ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Toughest Hike
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
ck1

PostPosted: 7/21/2003, 9:47 pm    Post subject: Toughest Hike This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

I was asked this question not to long ago by a friend who recently moved to AZ...he asked...

"What's the toughest single day hike in the state?"

What would be your answer(s)?

"The Journey is the Destination"
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 7/22/2003, 8:19 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Ridgeline - Superstitions

or

RTR GC

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
sidhayes

PostPosted: 7/22/2003, 9:08 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Florida canyon trailhead to summit of Mt. Wrightson and return-15 miles. 5500 foot gain.
Daryl

PostPosted: 7/22/2003, 10:57 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

I agree with Olesma,
Rim-river-rim or rim-rim at the Grand Canyon.
Miles, elevation change, even a pretty dramatic climate change.

Although many people wouldn't consider either a day hike.
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 7/22/2003, 1:16 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Tough question. There are so many and you can really make them as long and hard as anyone needs in a day.

I am surprised that Sid has picked a hike on Mount Wrightson. I new the hiking was very tough there but I feel a whole lot better that he though so as well. I did a shorter hike there with Lizard last Sunday and we all felt it. A short description with five photos here-> Push to the Summit

Our version was a 4000' climb and worse for my taste, a 4000' steep descent. The trail was a rock strew minefield in many places and steep. There are a lot of tough hikes. I don't know what the toughest is but this one was all I needed in a day. The sights and the cool air were worth it.
evenstar

PostPosted: 7/22/2003, 1:34 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Great photos, as usual, Glen. Thanks for sharing.

My toughest hike was the day I did Piestewa Peak and Echo Canyon back to back. Piestewa Peak did in my ankles and Echo did in my knees. Crazy
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 7/22/2003, 2:13 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind works Hoolie. My knees are the problem spot as well on a hike with a lot of vertical. I started feeling pain in the tendons on the outside of my knees. I don't know what I'd do without my trekking poles anymore.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 7/22/2003, 2:15 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Grand Canyon Rim to Rim.

PostPosted: 7/22/2003, 3:24 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

The toughest day hike that I have done...Flatiron/mid July/noon start. That day, I deducted, the words "toughest" and "me hiking" do not mix well at all!

I do have one curiosity about this question..."WWSS" (What Would Sid Say)
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 7/22/2003, 6:56 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Quote:

WWSS" (What Would Sid Say)

3rd Post....
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 7/22/2003, 6:58 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Welcome Glen! Great pix. WWSS--he did, Florida Canyon. It's long and steep, but more gradual than some. Still, with my pet rock, I took a day and a half, then went down to Madera via the Supertrail, shuttled back to Florida.

The night time view of the lights of Tucson, and Green Valley, and Nogales, and the glow of Phoenix in the distant north from the summit, or even Baldy Saddle is unbeleivable....-R

PostPosted: 7/22/2003, 7:09 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
Quote:

WWSS" (What Would Sid Say)

3rd Post....

Oops...sorry Sid! Thanks for pointing that out Mike. I guess when you live in Arizona and your A/C goes out, it tends to affect the brain...or lack of! Shocked
desertgirl

PostPosted: 7/22/2003, 9:55 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

I think the conditions in which you hike makes a huge difference .....

I have done Rim 2 Rim in Fall and thought it was hard and then did the same 4th july weekend and decided it was the single most "stupid" thing I have done so far....

Grandcanyon backcountry tends to become a challenge in summer months - especially if you are attempting to cover fairly large distances in remote areas. I guess the fact that you know if things go wrong....the buzzards will find you changes the toughness factor
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 7/23/2003, 4:47 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

CatValet wrote:
Welcome Glen! Great pix. WWSS--he did, Florida Canyon. It's long and steep, but more gradual than some. Still, with my pet rock, I took a day and a half, then went down to Madera via the Supertrail, shuttled back to Florida.
-R

Thank you Randy. I just realized that the elevation changes on some of the Wrightson hikes are similar to the Grand Canyon. Sids route has a 5500' gain so with the condition of the trail it should be much tougher. If I am reading my book right the Bright Angel to the river is a 4360' elevation drop and is 7.7 miles to the river. I believe that trail is in far better condition than the Old Baldy trail and most likely the Florida Canyon trail. That makes a huge difference to me.

Another tough hike is Finger Rock trail from the end of Alvernon in Tucson to Kimbal peak. It is 10.2 miles round trip and has a 4200' elevation gain with a very rocky tough trail. It is an obstacle course.
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 7/23/2003, 7:12 am    Post subject: Finger Rock This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Did Finger Rock one winter and it is a toughie! Didn't make it all the way as it started snowing(remember snow?) + we were not really prepared for any weather. This was also before my 3 knee surgeries when the parts were a little more well-oiled! Mt.Elden almost did me in one summer about 3 yrs ago,when it was unseasonably hot, mostly because of the unusual heat and the elevation gain. Was just a bad day! I think it depends on your stamina plus the environment at the time. When I was a regular on Piewesta,it never got easier daily, but some days when I was tired or stressed,I actually did better time than when rested! Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: