ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Black Widow Spider questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 8/25/2003, 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

CatValet wrote:
Sherilee:

Black Widows come out at night. They are easily found by walking around outside with a flashlight. They are very fond of unpainted wood. They are also fond of outhouses which we don't have many of anymore. They can be kept at bay with repeated doses of diazanon or malathion, using a hose end sprayer works best. Wash hands thoroughly when done. If you have an acetylene torch laying about they work well too. Like Lizard, I have no use for them. One bit me about five times in the abdomen. It made every muscle cramp I've ever had seem like a twinge. Serious no fun for about 16 hours. Usual treatment is to apply a ice pack or qwick-cold pack, and take about 50-75 mg. benadryl antihistamine. Sometimes the hospital will use injectable benadryl. Hydrocodone is usually prescribed for pain and muscle spasms. A light dose of blue slow pills is helpful as an anti-spasmodic.

I don't recommend it, obviously. There are no "blebs" or big bite swellings, and usually no subsequent tissue necrosis like a ratlesnake or recluse bite. Very painful though. -R

I'm going to get the exterminator out because of all the webs left around. I've used diazanon in Indiana for my birch tree since they are so suspeptible to bugs/webs. I can do my own treatments later on but feel I should get the exterminator out for this time.

That had to be bad getting bit 5 times! How did this happened? Glad you are fine now.

Sherileeaz Cool
nasbond

PostPosted: 8/25/2003, 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think you may have a June Bug (don't know the proper name) We used to tie a string on their legs and let them just fly around in a cricle. They like fruit and are bothersome but harmless.
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 8/25/2003, 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sherileeaz wrote:
GTG wrote:
Quote:
inside is a huge beetle

A dollar says it's a palo verde beetle. Got a picture?

GTG

I looked up Palo Verde Beetle, this isn't it.
The huge beetle bug has a hard shell the size of a walnut shell and was green irridecent. I've never seen anything like this so they aren't in Indiana that I know of. I don't think it is harmful.

I don't have a picture, but have been trying to search the internet for it. No luck yet.

Did that green beetle look like this?

These are what I called June Bugs when I was a kid and we did tie strings to their legs and fly them around. I guess they are really called Green Fruit Beetles http://www.sdnhm.org/fieldguide/inverts/coti-mut.html

Here's some info on the Black Widow:
http://www.sdnhm.org/fieldguide/inverts/latr-hes.html
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 8/25/2003, 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

kurthzone wrote:
sherileeaz wrote:
GTG wrote:
Quote:
inside is a huge beetle

A dollar says it's a palo verde beetle. Got a picture?

GTG

I looked up Palo Verde Beetle, this isn't it.
The huge beetle bug has a hard shell the size of a walnut shell and was green irridecent. I've never seen anything like this so they aren't in Indiana that I know of. I don't think it is harmful.

I don't have a picture, but have been trying to search the internet for it. No luck yet.

Did that green beetle look like this?

These are what I called June Bugs when I was a kid and we did tie strings to their legs and fly them around. I guess they are really called Green Fruit Beetles http://www.sdnhm.org/fieldguide/inverts/coti-mut.html

Here's some info on the Black Widow:
http://www.sdnhm.org/fieldguide/inverts/latr-hes.html

GTG, I went and took a closer look at the bug in the bucket and it has the same markings at the top picture, the bug with the irridecent color. The picture made it look small, but the one I have is at least 1 1/2 " long, and more of a round body. It's big.

I put a call into Arizona Exterminating Co, they are to call me back but haven't yet. Of course I'm impatient and want them here NOW haha!

It's been a crazy 2 weeks here for me. Between the computer virus, my daughter leaving for college, the black widow spiders and now the "big bug" in the bucket, I'm a bit on edge.

I appreciate all the help. My husband is out of town working and little did I know I would end up being the pest patrol here. UGH!

Arizona is different from Indiana but I'm sure I'll be able to look back and get a kick out of these posts of mine. Have to keep a sense of humor. Laughing

The worst in Indiana were wasps and bees. I had never been stung til I came to AZ! lol I really think they just love me! HAHA!

I'll keep all of you posted on what the exterimator tells me. I know one thing, I'd better not have termites!! This home is only 6 mths old! But then again, like hiking, be prepared for anything right?? lol

Sherileeaz Cool
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 8/26/2003, 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm going to go with AZ exterminating, they'll take care of the webs, and continue a bi-monthly service for everything but pigeons and gophers. Sounds fine to me!

Thanks for all the help with this.
Sheri
paintninaz

PostPosted: 8/27/2003, 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: spiders and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
Personally I'd suggest a herd of geckos and other assorted lizards for pest control, but that's just me.GTG

I'll second this one!! Yes

I was fortunate enough to buy a house that came with a yard loaded with geckos (albino ones at that! Shocked ) and the only pests I ever have had to deal with are ants...I'm guessing these critters on not on the gecko's preferred entree list Rolling Eyes .

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 8/27/2003, 8:47 am    Post subject: June Bugs Reply to topic Reply with quote

June Bugs are harmless to humans, hell on peach trees though. they typically fly into a wall or a house or something to knock themselves out, upside down. They usually can't right themselves on smooth surfaces and subsequently die like a turtle on his back would. You can't spray to get rid of June Bugs however their larvae live in the ground as grub worms eating your lawn's roots. Poison applied to the lawn may kill next year's crop but they'll still fly in from somewhere else. Don't start a spray frenzy over there, you may regret it.

GTG
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 8/27/2003, 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: June Bugs Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
June Bugs are harmless to humans, hell on peach trees though. they typically fly into a wall or a house or something to knock themselves out, upside down. They usually can't right themselves on smooth surfaces and subsequently die like a turtle on his back would. You can't spray to get rid of June Bugs however their larvae live in the ground as grub worms eating your lawn's roots. Poison applied to the lawn may kill next year's crop but they'll still fly in from somewhere else. Don't start a spray frenzy over there, you may regret it.

GTG

I won't, I'm leaving it up to AZ Exterminating. I don't have any lawn, we put in xeriscape in the front and rocks in the back. We thought we had it all figured out. Confused

It's more for peace of mind for me, I've already had the parade of crickets after about 2 months being here. Now the black widows and webs. I'm just not willing to find out the next circus act. Mr. Green

If I didn't feel I was being invaded, I'd let it be, but since it's like a food chain and only gets worse ie: crickets, black widows, scorpions etc. I feel it's necessary at this time.

About the June bug, because he was on his back, all I saw was his huge legs and underside that looked like a large spider til my friend flipped it over. I never realized the differnce between bugs in one state vs another. Alot bigger here.

I don't like killing things so it's not a matter of that. It's now a matter of keeping them away so they aren't killed and they find another home to visit Very Happy

Sherileeaz Cool
nasbond

PostPosted: 8/27/2003, 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Studies show that about 8% of the population are intolerant of insects. The problem is you moved into there neighborhood. Those little fellers lived there alot longer than you. To be honest most of them don't want to live with us but we make it so attractive they can't help it. Lights outside at night brings bugs put yellow blubs in the porch light. Where bugs are spiders live. You wouldn't want to live hundered miles from the grocery store neither to they. Smells of food, human, or aminal will bring bugs, mice and other things. Just your breathing will bring bugs. After awhile everything will blance out and it will not be so bad. Most will move out and then you will have just the occasional invader.

The nice thing is after about five years all of those little critters won't brother you. The sun will have cooked your brain by that time and you won't care like the rest of us.
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 8/27/2003, 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

nasbond wrote:

The nice thing is after about five years all of those little critters won't brother you. The sun will have cooked your brain by that time and you won't care like the rest of us.

ROFL!!! Rolling

That's the funniest thing I've heard yet!!!
And since I'm a blonde, maybe won't even take 5 years ey??? Laughing

Sherileeaz Shades
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 8/27/2003, 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You know sheri. If you really wanted to submit to the whole foodchain thing, you could get a cat. They'll hunt the scorpions.

But then you'd have to get a dog, to keep the cat in line.

I don't know what you'd get for the dog, a bear maybe.

and a big gun for the bear...
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 8/27/2003, 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

matt gilbert wrote:
You know sheri. If you really wanted to submit to the whole foodchain thing, you could get a cat. They'll hunt the scorpions.

But then you'd have to get a dog, to keep the cat in line.

I don't know what you'd get for the dog, a bear maybe.

and a big gun for the bear...

ROFL

I have a dog but she's almost 17 years old, she just looked up at me when the crickets were parading through as if to say "company?" haha! One hopped over by her while she was sleeping and layed next to her like "are you my mother?" LOL That's the only cute part of the whole thing.

Oh and the mystery of the "big bug" is a Metalic Beetle Bug the exterminator said. He said it's rare, I said, "yeah they just love me!"

About the rest of the house, he said we have a very high black widow count. Again, "I'm lucky ey?"

I'm sure in time it will all settle down, but til then, I'll let the exterminators handle it for a year. At least I'll sleep better for a while til the next new experience.

Sherileeaz Cool
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 8/27/2003, 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Go to Spencers Gift and buy a black light. At night turn off your lights and use your black light to check for scorpions and other critters they glow with the black light. Also obtain a copy of Insects of the Southwest by Floyd Werner and Carl Olson (most book stores).
nasbond

PostPosted: 8/27/2003, 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tarantula Hawk. You may have seen one and didn't even know what it is. It belongs to the wasp family. They are black with orange wings 1 inch to 1 1/2 inches long. They will not usually bother humans unless you put smash it with something. They sting large spiders and drag the spider to their nests and lay their eggs in the spider. The spider doesn't die but is imoblized and is waiting to be eaten by the young wasps. Why am I telling you about this wasp. This species probably has the most painful sting of any insect. If stung lay down. If you don't you will fall down. Half hour later things will start to return to normal. The same rule applies to Tarantula Hawks that applies to rattlesnakes. They have the right away.
ck1

PostPosted: 9/1/2003, 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thought this article went along with this thread...

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=127638&command=displayContent&sourceNode=127637&contentPK=6864402

"The Journey is the Destination"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: