ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
I need advice!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patches

PostPosted: 7/8/2003, 9:09 am    Post subject: I need advice! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Question My Son and his family are coming to stay with me from July 21-28 from Iowa. The only thing my daughter-in-law is asking is: [quote]"Can you think of a good place that we could go watch a mountain sunset some night? I would really like to do that" Very Happy I live in Peoria and do a lot of hiking in this area, but my kids aren't really into hiking - Does anyone have any ideas where I could take them without totally wearing them out in this heat ? Confused Thanks for any suggestions! Annie (Patches)
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 7/8/2003, 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Actually - a drive up to south Mountain would probably fit the bill. No hiking and you get to see some pretty cool sunsets. You have to be a little selective in where you park (there are a few scary types up there, but the rangers do a pretty good job of keeping it safe) - but the effort is well worth it.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Nealz

PostPosted: 7/8/2003, 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daddee wrote:
Actually - a drive up to south Mountain would probably fit the bill.

I'd second that. The main lookout at Dobbins Lookout is the most popular spot. And if it happens to be a sunset after a Monsoon, you'll be in for a spectacular experience. Also, on your way back into town, stop off at Los Dos Molinos on south Central for ridiculously hot, but fantastic mexichow.

-Nealz
Patches

PostPosted: 7/8/2003, 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very Happy Great idea! Thank you soooo much!! Annie
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 7/8/2003, 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Also, on your way back into town, stop off at Los Dos Molinos on south Central for ridiculously hot, but fantastic mexichow.

OOOOOOHHHHHHH YEEEEEAAAAAA!!!!!!! I almost forgot about that. Treat the out of towners to some SERIOUSLY good (but also seriously hot) food. You can get stuff that isn't "LORD, HELP ME!" hot - but the salsa will put a big-time hurt on the uninitiated. Truly excellent stuff. The endorphin rush alone makes it worthwhile.

Coming from Iowa they will have NEVER eaten stuff like this. Very authentic Sonoran style Mexican at its finest. While they're busy calling for more water you can tell them that this is the way real people eat Mexican food.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 7/8/2003, 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Author!!!!!!! Yes, indeed. Daddee is sooo right. If you do take them there Annie, be sure to order the fried ice cream for desert, then the next morning they can scream "Come On, Ice Cream!!" Eek
Patches

PostPosted: 7/8/2003, 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Love It!!! You guys are great - I can't wait to take them there! I know my son will just love it Laughing Annie
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 7/9/2003, 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you do manage to make it to Los Dos Molinos (which means "the two grinders" - whatever that implies) we want a full report (with pictures of the initial reactions if possible). The entertainment value should be quite high.

(we do NOT however need a full report [and especially not pictures] of the later reaction, as CatValet has already implied...)

- Abraham Lincoln
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 7/9/2003, 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's more accurately translated "the two mills". It refers to grinding stones used to turn corn into meal. Wink
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 7/9/2003, 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Or chilis into rocket fuel.....
Patches

PostPosted: 7/9/2003, 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very Happy I'm getting more anxious to try the hot food than see the scenery! Love that Hot Stuff! Don't know if my kids can take it, but I know they like to try new things - Wink Should be interesting!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: