ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Backpacking food score!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 11/18/2006, 7:52 pm    Post subject: Backpacking food score! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Safeway has the Lipton "cooks in N minutes" rice and noodle side dishes on sale this week for $1.

Repack them into a snack size ziplock, add 3 oz chicken or tuna, and you have a great back pack meal.
Suz

PostPosted: 11/18/2006, 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

yeah....wooohooo, great idea! I love those things.....with a tinch of tabasco sauce they are sweet!
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 11/19/2006, 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OHHHH! Hittin Safe way this week!

I want to shine!
IGO

PostPosted: 11/19/2006, 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Backpacking food score! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn wrote:
Safeway has the Lipton "cooks in N minutes" rice and noodle side dishes on sale this week for $1.

Repack them into a snack size ziplock, add 3 oz chicken or tuna, and you have a great back pack meal.

I've used one of those each night of my last two week long trips. Great BP food.
While we're at it, you can take any of the Lipton "Rice Sides" and dump them in your pot, let them sit for 10 minutes them just warm'm up hugely reducing cook time a fuel needs. Works great.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Suz

PostPosted: 11/19/2006, 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think Bashas has Ramen Noodles on sale 8 for .96 cents.........ahhhhhhhh can that be right? 12 cents a package??????
DesertDog

PostPosted: 11/19/2006, 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
I think Bashas has Ramen Noodles on sale 8 for .96 cents.........ahhhhhhhh can that be right? 12 cents a package??????

I had a few cases in the shed out back, but those pesky bobcats kept getting into them........ irked
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 11/20/2006, 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well I scored 7 of the Lipton side dishes of both rice or noodles so thanks for the heads up Shawn. Only 7 bucks for a lot of good trip food.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 11/20/2006, 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:

Yeah, it costs more for the package than the fluff inside. Which is also true a can of a Coke nowdays as well.
DAB

PostPosted: 4/15/2007, 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Backpacking food score! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn wrote:
...(snip) Repack them into a snack size ziplock, add 3 oz chicken or tuna, and you have a great back pack meal.

IGO wrote:
... dump them in your pot, let them sit for 10 minutes them just warm'm up hugely reducing cook time a fuel needs.

Great carb/protein & cooking tip - I'll be adding that to my newbie packer list! Very Happy
IGO

PostPosted: 4/15/2007, 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bachpackers watch the grams they pack away. Even if they are not devoted ultralight backpackers such as myself; we take a close hard look atwhat we are willing to cart around on our backs for 2 days or 2 weeks. It could easily cost a grand or even two to shave 12 Wal Mart pounds off of your backpack weight.
Have you ever thought of sawing half the handle off your toothbrush? or wearing the same socks for 3 days?
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: