ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Flashlight Quiz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daryl

PostPosted: 6/21/2003, 9:26 am    Post subject: Flashlight Quiz Reply to topic Reply with quote

What is 10x brighter then a mini-mag light, crush resistant to 2000 pounds, water proof to 150 feet deep, provides 20 hours of light on one set of batteries, has batteries with a 10 year shelf life, plus smaller and lighter then the mini-mag?

http://www.tacticalflashlights.com/inova/x5-black.htm

2 of my friends have these and they are amazing. I'm going out to get mine today. You can get them at sharper image for $40.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 6/21/2003, 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Impressive! I was on a trip in the Canyon once with a law enforcement type. He had some super powerful flashlight like that. It could light up the walls of the canyon from quite a distance. But you couldn't leave it on very long, it would melt itself.
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 6/23/2003, 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

He was probably carying the Z2 Combatlight. They are really brilliant, but have a short battery life because they suck up so much energy.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Nealz

PostPosted: 6/23/2003, 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Z2 weighs 5.1 ozs. but what does the Tacticalight weigh with batteries? Hmmm, I 've been using Photon Lights in camp to read and do chores. They are way tiny and don't weigh a thing. I'll velcro 'em to the underside of a ballcap for convenience... but, they're not bright enough to hike by and are easily 'overwalked'.

-Nealz
Daryl

PostPosted: 6/23/2003, 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This guy weighs slightly less then a mini maglite (AA bats) with batteries in. I didn't check the specs, but holding both I can tell the difference, and it does not get hot.

If you're using the photon now, this light is probably more then you need. This thing puts out more light then most full size flashlites.
If you carry the mini mag today and are looking for something better, this is it.

Also, I did have to test it, and yes it does work quite well under water.

PostPosted: 6/23/2003, 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ordered one today!
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 6/23/2003, 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just saw a head lamp at REI the other day that weighs 1.25 ounces, batteries last about 24 hours and the bulbs lasts 10,000 hours. I really want to get this one, even tho i feel its over priced. I think the wieght of it, or lack there of is worth it.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/27/2003, 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I received mine today and am disappointed. Kitchen scales show tactical & mini-mag both at 4oz and, shining the two side by side in my garage, the mini-mag, when focused for a spot, out shines the Tactical by quite a lot.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 6/27/2003, 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah Hoolie, but does it vibrate? Rolling Eyes

I'll havta see what Dillon Precision has....
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/27/2003, 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Also, fabric belt carrier literally fell apart the first time I put the Tactical light in it! Confused
Daryl

PostPosted: 6/29/2003, 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Unless you are in darkness, you can't really see how bright the LED light is. It's more of a flood light then a spot light so shinning them both on a surface in a partially lighted room, the mag will look brighter. Yes the Mag has a better spot light, but if you open the mag light up to flood light to cover the same amount of area as the LED, the difference is night and day. Take them both on a night hike and see if your opinion changes.
I wasn't happy with the case either, that went in the garbage. The niteise (spelling) rubber sleeve and clip I used for my maglite fits it great so I use that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: