ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
KAYAK 101

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 12/11/2006, 5:35 pm    Post subject: KAYAK 101 Reply to topic Reply with quote

Im wondering if there are any paddlers here, dont hear much about kayaks... I just got a Dagger Specter 14' touring boat and Im going to git out to Tempe lake for some practice runs- after that I want to do Canyon lake up the into the Salt and the Rim lakes once we get warmer. If anyone has been to these fantastic areas please post pics!

The whole idea of this new toy is to expand my camping possibilities, and with 7500+ storage space it should work. I always said to myself, places like Blue Ridge have super nice spots that can easily be reached by boat. Very Happy

what i do
DesertRoux

PostPosted: 12/11/2006, 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Uh oh. Now I need to buy a boat. Rolling Eyes

-Hunter S. Thompson
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 12/11/2006, 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great Place Blue Ridge, camped nd paddled about several times this past year. Great campsite away from the lake is just north of the spillway. The lake is now managed by Salt River Project and they have chnged the name of the lake but have not posted signs yet.
PageRob

PostPosted: 12/11/2006, 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been looking into Pygmy Boats kit kayak for a few years now, but so far my experience is limited to borrowed boats on the Colorado in Glen Canyon, and Parker Canyon Lake.
Suz

PostPosted: 12/11/2006, 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds fun!

I've only done ocean kayaking......and been canoeing once on the Salt River. Canyon Lake has some great coves with sandy beaches, perfect for camping. Unfortunately, that lake can be crazy with boaters.
Daryl

PostPosted: 12/11/2006, 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've done a lot of kayaking on the lower Salt, Canyon Lake and Lake Powell. And a 3 day canoe trip down the colorado river. Not a lot of pictures as I usually leave the camera at home. However, expect a lot of wildlife. The animals don't seem to be as afraid of you when you're on a boat.
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 12/12/2006, 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have an old Perception Dancer 12' whitewater boat--we got it for free! I've talked to Nancy Kanu of Canyons and Coastlines. She no longer runs a kayaking school but was willing to teach me the eskimo roll and other techniques if I could get use of a pool up here in the White Mtns. Her mom lives up here, so she comes up a lot. But right about the time we were making plans to meet this past summer she got injured and had to cancel. Now it's way too cold up here, so I guess I'll have to wait--also need to check on Show Low's indoor pool. I've tried finding an instructor in Yuma, where I'll be going soon, but the business there that did that is now closed. I still need to get the skirt and PFD, floatation bags, etc. I do have a paddle, though. I also got a DVD called the Kayak Roll, but I am pretty sure I could never learn from that! Nancy says the roll is not a natural movement, so even once you learn it you have to keep on practicing. She also said my kayak's opening is too small, and she didn't recommend I use it for anything but learning, and Class 1 and 2--so like, lower Colorado River. She said that's why they quit making the Dancer--it was too hard to get out of! Shocked

Well, if I ever get my act together I'll let people know, maybe I can meet up with some of you folks for a boating event. Also, I usually find a way to go rafting on the Salt in the spring, even if I have to pay commercial rates. It's worth it, it's a lot of fun! Next time, though, I want to try the rubber ducky!
mmacmike

PostPosted: 12/12/2006, 5:42 am    Post subject: kayaking Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very cool American!!!!! If I lived out in Arizona I'm hook up with ya. I've been kayaking for 3 years now and love it. You'll see the wilderness in a different way from a boat. I would love to see some of you photos when you take them. Anyway enjoy the experience.
Daryl

PostPosted: 12/12/2006, 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If anyone is interested, I have a Wavesport Z I want to get rid of.

It's a nice whitewater play boat capable of fitting normal and larger sized people (small people fit well too). It's built like a tank, so breaking it is no worry, but it only weighs about 40 pounds.
It's not the best boat for a lake or long hours on a river and there is practically zero storage space in it. However, on even a slow moving river like the lower Salt it can be a blast! And it does have a water bottle holder!

PostPosted: 12/13/2006, 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you are going to use your own kayak on Tempe Town lake -you need a yearly permit/sticker. I think it is $5 for Tempe residents but $50 for non-residents-so bring a friend from Tempe. We have 2 Swifties. Going down the Salt from below Saguaro to Granite Reef is a blast. In our Utility bill from Scottsdale there was an activity guide listing a midnight paddle on Bartlett during the last full moon- sounds cool but had to give it a miss -maybe some other time!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: