ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Black Widow Spider questions
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 8/23/2003, 8:48 pm    Post subject: Black Widow Spider questions Reply to topic Reply with quote

Am I just the lucky one or is this common? Last week I had a black widow (female) next to my back door. I killed it but I'm getting an exterminator soon because I was told that her eggs can produce up to 300 new spiders. I've asked a few friends about their experiences, most said they haven't ever seen one. My question is, "am I just lucky?" We have a new home in a subdivision in Avondale. I know this seems like an odd question to ask here, but I'm wanting to find out more and not just hear, "no never seen one in all the years I've lived here." I can deal with things when I know what to expect. Any words of wisdom?
ck1

PostPosted: 8/23/2003, 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We've come across them every once and awhile, and we had a ton of them on the grill on our rental house in Mexico this summer, at least 5 of them.

I don't know if that's common or not...

"The Journey is the Destination"
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 8/24/2003, 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've seen a lot of them. They generally hang out in cool seldom used areas (like a shed or garage). We had an old shed when I was a kid and you could almost always find a few in there. I don't think there very social, theres usually not a lot of them in one area.

I'm not positive about this but this is what I've heard; When the eggs hatch the spiders let out a strand of web, which is picked up by the wind and propels them to a new area that has less competition. So hopefully the spiders did the job of dispersing themselves to areas other than your house.

Also, as long as you have a healthy immune system and no allergy the bites are not fatal. Only very uncomfortable. Since there so easily identified (bright red hour-glass shaped blotch on their backs) it's usually easy to avoid being bitten.

Hope that helps ease your mind.
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 8/24/2003, 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

matt gilbert wrote:
I've seen a lot of them. They generally hang out in cool seldom used areas (like a shed or garage). We had an old shed when I was a kid and you could almost always find a few in there. I don't think there very social, theres usually not a lot of them in one area.

I'm not positive about this but this is what I've heard; When the eggs hatch the spiders let out a strand of web, which is picked up by the wind and propels them to a new area that has less competition. So hopefully the spiders did the job of dispersing themselves to areas other than your house.

Also, as long as you have a healthy immune system and no allergy the bites are not fatal. Only very uncomfortable. Since there so easily identified (bright red hour-glass shaped blotch on their backs) it's usually easy to avoid being bitten.

Hope that helps ease your mind.

Thank you for the info. I'm still a bit uneasy but I am looking at this as a blessing since I did see one after being here only 6 mths, now I know what to expect and to be cautious. If I had not seen the spider close up and personal, I'd have thought they aren't common.

I have webs still. That's unnerving. They are very sticky and using a hose/water won't do anything.

I have an outdoor umbrella that I can't keep open because of the wind, so now I'm leary what to do with this. Maybe store it in the garage and wrap it in plastic.

I have a grill! UGH! I use it frequently tho so hope that's not a problem.

Thanks again !

Sherileeaz Cool
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 8/24/2003, 10:38 am    Post subject: spiders and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

The webs will be undone with a twirling motion of a stick, coathanger or other such implement of spider abode destruction. The black widow's silk is stronger than steel for size so it may take a bit to remove. There may be a little brown spider running around in there, this is a male. He's not poisonous but get him out too because we all know it takes two to tango. Grills are notorious hangouts for all sorts of critters, spiders, birds, mice, lizards, snakes I've seen most of them in one that has been retired for a season. Anyplace out of traffic with a few good anchor spots would be ideal for a black widow. Once you have done your sweeps of the property, they should be easy to keep down. An abundance of crickets will increase spider numbers as well. Personally I'd suggest a herd of geckos and other assorted lizards for pest control, but that's just me.

GTG
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 8/24/2003, 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like a good plan with the geckos.
I have a dog tho, so not sure how that would work.
Although she may like the company other than the crickets! haha!

Thanks GTG!

I really appreciate this information.

Sheri
Daryl

PostPosted: 8/24/2003, 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

my $.02

I've found one in my yard, I've seen them around, but I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. It's a good idea to have an extermiator come to your house once a month anyway. If you don't, you'll have crickets, and if you have crickets you'll have scorpions.

Also, even though the bite of a black widow is rarely fatal, I've heard it is very uncomortable and stays that way for about a week. I've also heard there are lasting affects from the bite.

Another related note, I read a study that said the average person eats 7 spiders in there life time, while they are sleeping. sleep well tonight...

PostPosted: 8/24/2003, 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Other comments notwithstanding, black widows are no joke, and you would do well to be careful. If you're strong and healthy, they may not be fatal. But then, they may be, too. Don't make the mistake of thinking they're just another spider. There are very, very few things that I kill on sight, but black widows are one of them. (Actually, I can't really think of another right off the top of my head). Just be careful and don't stick your hands into spots where you can't see.
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 8/24/2003, 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks ... I'm calling out the exterminator tomorrow.
I'm not able to cope with all this since I'm so new to the area.
I left a bucket out on my back porch, inside is a huge beetle, I assume that's what it is. It's the size of a half dollar (it's upside down) Eek Any clue?
I'm not out in the desert, I'm here in Avondale! lol
What gives? They love me?? haha! Rolling Eyes
I'm not messing with the beetle thing, I'm letting the exterminator tell me about that thing! So far this hasn't made me want to go back to Indiana, umm so far!

Sheri
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 8/24/2003, 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daryl wrote:
my $.02

Another related note, I read a study that said the average person eats 7 spiders in there life time, while they are sleeping. sleep well tonight...

Daryl, I'm going to come and haunt YOU while you sleep! lol
Nothing like scaring me more!!!
So While YOU are Sleeping , don't worry about spiders... Wink
muhahaha!

BTW, I've never been told I'm "average" so I need not worry!!! Diablo

Sherileeaz Shades
nasbond

PostPosted: 8/24/2003, 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Black Widow spiders live close to the ground in a crack or hole. There webs are usually messey and catch other things than bugs like small leaves and grabage that is moved around. We have one living in a small hole in the wall in the rose garden. She or her mother have lived there for years. We leave her alone and she leaves us alone. She eats lots of other bugs and I consider her my very own bug man or bug woman.

I don't see her because she works when I am asleep. If she moved into my house or under my pillow then we would part company. No fear there. No any bugs under my pillow and she lives where she can find food. You are going to have to put your hand or some part of your body on it to get is to bite. They don't attack humans, to big to eat don't taste good.

If you have small childern or pets then you should take corrective measures for their protection. There are other critters out there that are more dangerous than a black widow. The Bark Scorpion lives in your area. Treat this fellow with great respect. You don't see him either because he works at night also.
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 8/24/2003, 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My girlfriend came over this evening for our walk and she found two more spiders in a web on my front porch--there is a ledge under the wall and each had a web on opposite walls. Tomorrow exterminators because I do have a dog plus the web is across the area we come out the front door. I don't want them in the house. Or want anyone bit unknowinly. I'm thinking the monsoon season has brought them out. I'm not sure but they will need to find a garden like you describe to call home and vacate my area. Smile

sherileeaz Cool
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 8/24/2003, 10:35 pm    Post subject: bugs and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
inside is a huge beetle

A dollar says it's a palo verde beetle. Got a picture?

GTG
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 8/24/2003, 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sherilee:

Black Widows come out at night. They are easily found by walking around outside with a flashlight. They are very fond of unpainted wood. They are also fond of outhouses which we don't have many of anymore. They can be kept at bay with repeated doses of diazanon or malathion, using a hose end sprayer works best. Wash hands thoroughly when done. If you have an acetylene torch laying about they work well too. Like Lizard, I have no use for them. One bit me about five times in the abdomen. It made every muscle cramp I've ever had seem like a twinge. Serious no fun for about 16 hours. Usual treatment is to apply a ice pack or qwick-cold pack, and take about 50-75 mg. benadryl antihistamine. Sometimes the hospital will use injectable benadryl. Hydrocodone is usually prescribed for pain and muscle spasms. A light dose of blue slow pills is helpful as an anti-spasmodic.

I don't recommend it, obviously. There are no "blebs" or big bite swellings, and usually no subsequent tissue necrosis like a ratlesnake or recluse bite. Very painful though. -R
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 8/25/2003, 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: bugs and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
Quote:
inside is a huge beetle

A dollar says it's a palo verde beetle. Got a picture?

GTG

I looked up Palo Verde Beetle, this isn't it.
The huge beetle bug has a hard shell the size of a walnut shell and was green irridecent. I've never seen anything like this so they aren't in Indiana that I know of. I don't think it is harmful.

I don't have a picture, but have been trying to search the internet for it. No luck yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: