ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
MS 150 Bike Ride

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nealz

PostPosted: 8/29/2006, 11:40 am    Post subject: MS 150 Bike Ride Reply to topic Reply with quote

I signed myself up for this. I've done it before, but not for a few, too many, years. Gotta get back on the bike for real I guess. Oh my achin'... well, never mind. I'll be riding with a couple of other geezer roadie wannabees as well. Anyone else here riding this year?

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/aza/event/default.asp?g=6

-Nealz
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 8/29/2006, 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Awaiting to find out if I can get time off for the ride. Most of the road bike events are on days that I am on duty. Been approved for some time off and will be riding in the Mcdowell Ride later this year. Awaiting to hear on Tour de Farm, Tour de Scottsdale and the Tour de Tucson.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 8/29/2006, 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

The tour is not just for serious athletes—anyone wanting to have fun and fight multiple sclerosis can participate. For beginners, it can be a great way to get in shape and learn from long-time cyclists

I love this quote from their website. I know I'm completely new to cycling, but a 150 mile bike ride sounds like a heck of an undertaking for a beginner.

To me it sounds like, "You've never hiked before, let me take you on this Rim-Rim, you can learn for the experienced hikers"
LongStoryShort

PostPosted: 8/29/2006, 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Your taint will be pretty beat up.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 8/29/2006, 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Like any other outdoor actvity, the right equipment including the clothing can make for an enjoyable experience.
LongStoryShort

PostPosted: 8/29/2006, 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

....and the right training.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/30/2006, 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Couldn't I put Fatboy tires on my mtn. bike to do this event? I wouldn't have to run out and buy a road bike, would I? My new mtn. bike is pretty light and fast.
Nealz

PostPosted: 8/30/2006, 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Last time I rode, 4 years ago, there were plenty of fat tire entusiasts - MTBR's, not the beer, altho that ain't bad either - who dropped me like a rock. Even little kids on 20-inch Malibu Barbie bikes were riding. There's always a contingent of hard-core riders, including a couple of Discovery Team members, but mostly it's just wanker riders, like me, who just want to spin along and reminisce about the old days. I used to ride crits and century rides, about a thousand years ago, but now I just tootle around.

I've been training by riding on Route 180, down to Reserve, NM and back to Alpine. It's about 44 miles, gate to gate, with 1100' in elevation gain. Sweet goin' down but torture coming back home. My legs seem OK and my cardio vascular strength is improving. My derriere is... adapting. I'll be in the valley in a couple of weeks to train with my partners at my old favorite, the Usery Loop in east Mesa.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/30/2006, 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That mention of the "great overnight beer party" would be enough to make me stay home! I don't care at all for that sort of scene. Maybe I could take my tent and camp away from the noise--out in the desert? Are the other participants actually able to ride on the second day after all that overnight self-abuse?
Nealz

PostPosted: 8/30/2006, 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very few riders, at least by my observation, were tearin' it up Saturday night. Pretty much everybody turned in early, no later than 10 pm, just because we all had to ride the next day. Now... at the end of the trip, after the bus ride back to Lake Pleasant on Sunday, then things started to heat up. Although plenty of folks decided to just pack up and leave too. The people from New Belgium Brewing were extremely conscientious about limiting the consumption of their products. The overall route, over both days, is relatively flat. There is a shortish climb right at the start outta Lake Pleasant then nothing else again until you cross into California and ride up to the dam, which is optional.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/30/2006, 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I will think about it. Have a lot on my plate at the moment. I will start doing some longer rides again, though. I had been riding a lot more up until a couple of weeks ago. I've been getting soft again, it doesn't take long!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: