ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Rockstar?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suz

PostPosted: 9/15/2006, 6:05 pm    Post subject: Rockstar? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Has anyone tried Full Throttle, Rockstar or any of the other energy drinks?

Would like to hear reviews. Did it taste okay? Did it make a difference in your hike?
IGO

PostPosted: 9/15/2006, 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's a drug, not nutrition. I wouldn't think this would be the way someone would want to improve on their hiking. It's based on caffeine I beleive and that has several negative effects, namely dehydration.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Suz

PostPosted: 9/15/2006, 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm seeing 70% fruit juice. More caffeine that a cup of coffee?

Have you tried it?
IGO

PostPosted: 9/15/2006, 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I drank a Rock Star. I didn't care for it much. I don't know how much caffiene there is in it.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
DesertDog

PostPosted: 9/15/2006, 7:40 pm    Post subject: Energy Drinks Reply to topic Reply with quote

Since giving up the coffee about 5 years ago, these energy drinks are my bad habit. I drink at least 1 per day; a couple, more than likely, and up to 4 or 5 on occasion (not recommended).

I was drinking only the sugar-free until the juice blends came out.

Both the Rock Star 'Juiced' and Monster 'Kaos' are better than palatable, IMO. The Rock Star (my preference) is not as sweet as the Monster.

Both supply a decent kick, but are not as potent as the Red Bull. Then again, they're not as nasty as the Red Bull, either (you don't want to drink this swill warm Wacko).

Caffeine supplies the primary boost, but there are other additives that enhance the overall effectiveness of the beverages.

All these drinks list 'taurine' high on the list of ingredients:

Taurine (from Latin taurus = bull, as it was first isolated from ox (Bos taurus) bile in 1827 by German scientists Friedrich Tiedemann and Leopold Gmelin) or 2-aminoethanesulfonic acid is an acidic chemical substance found in high abundance in the tissues of many animals (metazoa), especially sea animals. Taurine is also found in plants, fungi, and some bacterial species, but in far less abundance. Although it is often called an amino acid, even in scientific literature,[1][2][3] it lacks a carboxyl group and therefore does not qualify as an amino acid.[4] It does contain a sulfonate group and may be called an amino sulfonic acid. Small polypeptides have been identified which contain taurine but to date no tRNA synthetase has been identified as specifically recognizing taurine and capable of charging it to a tRNA. [5]

Both Rock Star and Monster add large amounts of B vitamins (being a vegetarian, I appreciate this), herb (like ginseng) and l-carnitine:

Carnitine, also known as L-carnitine (levocarnitine) is a quaternary ammonium compound derived from the amino acid lysine and is responsible for the transport of fatty acids from the cytosol into the mitochondria. It is often sold as a nutritional supplement. Originally found as a growth factor for mealworms and labled Vitamin Bt. Natural carnitine is the L-stereoisomer. It can be synthesised within the body from the amino acids lysine or methionine. Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is essential to the synthesis of carnitine. It has been speculated that during growth or pregnancy the requirement of carnitine could exceed its natural production.

I rarely drink anything other than these 3 drinks nowadays.
I will say most of these are acquired tastes.
Of the ones I used to drink:

Rock Star SF- taste best to me- works well.
Monster SF- too sweet for my taste-works well.
Kronik SF- tastes like crap (synthetic-tasting grapefruit flavor, and it's blue!?!)- works well.
Full Throttle SF- not bad tasting (tastes really good mixed 50/50 w/OJ)- works well.

Red Bull is the handiest for sticking in the bottom of your pack if you can't live without an energy drink in the AM even if you are in the bottom of the GC Embarassed. It comes in tiny cans, packs a punch, and always seems to come out frosty cold, although admittedly chemically-tainted.

Thanks to Wikpedia Wink

If I'm blazing up the Flatiron tomorrow AM, you'll know why.... Razz
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 9/15/2006, 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

so... might we see powdered Red Bull in the future?
it still tastes like alka seltzer!

coffee for me, please

what i do
Adventurer

PostPosted: 9/15/2006, 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

caffeine per 8 oz

Coca cola classic 23 mg
diet coke 31 mg
Full throttle 72 mg
tab energy 72 mg
rockstar 75mg
Von dutch 80mg
rockstar juiced 80mg
cofee 65-120

I work at coke and I got the info in the mail yesterday.
LongStoryShort

PostPosted: 9/15/2006, 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Every once in a while. It's not any worse than anything else in moderation.
threedogz

PostPosted: 9/15/2006, 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you have an addiction to caffeine, and coffee is not available during your hike, this wouldn't be a bad alternative to consider. There is nothing like being on a hike without your usual caffeine intake like you have on a non-hiking day. You will more than likely suffer from some withdrawals, inability to concentrate, headaches, agitation and just that awkward feeling like you were turned into a sloth for a day.

But, some of these drinks on a regular basis I'm sure is not a healthy alternative.

I'm definitely going to bring one of these drinks and consume it before the R2R hike, because I don't think I will have time to savor 2 cups of coffee like I do on a usual morning. I'd hate to have a migraine on mile 10 of the hike.
LongStoryShort

PostPosted: 9/15/2006, 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It can't be worse than all the beer I drink.
threedogz

PostPosted: 9/15/2006, 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

After the day I had at work, I'm tempted to mix a Sam Adams Beer, Rockstar and a strong cup of coffee together and drink it up.

I may need a defibrillator after that concoction though....
LongStoryShort

PostPosted: 9/15/2006, 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

threedogz wrote:
After the day I had at work, I'm tempted to mix a Sam Adams Beer, Rockstar and a strong cup of coffee together and drink it up.

LMAO!

Redbull and Crown Royal. Man it tastes good, but makes you feel like you're gonna have a heart attack.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 9/16/2006, 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I drink all that energy drink stuff. I bring a Redbull on mtn. bike rides occasionally. I also bring Clif Shots Mocha gel with caffeine in it on hikes and bike rides sometimes. (I can't buy Clif Shots here, though, I have to stock up at the bike shop in Show Low, but I can get all those drinks.) I totally agree that if you have a caffeine habit you had better bring something along on the hike for right after lunch, even a couple of No Doz pills, or you will probably either get a headache or feel pretty dragged out.

It's true it does dehydrate you and you have to drink more water to compensate.

As for Rock Star, I think it's that brand I recently discovered has this really tasty mango flavored one. But Redbull comes in the handy small can and really packs a wallop. And there is a new one I haven't tried that has creatine in it. I forget the brand. As for the taste of Red Bull, you get used to it. (I know, I know, that's what they say about prison!)

On my Sierras hike I brought caffeine pills, Mocha Clif Shots and (yucky) Folgers coffee tea bag thingies. Used 'em all--and it took two tea bag things to make one reasonably strong cup of coffee. I don't really over do it, but I do make sure I have something for right after lunch when I usually feel less than energetic.
beckett

PostPosted: 9/16/2006, 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have never drank energy drinks...but I love my coffee. My daughter drinks MDX energy soda. She tells me it's made by Mountain Dew and tastes a lot like it too. It comes in a mini plastic pop bottle with a screw top which makes it easy to save some for later if you can't finish it all at one time. One bottle is suppose to be two servings. I think I'll stick to my coffee and energy bars.
Linda

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 9/16/2006, 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

threedogz wrote:

Chuckle Or a cardioversion!

I want to shine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: