ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
4th of July

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
ck1

PostPosted: 7/5/2003, 9:58 pm    Post subject: 4th of July Reply to topic Reply with quote

As I haven't attended a fourth of july celebration (aside from private parties) in at least a half dozen years, and certainly not since moving out here...where do you guys go to watch the fireworks?

It seems so FREAKING hot that sitting on a blanket surrounded by thousands of people is the last place I'd want to be...

Anyone view the works from atop a local mtn? I heard they close the parking lots of trailheads like Camelback at sunset...

Just wondering what everyone does for the 4th...

"The Journey is the Destination"
dennisbench

PostPosted: 7/5/2003, 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was able to watch both the Surprise and Glendale fireworks from my back porch. The Surprise ones were really close, as they are set off like 2 miles from my house. The Glendale ones were a little farther but still clearly visible. I did think about heading up Shaw Butte but ultimately I did not. I would like to in future years though it would be cool to see like every show in the metro area from one spot.
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 7/6/2003, 12:45 am    Post subject: fireworks Reply to topic Reply with quote

Lots of folks in the S.Scottsdale/E.Phoenix area go the the old Az. Country club off of 56th/Indian School + check out their 40 min display that is done yearly + not advertised.Most of the surrounding neighborhood shows up+ just drives in off 60th St.+ finds a place near the fence to view. I also have gone to Papago Park to Hunt's Tomb on the hill.Great views from there. My neighbor went to the Tempe Town Lake+ended up in the Paramedics tent due to heat!It was a hot one!!
cakewalk

PostPosted: 7/6/2003, 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

From my 3rd floor balcony, I was able to see the glendale show, which was only about 1 mile away. In addition, I could see the Surprise, Suncity, Deervalley and one from somewhere in north Phoenix.
ck1

PostPosted: 7/6/2003, 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think I live too far out...the only show I got on the fourth was the morons in the neighborhood shooting bottlerockets off in their backyard.

I wonder what the 4th would be like from atop the Sups...on a clear night of course...

"The Journey is the Destination"
Daryl

PostPosted: 7/7/2003, 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I imagine the fireworks shows from the Flatiron would be amazing, but the hike up in 110 degree heat probably wouldn't be amazing. I've heard south mountain is a zoo on the 4th, but that would be a great vantage point as well.
I saw a few firework shows from a campsite on top of the rim a few years back and that was pretty great.
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 7/7/2003, 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

South Mountain and "The Peak formerly known as Squaw Peak" are indeed both zoos on the 4th. South Mountain can be a little better if you are willing to go up a little early and hike to a decent vantage point. Squaw Peak is pretty much a zoo from any decent vantage point. North Mountain is also a zoo, and Usery has also had its share of lookouts.

I have thought many times about the flatiron idea. But every time it is jut too darned hot to consider that killer climb. You'd need to bring 3 gallons of water just to survive.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
plummer150

PostPosted: 7/9/2003, 8:42 am    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I usualy sit rite outside Beaver Stadium; where Penn State plays; you might as well come out here next year to view the fireworks, ha. Supposedly we have some of the best in the nation......
cakewalk

PostPosted: 7/9/2003, 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

plummer150 wrote:
I usualy sit rite outside Beaver Stadium; where Penn State plays; you might as well come out here next year to view the fireworks, ha. Supposedly we have some of the best in the nation......

....Yeah but, you also have Mosquitos.

One of my favorite things about living in phoenix, is the lack thereof.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: