ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Mt. Baldy Foothills Cross Country Skiing!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/15/2007, 4:49 am    Post subject: Mt. Baldy Foothills Cross Country Skiing! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Skier Girl I found some snow yesterday in the foothills of Mt. Baldy. There is at least 2 or 3 feet of it. I broke trail on an old logging road. The weather was great--sunny, chilly but not windy. I carried a thermometer, checked it one time--37 in the shade. The sun felt warm. You don't want it too warm or your skis will stick! It was great to be out in the woods alone on a gorgeous day, breaking trail. The old road I followed heads very gradually uphill. So I got a nice little workout going up, but not too hard. Then on the return, a mellow run, shushing along in the tracks I had made coming up. I followed them all the way back to the car. I didn't see anyone, but about halfway back the oddest thing, I noticed that someone had come along behind me, following in my tracks! I never saw this person, I don't know where they were, but when I got back there was another car there. Hmmm...

There were lots of elk tracks, and some of small animals. One set of tracks went from under a log, snuffled around a tree, and back under the log again. I couldn't figure out what that critter might be.

To get to this place, take 273 off 260, as if you were going to Sunrise Ski Resort. Past the General Store, follow 273 about 2 more miles, to the locked gate. At the gate there are restrooms and a kiosk. Look for the green gate into the non-motorized area. The deeper snow is up in the trees. Make your own trail or follow the ski tracks. Use Mt. Baldy topo map. Greer topo also helpful. There will probably be enough snow there for a few more days. You can rent the skis at the Sunrise General Store.

Sunrise cross country ski trails were open yesterday as well. Fee is $7 if you have your own skis. Pole Knoll parking lot had 4 cars, lots of ski tracks, but the snow was pretty shallow there.

Check out my photos! Skier Girl
IGO

PostPosted: 1/15/2007, 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good for you. I know you've been looking for some skiing.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/15/2007, 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looked like fun, I liked the "missing person shot", with just the poles and the ski's!

I hope to learn to ski this year, just need a bit more snow now. Humphrey's looked great yesterday driving by, it's starting to call my name Smile
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/15/2007, 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Did you want to learn cross country, downhill or both? I'd like to learn downhill now that I've gotten pretty good at cross country!
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/15/2007, 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would like to learn downhill, eventually would like to climb mountains then ski back down.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/15/2007, 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have friends who snowshoe up Escudilla and telemark ski down. It seems every year a new kind of skiing comes out, new types of skis for different uses. I guess I really like the mellow quiet shushing through the woods, though. But I'd like to try downhill!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 1/15/2007, 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well -- dont we have to support the Robust American Economy ? New Type of skiing - New Skis- More Jobs ?

I'd love to try out snowshoeing. Guru has been talking it up as well -- so how/where can you snowshoe w/o investing in gear ? Anyone done this somewhere close by ? anyone up to some snowshoeing ?
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/15/2007, 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Snowshoeing is pretty fun. I'm hooked on cross country skiing now, but I have to admit snowshoeing is fun. I don't know where you can rent them, though--I don't think there's anywhere up here. I have seen them sold very cheaply on Sierra Trading post, though, and I expect if you buy them at the end of the season you can get a deal.
IGO

PostPosted: 1/15/2007, 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
Well -- dont we have to support the Robust American Economy ? New Type of skiing - New Skis- More Jobs ?

I'd love to try out snowshoeing. Guru has been talking it up as well -- so how/where can you snowshoe w/o investing in gear ? Anyone done this somewhere close by ? anyone up to some snowshoeing ?

I hope to do my first this Sunday.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/15/2007, 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh, boy, fun! You bought yourself a pair, didn't you? What kind?
IGO

PostPosted: 1/15/2007, 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I bought a pair of Redfeather snow shoes and a seet of Black Diamond Syncline snow poles. Some gators and some snow boots. They're all still shiny.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: