ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Trip partners utah October

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 9/6/2006, 5:05 am    Post subject: Trip partners utah October Reply to topic Reply with quote

For anyone interested in a relatively long river backpack I plan on backpacking a section of the Escalante River Oct 15th- probably the 21st. Shuttle services out of Escalante are quoting what I think are really high prices; haven't gotton all the bids in yet. So I am looking for a partner or two. However I'm fine with a solo trip too.

Details:
The hike length is approximately 60 miles, including the 14 mile exit using Coyote Gulch to Hurricane Wash TH. Entrance will be via Egypt TH Fence Canyon. The Escalante River is about 85 miles, bordered by use trails, there is no established trail. Some bushwacking and major crossing or wading of the river is assured. Possibly steep short climbs cutting benches on use trails. Possibly a steep scree climb out near Steven's canyon if water is up at Lake Powell, and some minor stuff in lower Coyote Gulch.
I doubt any swimmers that cannot be bypassed. Water level is usually low this time of year, ankle to knee deep in spots.
If a lot of rain I have plan B and C.
Maps: Trails Illustrated Canyons of the Escalante is pretty good. I will be printing off some TOPO maps also.

An option would be to split the shuttle prices, and leave a vehicle at midpoint ( probably the Moody canyons) as a possible escape route if needed. Would be a long car shuttle but the driving is view filled and spectacular scenery.
Pros: Absolutely spectacular scenery, big red streaked walls, available water, beautiful side canyons, of the first we'll see will be Neon and the Golden Cathedral, solitude in the middle areas. No bugs this time of year. Some Anasazi/Archaic evidence, no large ruins tho--
Cons: Water hiking, some don't like it. Quicksand, it may be slow in spots, and may be very brushy. Water and night temps may be on the cold side. Possible storms and some flash flooding ( Escalante proper is a pretty wide drainage with lots of places to get to high ground). Sandy areas on the benches.

This is a "hike your own hike" sort of deal, I am no trip leader. I've hiked all the sidecanyons except one and know the roads pretty well but it's always a new game every year up there.
Drive up would be Fri nite/ Sat/ set up car shuttle/ start hiking soon as able on Sun if car shuttles are finished. Out hopefully Sat 21st, get car if needed, local hotel Sat nite, dinner (Escalante Outfitters serves up huge and good Pizza's, but Cowboy Blues is best for sit down dining).

Please pmail me if you are up for this.
Letty

[img]

jkern15674

PostPosted: 9/6/2006, 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would be interested in doing some of the technical canyons in the region including the rap into the cathedral. Possibly the hike?? How much are the shuttles?? You are driving up on the 15th correct??
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 9/6/2006, 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Actually driving part way up Fri nite the 13th, then up early and into Escalante on the 14th. If I use Escalante Outpost folks, the most reasonable on a shuttle, will need to stop by and touch base with them on the 14th. In my experience usually get to Escalante midday, no direct fast road route there.

I am not planning on any tech stuff this time. I do have rap gear and three ropes, a 50, 100 and 150 footers. And ascending gear. This is mainly a photo hike for me. Although would be nice to shoot someone dropping thru the cathedral.

I can forward you Mike Kelsey ( the guidebook writers) email if you would like, you may have it, he is very helpful on the tech stuff in that area. Scott Patterson who frequents Summit Post.com is another canyoneering contact for that region.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 9/6/2006, 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I wish I could, I so wish I could but I can't right now. Sad I have photos of the places you show above and would like to go back for more. There is nothign like those canyon systems up there.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 9/6/2006, 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Same here, if I could I would, will be coming back from Hawaii that weekend.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 9/6/2006, 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Letty, it is just beautiful... If only I was skilled enough.... Rolling Eyes But I will be able to see it through your pictures.... I'll be waiting.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
KIM*

PostPosted: 9/6/2006, 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was just in that area over the weekend. I would go back in a heartbeat...if I only had more vacation time Sad

Letty, thanks for the invite. Have fun and I can't wait to see your pictures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: