ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
What's your Blood Pressure?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
IGO

PostPosted: 7/21/2006, 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your Blood Pressure? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
Alright---what's normal and what's not?

Today I'm 94/51 with a pulse of 79....and slipping lower. Thankful that there is a pulse, I suppose. Does that seem low? Ya think I've got a leak?

What is your blood pressure?

That's not good BP Suz. That just don't sound right to me.

MY BP was 126/76 in the doctors office last week. It's usually a tad lower at home rested up. My average is dropping the longer I've lived back in hiking country.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
IGO

PostPosted: 7/21/2006, 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mike wrote:
Normal is 90/60 to 120/80, so you're on the low side You feeling ok? Is you're BP normally on the low side like that?

Who said 90/60 is normal? I've never even heard of that reading before. Smile
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
IGO

PostPosted: 7/21/2006, 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hnak wrote:
I try to keep mine around 32 psi....

Yeah Hank. I like some blood preasure too.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 7/21/2006, 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you feel fine Suz you're fine. It wouldn't hurt to drink some water or other hydrating liquid. I have been running about 104/72, pulse about 54. My BP only gets higher if I get contacted by my ex.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/21/2006, 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/22/2006, 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That's an interesting chart. It puts me, at my usual which is 90/60 at a borderline. But I think for some people this is normal, because mine has always been like that. I guess if yours is dropping or is not consistent, then that might be an indicator of something underlying you'd want to check out with the doc.
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 7/22/2006, 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mine jumps every time I go near a medical professional to take it Shocked ....normally 110/120 over 76, but getting higher as I am getting older.When I was rushed into emergency surgery for my detached retina in Dec., it jumped to 190/110....talk about abject terror...fear of being blind.! My Doc. feels that the bp machines in markets, etc., are accurate, but the situations are not always the best(stress, driving,etc.)Chill out time!
ghoster

PostPosted: 7/22/2006, 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You can get a home BP monitor for around fity bucks and they are accurate, I checked mine with my primary care doctor and the recommend to monitor it on a regular basis, of course, it can become obsessive. Especially getting older it is a good idea to watch this, and if there is a variation from the norm or the norm for you might be time to visit a doctor. Yours seem to be lack of fluids and with the recent heat in Phoenix that is understandable.

Hope it is something simple like drinking more liquids. Statins aren't the best medicine when you consider the side effects, especially the muscle cramps that some get. Best to maintain healthy lifestyle and avoid all medicines you are just making the big pharma rich.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/22/2006, 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dang I just sold one of those bp monitors at yard sale for 5 bucks! Sorry bout that--could have sent it to you!
DesertDog

PostPosted: 7/23/2006, 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

BP this AM: 116/68; HR 48

That was on the machine in Safeway, so it would probably register lower if I'd not been out running around.

Not bad for an old guy.

I prefer hiking to medication...... Cool
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/23/2006, 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

HR 48

Wow that a pretty low HR there. Many ultramarathon runners are in the low 40's.
LongStoryShort

PostPosted: 7/23/2006, 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mine is like 40. Not uncommon.
DesertDog

PostPosted: 7/23/2006, 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
Quote:

HR 48

Wow that a pretty low HR there. Many ultramarathon runners are in the low 40's.

Back when I was in my mid-30s and really into the weights, my resting heart rate was in the upper thirties. A doctor told me that my heart was "enlarged" during a physical. I tried to tell him that my heart had just responded to the demand by muscle tissue for more oxygen and glucose, but he refused to believe me. Laughing

I've been doing yoga for a couple of years, and in conjunction with my physical conditioning, have some conscious control over the HR- i.e., I cheat when I sit down to take my BP...... Razz
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 7/23/2006, 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Interesting chart Tim! It's important to note that the diastolic reading is the most important when evaluating blood pressure (that's the bottom number and represents the pressure against the arterial walls when the heart is at "rest" or between beats)...any reading over 80-85 mm Hg is considered borderline and anything over 90 is considered hypertensive. The systolic (top number) is also of importance but represents the pressure against the arterial walls when the heart is contracting.

Most hypertension & heart disease seems to be genetic but is exacerbated by smoking, high sodium intake (as in prepared & canned foods), alcohol consumption, stress and caffeine to name a few. There are also several types of hypertension, including benign (controlled) and malignant (uncontrolled).

I am hypertensive now and have to take meds every day to keep it within normal limits, which totally stinks....Seems I inherited this from one side of my family(thanks a lot!!!) I've run as high as 190/110 and currently run about 125/76 on meds. Pulse of 60 as a norm.

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 7/23/2006, 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trishness wrote:
Most hypertension & heart disease seems to be genetic but is exacerbated by smoking, high sodium intake (as in prepared & canned foods), alcohol consumption, stress and caffeine to name a few.

Hmmmmm... I'm in deeep doodoo methinks... bummer.

Shades
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: