Rescue Team is looking for new members.

Our all-volunteer technical rescue team is dedicated to saving lives through:

-- Search and Rescue Operations

-- Wilderness Emergency Medical Services

-- Outdoor Safety Education

Mountain Rescue has monthly meetings and trainings.
We train in High Angle Rope, Wilderness Search, Alpine SAR, Cave & Mine, Swiftwater Rescue, and Helicopter Operations.

Our Annual Recruit Orientation will be 9:00am on Saturday, March 10th at:

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona

8220 N 23rd Avenue

Phoenix, AZ 85021

Visit us at http://www.mcsomr.org/ on the web for more information

Thank you,

Kerry Ecker

MCSO Mountain Rescue

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 2/22/2007, 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cool! I am glad you posted that Kurt. Wink I know a couple of the horse posse members and they are always ready to go when needed. Good men! Smile Just a couple weeks ago they rode about 20 plus hours out by Sunflower looking for that gal from Gilbert. Great way for someone to give back to their community and help out their fellow outsdoorsmen.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 2/22/2007, 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll be in California when the orientation is, otherwise I would be interested. I'll keep a look out for the next one.
Suz

PostPosted: 2/22/2007, 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well---
This is what I found on the site.

The Infamous MRS. PAT

After the paperwork comes the "Mrs. Pat" (Mountain Rescue Specific Physical Aptitude Test). Summary: While carrying a 35 lb. pack and 100 oz. of water, each candidate must climb and descend a mountain at least 1200 feet in elevation, carry additional gear for distance, tie rescue knots, and correctly identify UTM coordinates on a topographical map -- all within the specified time limit. Go For It!

UTM coordinates on a topographical map???????
I'm not even certain what UTM means. Crazy Maybe some of us need a little tutor session.

Seems like the rest of it we do everytime we go on a backpack, right?
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 2/22/2007, 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tie Knots! Shoot, my shoes come untied. Then map work. I can usually find where I'm at on a topo and were I need to go. Just have to learn coordinates again, learned that a few years ago in ground school for my PPL, haven't needed it since.
Desert-Boonie

PostPosted: 2/22/2007, 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would really love to do this, but with my schedule right now I do not have the extra time. Sad To anyone who does this or is going to do it, I look up to you.

"If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead"
Suz

PostPosted: 2/23/2007, 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

UTM = Universal Topographical MARKER! Crazy
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 2/23/2007, 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
UTM = Universal Topographical MARKER! Crazy

That's a valid try.

Here's a better explanation.
Quote:
The Universal Transverse Mercator projection and grid system was adopted by the U.S. Army in 1947 for designating rectangular coordinates on large scale military maps. UTM is currently used by the United States and NATO armed forces. With the advent of inexpensive GPS receivers, many other map users are adopting the UTM grid system for coordinates that are simpler to use than latitude and longitude.

It is metric and it is fairly easy to use once you understand "easting" and "northing". So start thinking in klicks not miles.

UTM doesn't work for polar. There you need UPS. Laughing
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 2/23/2007, 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you don't like working in kilometers and meters, Topo software will let you set your lines to mile squares instead of 1000m squares, just set your grid lines to 1609 meters. You will then need custom tools for your 7.5 minute map though.

I use latitude and longitude coordinate system most of the time, but I acutally learned with UTM and switch off now and again.
Suz

PostPosted: 2/23/2007, 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well this just sounds like so much fun! Embarassed
Wreckchaser

PostPosted: 2/23/2007, 4:52 pm    Post subject: Search and Rescue Work Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would love to see some dedicated hikers join our search and rescue team. Their out door skills are second to none and they seem to know their way around better than anyone else.

The hiking, tracking, GPS coordinate maping, repelling and setting up haul systems are fun, but take a lot of time to learn to do correctly in a team environment. We do a lot of training in Cochise County using real life senarios to help keep our skills sharp for the real missions. The not so fun part is dealing with the family member's when the search and rescue mission becomes a body recovery.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/24/2007, 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This sounds great. If I lived down in the Valley....! I'm a member of Apache Rescue Team up here, a youth group/Explorer Post, which has sort of come apart since the founder and director left, although it has not completely folded. We certified in WFR, did tech rescue training all the time, tracking, map, compass, GPS, etc.

OK, so UTMs. Not really hard to learn this system, we taught it to 14 yr. olds all the time. It's good if you can take a class, though, that combines map, compass and GPS use all together. I'm not really good at it, but can get by. And I never set my GPS to lat/longs, I use only UTM's. The UTMs are marked all around the borders of the topo maps, if you buy the regular paper 7.5" maps.

When you guys come up in June I can show you a little bit of this. And since I'm no expert, anyone who wants to put in their two cents worth is welcome to help me explain it!
Wreckchaser

PostPosted: 2/24/2007, 9:13 am    Post subject: UTM vs LAT Long Reply to topic Reply with quote

The two coordinate systems are both listed on many Topo maps and any map programs like Topo or Maptech can switch from one to another. People that started out using Lat/Long sometimes get a little scared of UTM, but it is kind of like a metric measurement vs feet and inches. Forget about trying to convert one to the other and just look at the grid on the map and cross the lines. Every GPS that I have seen has both systems and some can run both at the same time. UTM tends to be a little easier than Lat/Long for me, but I use both in search and rescue. Arizona DPS helicopters use Lat/Long, so we have to switch when we are using them during a search.

There is also an accuracy difference of several hundred yards (??) between old maps that are on the WGS NAD24 vs the newer WGS NAD84 systems. The topo maps that you buy will list which datum they are on, so make sure your GPS is set for the correct datam. We always use the NAD84 system for all of our seach and rescue work and I also keep it on NAD84 for my personal hiking and wreck chasing. I don't teach this stuff, but can show anyone the basics which can take all of about five minutes.
Suz

PostPosted: 2/24/2007, 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: UTM vs LAT Long Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wreckchaser wrote:
can show anyone the basics which can take all of about five minutes.

Might take a bit more than that for me...........15 at least but I'd take you both up on a lesson.
Wreckchaser

PostPosted: 2/24/2007, 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: UTM vs LAT Long Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
Wreckchaser wrote:
can show anyone the basics which can take all of about five minutes.

Might take a bit more than that for me...........15 at least but I'd take you both up on a lesson.

You true hiking and out door types pick this stuff up fast, so I think five minutes will do it. I think we were on the Bassett Peak trail at the same time last November. Next time we run into each other, I can show you how the GPS map coordinate stuff works.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: