ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Skiing anyone? Storm on the way!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/12/2007, 5:25 am    Post subject: Skiing anyone? Storm on the way! Reply to topic Reply with quote

In case you want to downhill ski this weekend, Sunrise has been open for awhile. And I just looked at forecasts for Greer, Alpine and Eagar. We are supposed to get a significant amount of snow tonight and tomorrow. Up to 8 inches in Greer and Alpine. (I'll believe it when I see it!)

If there is enough snow I will be cross country skiing on Sunday, after the roads are plowed and safer. XC skis can be rented at the gas station in Alpine. Sweat Shop in Eagar may still have a few pairs, also. There is supposed to be a place to rent them at Sunrise, too, I think at the store before you turn to go to the ski run. If you turn to the left on 273 right past that store and drive to the locked gate you can ski along the base of Mt. Baldy. And this year they are not allowing snowmobiles in that area!

You can also xc ski at:
Pole Knoll Recreation Area (see my write-ups on hikearizona.com)

Williams Valley cross country ski area near Alpine

On the Railroad Grade Trail by 260 between Sunrise turnoff and Greer turnoff. (The parking for the Railroad Grade Trail will be full of cars if there is snow, due to the sledding hill right there.)

And if you want, you can park at RR Grade TH and walk across the highway and ski off towards Green's Peak. You can break your own trail or follow the snowmobile tracks, which, I hate to admit, are great to ski on!

In Greer, at the Squirrel Springs cross country ski area (please note this area does not hold the snow for long!)

Anyone care to join me please p.m. Remember, this is still iffy because the snow has not yet fallen!

Elizabeth
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/12/2007, 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

In your day job you are the tourist bureau? Wink
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/12/2007, 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Not any more, but I did used to work for the Chamber.
IGO

PostPosted: 1/12/2007, 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Snowing pretty hard on Charleston all day.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
PageRob

PostPosted: 1/12/2007, 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kanab got socked in early this morning, and there was getting close to enough to snowshoe on up by Mt. Carmel Junction (I postholed a few spots walking a canyon rim). None in Page, of course, but the drive from Kanab to Page this afternoon with snow all the way to the Cockscomb, in the evening sunlight, was quite the treat.
The Kaibab was getting it pretty hard this morning when I drove through, but don't know about conditions later - I couldn't see it all day because of falling snow!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: