ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Camera choices
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
IGO

PostPosted: 1/17/2007, 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've shot Pentax all my life.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
jkern15674

PostPosted: 1/18/2007, 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just picked up a Panasonic DMC-TZ1 dig cam. It has a 10X OPTICAL ZOOM not digital. Dig zoom sucks.
It is slim (+1") not like the SLR with the big 'ole lens
It was over 3 bones but WELL worth the greenbacks.
You can zoom in on hair on a boars back and get a crystal clear pic.
very impressive! I wish I knew how to post pics.
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 1/18/2007, 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What most people don't understand about digital zoom is that it's just taking the pixels you've got and expanding them to make an area of the picture look larger. You can do the same thing by taking the picture without digital zoom, and then manipulating it in Photoshop (or Picasa, etc.). In fact, it's much preferable, IMO, to do just that because YOU have more control over the process. Some cameras do digital zoom better than others however. My Canon G5 does a respectable job of it, but an inexpensive point-and-shoot that I picked up last year is absolutely horrible (it was a freebie, so I can't really complain!).

Some new cameras have hit the consumer market in the last year that combine multiple lenses to achieve higher optical zoom ratios in a small form-factor package. I'm guessing that the 10X you just picked up is this type.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/18/2007, 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jason that looks like a cool camera, I sure would love to have a 10x zoom in a pocketable camera. looking at www.pricegrabber.com they are even in the $230 range now if I got the model right.
IGO

PostPosted: 1/18/2007, 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm toten' an slr no matter what. Razz
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
jkern15674

PostPosted: 1/19/2007, 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes TIM with taxes and the memory card it pushes it over $300, and yes it has multiple lens inside. I am not exactly sure how it works but it's the BOMB if you want a compact, light camera. You can even put different lenses on it for even better pics. It has an underwater mode, fireworks, landscape, night pics, snow, sports, etc. And you can adjust the exposure with the click of a button.

"I'm toten' an sir not matter what???" huh
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 1/19/2007, 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

jkern15674 wrote:
"I'm toten' an sir not matter what???" huh

Uh, you better look again. He said he's carrying a SLR no matter what. Me too by the way.
I would like to have a compact (point and shoot) for mtn biking though.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 1/20/2007, 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SLR=Single Lens Reflex, a type of camera where you use an optical viewfinder that looks through the actual glass (using a prism) that is going to focus the image to the film/sensor. Before that the Rangefinder was highly popular with photographers shooting 35mm film for quality work. This type camera did not allow you to look through the lens though so you had little idea what the camera was going to capture with close up shots or shots that used other than a normal lens. Today an SLR or more often called DSLR now, has a physically bigger sensor than P&S cameras. This one thing even forgetting many of the other valuable features, means a whole lot to the quality of the final image.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 5/5/2007, 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I keep looking at that Canon S3 IS model. Do you guys think this one is legit, and not some re-conditioned thing?

Wisetronics.com

It's only $219 on there, the cheapest anywhere else is about $300 out the door.

They have the G7 on there for $325 as well.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 5/5/2007, 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

After a little research they have horrible customer reviews, like 3 on a 1-10 scale, everything from shipping delays, out of stock when being told it's in stock and refurb stuff. I may still try and call them tomorrow and see if I can find anything out.
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 5/6/2007, 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tim, if you were looking at this review site http://www.resellerratings.com/seller10721-p3-s1-d1.html the average rating over the last 6 months was 0.31 out of 10 based on 89 reviews. That is almost incredible. I would read all of those reviews and avoid this site like the plague.

Beach Camera is WYSIWYG. I have bought 3 cameras from them.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 5/6/2007, 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That was one of the sites I came across Joe. But dang they are just so cheap! If I get the G7 they are about $120 less than ANYWHERE else. I don't have a need for it right NOW, so maybe it's worth fussing with. I may call them today and see what I can find out.
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 5/6/2007, 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm not sure if any of you are aware of this, but there are other brands of cameras out there besides Canon. I know! Who knew?!
If you're looking for a point-and-shoot, check out Casio and Samsung (both excellent in my opinion). I'm a big fan of Nikon, but not their point-and-shoots. The menus don't seem as intuitive as some of the other brands.
If you look hard enough, you'll find negative reviews on just about every camera. Go to a store and check them out in person. Get a feel for what features you require and then find a menu style that you think is intuitive to you. Then consider megapixels (above 7 is overkill for a point-and-shoot) and also the LCD screen. It should be clear and easy to see even in the sun (that's a big selling point regarding the Casio brand).

Sorry to rant. I love photography and cameras. I just think it's weird every time a photo thread comes up on this site or another site, everyone is all "Canon!", "Canon!". Canon is not that great. Just my opinion.
evenstar

PostPosted: 5/6/2007, 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Consumer Reports gives high ratings to fujifilm cameras. I have the Fujifilm S5000. Pretty much point and shoot, but with some manual capabilities as well, plus 10X optical zoom!
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 5/6/2007, 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have an old fujifilm finepix model as well as a new Casio EX-Z60 (Which I hate). Having had 2 canons previously they took amazing pictures and I was very pleased with them. I liked the Panasonic DMC-TZ1 that Jason recommends above, but it has no manual controls. I want to take a step up from basic point and shoot, but don't want to tote around a DSLR.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: