ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Where to find gas in the Valley!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 8/18/2003, 10:39 am    Post subject: Where to find gas in the Valley!! Reply to topic Reply with quote

My first task of the day was to put up a page on our corporate intranet with a list of stations that have gas. Folks are emailing any they know of to me. So, I thought it'd be a good idea to do something similar here. If you know of a station with gas, post it here.

Here's the current list from my office:

EAST VALLEY
Circle-K, McClintock & University

SCOTTSDALE
Chevron,Scottsdale & Camelback
Circle-K, Scottsdale Road, south of Grayhawk
Wal-Mart Supercenter, 101 & Frank Lloyd Wright

WEST VALLEY
Arco AM/PM, 27th Ave & Northern
Chevron, 28th Ave & Cactus
Daryl

PostPosted: 8/18/2003, 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

And please, if you don't need to get gas, don't go out just to top off your tank. Panic buying is causing this problem.
What box?

PostPosted: 8/18/2003, 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great point, Daryl! A lot of people I work with weren't aware of the situation till last night, or even this morning in some cases. I carpooled with two other guys who live near me. The guy who drove was down to 1/4 tank.
Daryl

PostPosted: 8/18/2003, 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just read that 90% of the people getting gas are getting less then $10 worth. At the current prices that is just over 5 gallons!
All the morons will run out and top off their tanks today and tomorrow (note: if you really are running low and get gas you are not a moron). By the end of the week the morons will all have full tanks and the lines should be gone and things will be back to normal.

PostPosted: 8/18/2003, 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What's the deal with the gas pump taking up to 2 minutes to pump a gallon of gas in some areas?
Daryl

PostPosted: 8/18/2003, 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

When the tanks are low and all the pumps are going at the same time, the pressure drops and it comes out slow.

PostPosted: 8/18/2003, 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well...they said yesterday there was more than enough gas in the valley! But, for some unknown reason, it was not getting distibuted very well. Now...wonder why that is? Wink Let's see...hold the gas back a few more hours and then sell the gas for 10 to 20 cents more a gallon.

If the world did away with money tomorrow, a large percentage of the population would drop dead because they serve no other purpose.
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 8/18/2003, 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I really don't think there is enough gas. Tankers are a very slow and inefficient way to haul fuel. It would help if the EPA would relax the standards on our "Boutique Blend" gasoline until the pipeline is running full again. But nooooooh, they won't do that. They'd rather have unemployment go up 20% to make their political agenda points.

If I don't find enough fuel, I'll have to resort to driving my motorcycle to work. Too hot and tooo dangerous (50 miles a day on the 101) -R
dennisbench

PostPosted: 8/18/2003, 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I left for work and passed 9 stations before I found one with gas, luckily I added the 2 gallons from my gas can for the lawnmower or I would have run out before I got to work. The Exxon on Rural & University was about a 30 minute wait this morning.
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 8/18/2003, 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Whats upsetting to me is all the people filling spare containers of gas. And if thats not bad enough, all the news stations seem to be condoning the practice. Rather than discourage the practice of hoarding the news is telling people how to do it efficiently. Of course people are going to rush the filling stations if all they see on the news is that the world as we know it is about to run dry. I say if it wasn't for the media fueling (no pun intended) this frenzy, the problem never would have got to the state its in.
cakewalk

PostPosted: 8/18/2003, 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I heard there is a station in chandler selling gas for $3.47 a gallon for regular unleaded...

That man should be beaten and thrown in jail.

That kind of price gouging and taking advantage of , makes me more angry than the actual distribution issue.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 8/18/2003, 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Should have built another pipeline instead of a Cardinal Stadium.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 8/18/2003, 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

That kind of price gouging and taking advantage of , makes me more angry than the actual distribution issue.

Amen!

Quote:

Should have built another pipeline instead of a Cardinal Stadium.

And, Amen!!
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 8/19/2003, 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Amen nighthiker!!!!!
I would have to agree with you! I was lucky as I started the weekend with a tank full of gas before all this started so I have not yet been effected by it. Well not in the fact that I have had to find gas. I did, however, make the ultimate sacrifice and skip a hike up in Payson so I didn't burn the gas I have. Bummer!

I want to shine!
Daryl

PostPosted: 8/19/2003, 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Basic econimics, the law of supply and demand...

When the supply drops the demand rises, and thus the price must rise otherwise the supply runs out. If the gas stations followed the law of supply and demand, they would be charging $5/gallon and there would be no lines because the people that are buying 2-3 gallons just to be safe won't, and no one would fill gas cans to take with them. People would only buy what they needed.
Also, at $5/gallon more people would consider telecommuting/car pooling/the bus... The problem is the shut down pipeline, the gas price not going up high enough is compounding the problem.

I don't want to pay $5/gallon, but I'd rather pay $5/gallon then have to shop all over town and wait 2 hours. Okay everyone, flame away on me now!

On another note, how long will it be before someone blows up their car or house because they were storing all their hoarded gas! Poetic justice is itching to come out of her box.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: