ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
To carry or not to carry...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you hike with a tripod?
Yes
22%
 22%  [ 8 ]
No
63%
 63%  [ 23 ]
Sometimes
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 36

fairweather8588

PostPosted: 8/1/2006, 2:52 pm    Post subject: To carry or not to carry... Reply to topic Reply with quote

How many of you take along a tripod while hiking? If so, which one do you use?

Kerouac
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 8/1/2006, 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have only taken one along on a few trips. Havasupai was one of them. A solo trip in the GC last August was another one.

I don't know the model off hand, but I'll look when I get home. It extends to be a full size tri-pod (54'' I think) and weighs about a pound and a half(to hold my 5oz digital camera).

Just a regular dayhike I wouldn't carry unless I'm going specifically to take pictures.
evenstar

PostPosted: 8/1/2006, 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I can screw my camera onto my walking stick and us it as a monopod.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 8/1/2006, 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Always, every day
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 8/1/2006, 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just to expound a bit on the value, it is the way to get the most out of your glass. Many folks are spending money on very expensive glass but never realize its full potential without a good tripod. Not only does it freeze time better but also it helps when looking through the glass and trying compose an image. The computer screen is nice with its luminance but it doesn't impart as much fine detail as a good print. When I printed this one, every single grain of sand stood out in sharp relief, even the creature tracks had details that would never have come out so sharp and fine without the tripod and mirror lockup. It makes a huge difference.

My carbon fiber tripod/ball head and plate weighs 3.5 lbs, about as much as Maryphyl's entire overnight pack. Mr. Green When I go to choose a pack be it daypack or overnight pack, one criteria is how well it carries my tripod.
Suz

PostPosted: 8/1/2006, 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I carry 2 or 3 tripods with me on hikes. I have a small 3" tripod with flexible legs that is always in my pack. My hiking pole has a top that comes off so it can be a mono-pod...used it a couple of times, and have a lightweight full sized Sunpak QSX-Digi Pro 100. Not fond of the leg adjustments.
IGO

PostPosted: 8/1/2006, 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I use my hiking stuff which serves as a mono pod. It's the REI 4 winds. 8 oz and scopes down to 22 inches. I only carry the one staff.
Seeing how BoyNhisDog carries one every hike and his work is exceptional I'd ask him directly what he uses and go with it. Most light weight tri-pods do more harm than good as they vibrate with longish lenses on them. My tri-pod weighs better than 25 pounds and I dang sure don't hike with that one.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 8/1/2006, 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A good article on tripods is Here. I pretty much went with the "inexpensive" solution, about 6 bills. The designation numbers have changed to Hakuba 504 mx but it is as stable as some of the heavier tripods I tested, though I didn't test any as heavy as yours. My guess is your 25 lb tripod is very nice (more stable) but good for studio work because of that weight (I wouldn't want to hike with that either). Also my longest lens is a short, light 85mm.
IGO

PostPosted: 8/1/2006, 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes. My tripod is not terribly expensive and I rely strictly on it's sheer weight and mass to do what I need a tri-pod to do. Unfortuneatley, I don't have a tri-pod in the places I need one the most and I probably never will. As it were, the mono pod is more for me to track an eagle with a 300 MM while sitting cross legged than it is for an real rigid pacture intensions. My heavy tri-pod is for capturing lightning and fireworks or wildlife I see roadside. I'm afraid there is way to much compromise on my behalf to expect studio quality when I want to do the kind of shooting I do which is almost always shooting on the fly. One day I hope to start doing more deliberate work instaed of hoping for the best but right now I just can't seem to hold still long enough. Another thing I'll have to address one day is media. I have a fine digital camera but can't shoot raw images because my computer won't dijest enough information without choking so I shoot in .jpeg with a camera that colors .jpeg images. I'm getting ready to purchase some serious computing horsepower so I can shoot raw images.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 8/2/2006, 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

FW,

I have one small tripod I occasionally bring on a hike/backpack, depending on the trip. It's called an Ultrapod, is very lightweight and has a velcro strap so you can wrap it around a tree branch or pole. Daryl recommended this one and I like it.

Found it at Campmor.com for $13.99

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 8/3/2006, 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trish, I like those little tripods for the small cameras. I have one as well. Not good for the bigger cameras or if you need some elevation, but they are nice and lightweight.

Robert, once you get into shooting RAW you will have a lot more control with your images. You will be able to pull back more tones that you saw than letting the camera auto process them into jpegs. You can draw your own tonal curves after in post processing instead of having to guess before the shot. Your file will be 16 bit instead of 8 bit. 16 bit means using the entire 12 bits your camera puts out, almost 4100 tone levels instead of 256 that you will get in 8 bit jpeg. It makes a huge difference when stretching any of the info in post processing like using the Levels or Curves commands. It takes a while to get a handle on RAW but when you do, and you will, it gives you so many more options for processing and printing.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 8/3/2006, 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

BoyNhisDog wrote:
Trish, I like those little tripods for the small cameras. I have one as well. Not good for the bigger cameras or if you need some elevation, but they are nice and lightweight.

I should have mentioned that in my previous post so thanks for pointing that out Glen. I have an Olympus C-765 Ultra Zoom that weighs about 14 oz (yes, it's kind of bulky) but that little tripod holds it with no problem.

I tried putting my Dad's Canon 35 MM on it and that doesn't work well at all! Laughing

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
freeride21a

PostPosted: 8/5/2006, 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

i use a $30 tripod from quantaray sunpak, its pretty light. QSX 6601 is the model i think.

I strap it on with my groundpad just outside the sleeping bag hold.
Andy

PostPosted: 8/6/2006, 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: To carry or not to carry... Reply to topic Reply with quote

fairweather8588 wrote:
How many of you take along a tripod while hiking? If so, which one do you use?

I carry one always! but pull it out and actually use it almost never! Rolling Eyes

http://community.webshots.com/album/136917818udlQWZ
PageRob

PostPosted: 8/6/2006, 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If I had a nice camera (or my nice camera was fixed) I'd carry a tripod. I used to have a tripod with me at almost all times, before my SLR broke. Since I'm just using a P&S and there's not much money in the budget for a repair on the SLR, I'll pass on the tripod for now...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: