ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Snowshoe Action

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
PageRob

PostPosted: 1/23/2007, 8:31 pm    Post subject: Snowshoe Action Reply to topic Reply with quote

First use of the snowshoes today, up on the Kaibab! Tracking some birds, and the snow was deep enough (just barely in some spots) for snowshoes, so Buster and I took off across country. Very powdery, lots of sinkage, but still far more float that poor Buster had - he was up to his doggy hips in some drifts, leaping like a coyote to get to the next tree. Loved every minute of it, though (both him and I). Temps were high 30's, low 40's. Beautiful day, not a cloud in sight. That big storm that socked in everyone else in the state left Page and surrounding areas with nothing this weekend, not even a menacing cloud.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/24/2007, 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds fun! Any photos? I'm still trying to find a pair of snowshoes to borrow for the weekend.

One thing I keep hearing from the desert rats: they went out to take photos of the snow and they said their camera batteries died. Maybe some of you guys need to consider that your cameras got too cold to function? They need to be kept in an inside pocket.
PageRob

PostPosted: 1/24/2007, 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nope, no photos. I left the camera in the truck, and after I got out, away from the roads, I was wishing I had brought it. Oh well.
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 1/24/2007, 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Sounds fun! Any photos? I'm still trying to find a pair of snowshoes to borrow for the weekend.

Yes you guys! Keep posting the cool snow sport photos, I love them!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/25/2007, 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok, ok Sande, I posted snow photos three different times in the past 10 days! Wouldn't want to spoil my rep as a board hog, now would I?

I may go xc skiing again in the next 2 or 3 days, and will try to go to a different area, if snow conditions good, so will post photos again.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 1/25/2007, 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
Ok, ok Sande, I posted snow photos three different times in the past 10 days! Wouldn't want to spoil my rep as a board hog, now would I?

I may go xc skiing again in the next 2 or 3 days, and will try to go to a different area, if snow conditions good, so will post photos again.

I love your skiing out the front door picture Elizabeth! Laughing

I want to shine!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/25/2007, 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That was fun! Every year I hope for the opportunity to ski in town. Last year it happened when I had that horrific cough, I went anyway. Big mistake, cough got worse!

As you could see from photos, snow not all that deep, about 4 or 5 inches, but main thing was it was packed down pretty well--packed powder. You don't want to be scraping the ground!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: