ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions & Suggestions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suz

PostPosted: 12/5/2006, 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

BoyNhisDog wrote:
Size it to 99 pixels on the longest side and they do a Save for Web in PS. .

That was so simple.........now we know! Thanks Matt for leading the way for getting that cleared up! (for some of us) I'm hoping this will lead to some updated avatars!
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 12/5/2006, 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

paintninaz wrote:
Matt, nice to SEE you!!! Ok

Thanks! I'm happy to be seen...finally!

suz wrote:
Thanks Matt for leading the way

No problem. Maybe my ability to share my computer illiteracy with all of you will be a benefit to some of you. Embarassed
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 12/6/2006, 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

BoyNhisDog wrote:
Size it to 99 pixels on the longest side and they do a Save for Web in PS. You can fiddle with the quality but you don't need to go higher than 50%. You should be well below 15kb.

This doesn't make sense to computer illiterates. What's a PS? How do you find the place where it says you can change the pixels? You computer heads give instructions from a far too advanced point-of-view.

(I tried taking classes. Three semesters and now sometimes I can copy and paste. But Ambika has pm'd me a new program she says is easy, so I will download it and try it. Thanks again, Ambika!)
Suz

PostPosted: 12/6/2006, 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Elizabeth, you have a lot of stick-to-it-ness. Laughing

PS = Photoshop

If you have any type of editing software (and I read that you don't) pixels can be found when you pull up IMAGE SIZE along the top menu bar. It's been a very long time since I've done anything in "paint". Don't think I can help you with that. Hopefully you'll get some relief with the software that Ambika sent you.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 12/6/2006, 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz, you are a beautiful outdoor model. Nice avatar!

Liz, he said he had Photoshop. That is PS in industry terms. Mr. Green Under the top menu list you will see things like File, Edit and then Image. You will see Image Size or Size Image, something like that in the drop down menu there. In the image size command box that pops up you will see the pixel dimensions at the top. Just type in 99 in the longest side and the shorter side will follow. Save for Web is in the drop down File Menu. In Save for Web you will see a little slider over to the right where you can vary the quality. For most any web work I go about 50% because going higher isn't going to help but it does drive up the file size.

I don't know how any other programs work. I only use PS. Very Happy
Suz

PostPosted: 12/6/2006, 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 12/6/2006, 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I see you answered the question Suz. I must have been reading it while you were hitting the send button. Then I tried to think of a cognitive answer. Mr. Green
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 12/7/2006, 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks again, everyone! I am a bit hopeless, but I suppose I can learn something new once in awhile!
Suz

PostPosted: 12/7/2006, 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

............and we'll know you really learned when we see you've changed that avatar...what's the hold up, Missy?
evenstar

PostPosted: 12/7/2006, 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
Thanks again, everyone! I am a bit hopeless, but I suppose I can learn something new once in awhile!

12:00 12:00 12:00 12:00 Razz
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 12/7/2006, 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

12:00 12:00 12:00.

Hmmm, change my avatar photo... How come? You don't like it? It has a mtn. bike in it instead of Yuppie Trekking Poles?? Mr. Green

It does have that guy in the background. I don't even remember who that guy is! (12:00 12:00 12:00) What if he sees himself on here sometime, and sues the website for unauthorized publication of his photo? Mr. Green
IGO

PostPosted: 12/7/2006, 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
12:00 12:00 12:00.

Hmmm, change my avatar photo... How come? You don't like it? It has a mtn. bike in it instead of Yuppie Trekking Poles?? Mr. Green

It does have that guy in the background. I don't even remember who that guy is! (12:00 12:00 12:00) What if he sees himself on here sometime, and sues the website for unauthorized publication of his photo? Mr. Green

Now if ya really want ta learn sumthin' and ya like your picture, you can learn how to make that guy in your avitar go away. Digital is wonderful that way.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 12/7/2006, 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What guy?? Say What?

Tim, do you see a guy??
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 12/8/2006, 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey, wow! Now I'm actually impressed! Not that I didn't know it was possible, just didn't think of it! Thanks Mike, you're a pal!

So is it also going to appear on my posts? I guess I'll have to finish this post to find out?

Oh, and by the way, does anyone want to know why I get grumpy about the word "avatar?" No, you didn't want to know? Well, I'm going to tell you anyway, so there! It's because it's an old Sanskrit word, used by Hindus. It means, literally, Incarnation of God.

Now I figure that the use of this word is ubiquitous on the internet, not just on this site, correct? But some sites do use just regular English words for the profiles, not some arcane word stolen from the Sanskrit. I would assume that some people knowing the meaning of this word might even be offended in some way. I mean, we do have all kinds of folks participating here, right?

So, calling one's photo Incarnation of God might offend the Atheists because they don't believe in such stuff. The Christians could get offended because they only believe in One incarnation of God, not a whole bunch of them. The Hindus might get offended because it's like stealing a word from their religion. The Secular Progressives (yes, I confess, I do sometimes watch O'Reilly) might get offended because it's not politically correct to offend Hindus or Atheists (but maybe they don't care if they offend Christians?)

Just food for thought. I like words, I already knew the meaning of this word, but looked it up just to be sure.

Just having fun here, nobody needs to get too serious! Wink
IGO

PostPosted: 12/8/2006, 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mike wrote:
What guy?? Say What?

Tim, do you see a guy??

Is he still alive? Is he OK?
Laughing
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions & Suggestions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: