ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
A River Reborn - Restoration of Fossil Creek

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
threedogz

PostPosted: 1/4/2007, 12:51 pm    Post subject: A River Reborn - Restoration of Fossil Creek Reply to topic Reply with quote

PBS Special coming up

A River Reborn
The Restoration of Fossil Creek
Wednesday, Jan. 17 at 9 p.m.
Sunday, Jan. 21 at 5 p.m.

http://www.azpbs.org/bestbets.asp#edens
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 1/4/2007, 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

January 17th @ 9PM?

This is what I received on "Eight's" website when I searched by date and time....
http://www.azpbs.org/schedule.htm?display_feed=10&display_format=multifeed&station=KAET&zipcode=&transport=&provider=&feeds=10%2C11600%2C15016&display_date=2007-01-17&display_time=9%3A00pm

But when I searched 'A River Reborn"
The following was retreived...
Eight Pressroom

A RIVER REBORN:
THE RESTORATION OF FOSSIL CREEK
JANUARY 17 AT 9 PM
EIGHT/KAET-TV

In an age of increasing energy needs, what would cause one of Arizona 's largest electric companies to voluntarily remove one of its power-generating dams? The answer is an intricate tapestry of many threads, whose story is told in A River Reborn: The Restoration of Fossil Creek, an Eight/KAET-TV special presentation, airing Wednesday, Jan. 17, 2007 at 9 p.m.

Narrated by actor Ted Danson, the documentary tells how Arizona Public Service (APS) and environmental advocates overcame the odds to restore this beautiful river to the people of Arizona . After 100 years of water diversion, a host of partners from environmental advocacy groups, APS, the Yavapai-Apache Nation, resource agency biologists, and NAU scientists gathered to celebrate the return of full flow to Fossil Creek. Despite tension and conflicting interests, APS and dam-removal advocates reached the agreement without court involvement, in what has become an unprecedented display of democracy in action.

In explaining his decision to support decommissioning of the Fossil Creek hydroelectric facility William Post, Chairman of APS, says, “As we looked at the opportunity to give the residents of the state of Arizona a perennial stream in the desert … there is no option to that. We can find other ways to generate electricity. We cannot find other perennial streams in the desert.”

Fossil Creek is among the brightest jewels of Arizona 's Rim Country. It is one of the last free-flowing, year-around streams in Arizona , a magnificent ribbon of life in the high desert. The restoration of this critical watershed has drawn wide attention, not only in Arizona but across the U.S. , and is emblematic of a far-reaching change in the public attitude toward rivers and dams.

“Today, people in the Southwest and throughout the country are reassessing the use of precious water resources,” said Dr. Stefan Sommer, Executive Producer of A River Reborn . “They are seeking to balance the fulfillment of human needs with protection of the natural systems that support human life. Fossil Creek is a focal point for this reassessment; it reveals both the challenges and opportunities associated with riparian restoration.”

Narrator Ted Danson grew up in Flagstaff and has a deep interest in environmental issues in his native state. “The Fossil Creek story provides a beacon of hope and an inspiring model for the restoration of degraded streams and waterways,” says Danson. “Even now, as a work in progress, Fossil Creek stands out as one of the most important and promising environmental restoration projects in the history of the American Southwest.”

A River Reborn chronicles both the natural and human history of the scenic waterway. It introduces scientists who have studied Fossil Creek's outstanding biological and geological features, environmental advocates who have fought for its restoration, Federal and state resource managers who are working to establish it as a refuge for threatened native fish, and officials at APS, the utility that ran the hydroelectric facilities for a century.

kurt

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/4/2007, 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I wonder if Mr Post has the same sentiments regarding the Colorado River and Glen Canyon . . . . .
ck1

PostPosted: 1/4/2007, 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I saw this film at the Prescott Creeks festival a month or so ago. It's entertaining. It runs a bit long, but the film does an excellent job of celebrating the restoration of the creek.

"The Journey is the Destination"
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 1/17/2007, 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you're interested in seeing this, don't forget it plays tonight y'all.

GTG
azhiker96

PostPosted: 1/17/2007, 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the reminder!
rayhiker

PostPosted: 1/17/2007, 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Missed it! Sad How was it?
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/18/2007, 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I fell asleep watching it, but TIVO'd it, so will watch it whenever now.
PageRob

PostPosted: 1/18/2007, 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Got back from watching the birds too late to see it - any good?
threedogz

PostPosted: 1/18/2007, 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I recorded it and watched it. It was awesome, but I'm into stuff like that.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 1/18/2007, 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I enjoyed it. It was interesting to see the steps they took to renew the creek after deciding to decomm. the power plants. It was also good to find out they're spending the money ($3.8M I think) to removed the structures and restore the area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: