ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Signs in the strangest desert
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suz

PostPosted: 11/19/2006, 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

yes, yes, yes............where was I? I can't remember now, probably sedona........and we saw rocks glued onto another boulder............not nearly as artsy as what you found but it was an attempt and it meant something to someone.

Ambika and I left some "art" on the Bassett Peak Trail. It was actually fun to stop and create. I doubt anyone took a picture of our art, though.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 11/19/2006, 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azhiker96 wrote:
Very nice Glenn. Just curious, do you remember the orientation of the sign? Was the lizard on the north?

Yes the lizard was on the north side of the "wheel". Does that have significance? I figure it must if you asked.

This was no where near Sedona. It had been there long enough that it just seemed to belong. I just love seeing little designs out in the strange places and this is the most elaborate I have come across. I have photographs of several others from here and there. I don't make them either, I just take it all down in images and notes. This is no more than 12" from one side of the circle to the other if I recall correctly.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 11/19/2006, 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Lizard Medicine Wheel, means transformation, dreaming and regrowth
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 11/19/2006, 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Arizonaheat wrote:
The Lizard Medicine Wheel, means transformation, dreaming and regrowth

Very, very interesting. Well that certainly answers the question of why then, at least from my perspective.

The question “Why”, I will try to give it a go through my images and the words of others. In the end, you really just had to be there. After two days and two nights, we both had so much vertigo that any question had ceased to make sense. I have been in this place several times but won’t speak of locations on the net, please, but have discussed this with a couple of people on this site previously and it still haunts me. We could all take the same trip and every single person would have a different experience. I can only speak for myself.

One had to learn to live without illusion. No one had ever become one with another. There was no coming home. One had to learn to love without feeling safe and secured to the ground, to accept being cast into the darkness, where no one knew what was it was going to be like, at that dangerous place where the winds meet. –Francesca Marciano; Rules of the Wild

This one still reminds me of that T.S. Elliott piece that we have spoken of before;

This is the dead land
This is the cactus land
Here the stone images
Are raised, here they receive
The supplication of a dead man's hand
Under the twinkle of a fading star.
Is it like this
In death's other kingdom
Waking alone
At the hour when we are
Trembling with tenderness
Lips that would kiss
Form prayers to broken stone.

When you stand in a place which was once upon a time a coastal rainforest of biological opulence beyond belief, near an inland sea, and now not a single plant or the magnificent plethora of reptiles remain, just these altars to something that once was, this thing that someone meticulously created is just another enigma out in one arm of a spiral galaxy among many billons of galaxies spread an incomprehensible lights years asunder. Why? I don’t know why. Just thought I would share and hear of all of your visions and vistas.

We all will die, and even the stars will fade out one after another in time. –Jack Kerouac; Desolation Angels

I call this one The Gathering.

Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 11/19/2006, 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great photo's Glen.

The first one is haunting indeed, I can feel a power there just looking at the photograph. Did you and Girlfreind have a feeling of peace and tranquility while there, calmness. Since Linda is posing for the photograph I assume there wasn't any negativity go on, feelings of unrest, loss or something gone wrong, anything that made you feel uneasy or on edge.

Just curious
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 11/19/2006, 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Arizonaheat wrote:

The first one is haunting indeed, I can feel a power there just looking at the photograph. Did you and Girlfreind have a feeling of peace and tranquility while there, calmness. Since Linda is posing for the photograph I assume there wasn't any negativity go on, feelings of unrest, loss or something gone wrong, anything that made you feel uneasy or on edge.

Just curious

I almost never experience negativity in the desert but almost always have that feeling of loss and unease, a bit on edge perhaps, behind all of the good and peaceful feelings out there. Do you know what I mean? It never leaves me but I don't know why. It is always like this. They are mostly background feelings mixed in with the obvious enthralling experience. She spoke of some of the same after we had exited and had gone on to other places as if it was a sort of relief to be "back" out of that world. She also wants to be back in there.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/19/2006, 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Outstanding images, Glen. The 1st image is haunting indeed...
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 11/19/2006, 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

....almost always have that feeling of loss and unease, a bit on edge perhaps, behind all of the good and peaceful feelings out there. Do you know what I mean?

Most definitely.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 11/19/2006, 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the images. The orientation was just a guess based on the shadows and the way it points to the four directions. I have a pot made in the four corners area by a modern artist that needs to be oriented to the North. Heat, thanks for the meaning of the circle.
IGO

PostPosted: 11/19/2006, 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

More info please. This looks like it's on the ground. How is it made and how is it posted. What kind of location? Very interesting.
I found treasure today too but that will be another thread.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
IGO

PostPosted: 11/19/2006, 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nevermind, I'm sure I have an idea of this place.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 11/19/2006, 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Does this image help any IGO? I don't want to get too many on one page so this will have to do. It was mid-day and the light was harsh so some of the images are simply for documentation type photography. We stayed out till it was black, dark and walked back in that. That was spooky but I like it spooky. I converted the original Signs detail image to B&W and toned it. That made it fine for more than just documentation from the subject matter alone. I would like to hear more of George's pot and where I can find one.

wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 11/19/2006, 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very awesome, haunting and intriguing indeed. I wasn't there but the photo's brought a feeling to me that I can't describe. Thank you for sharing this. I'll have to come back to these again and gaze longer, then maybe I'll get insight into what I'm feeling. Wow!!

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
IGO

PostPosted: 11/19/2006, 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

North of Petrified but South of DeChelly, maybe Hopi?
I don't need an answer.
The work is moving. It must have been very special to have come across it. How old do you think it is?
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 11/19/2006, 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I hesitate to put an age on the artwork but the rest of it, you can pick just about any age you want as there are that many contiguous layers there.

Michelle, I'm glad this touched you and others. There are may sites out there and some not so far away at all that have not been gazed upon by very many if any. Then you find a sign that says someone was there and it expresses what it may have meant to them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: