ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Chorizo and powdered eggs
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
grrlscout

PostPosted: 7/20/2006, 8:18 am    Post subject: Chorizo and powdered eggs Reply to topic Reply with quote

This one's a twofer!

1) Any idea how long chorizo (still in its casing) will last unrefrigerated? Can I freeze it first?

2) Where can I get powdered or freeze-dried eggs locally? Too late to order online. I imagine I can probably get some at REI, but if I don't have to go there, that would be great. N. Central Phoenix, West side, or anywhere in between would be ideal.

Yes, I have some breakfast burritos on the menu. Wink

Cheers!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 7/20/2006, 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

REI should have the eggs yo need. Try a health food store maybe? The chorizo can be frozen, probably your best bet. Freeze it and then wrap it in two bubble wrap mailers of the FedEx or DHL sort and it will stay good for a day or two I would imagine. Leave it wrapped up until you use it. Every time you unwrap it to "check it" shortens your cold time. You can get a carton of Egg Beaters, pour out some and freeze it or crack your eggs intoa Nalgene bottle, freeze and wrap in bubble wrap same as the chorizo.

Man, now I'm hungry.

GTG
grrlscout

PostPosted: 7/20/2006, 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks GTG!

I checked Sprouts for powdered eggs, with no luck. Looks like an REI run is in order. I'm just afraid I'll get there and spend a lot of cash on stuff I don't REALLY need.

I'd like to bring real eggs, but this is a day 3 or 4 meal. I'm afraid that would be just too long.

Today I stopped in at the carnicera near work, and they only had fresh chorizo, not the dried kind I was looking for. I might check Romanelli's and see if they have linguisca.

mmm... cured pork products. Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
IGO

PostPosted: 7/20/2006, 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Chorizo and powdered eggs Reply to topic Reply with quote

grrlscout wrote:
This one's a twofer!

1) Any idea how long chorizo (still in its casing) will last unrefrigerated? Can I freeze it first?

2) Where can I get powdered or freeze-dried eggs locally? Too late to order online. I imagine I can probably get some at REI, but if I don't have to go there, that would be great. N. Central Phoenix, West side, or anywhere in between would be ideal.

Yes, I have some breakfast burritos on the menu. Wink

Cheers!

You don't WANT to go to REI? Now that jus ain't 'mericin!? Smile
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 7/20/2006, 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sportsmans wharehouse!

I want to shine!
heather

PostPosted: 7/20/2006, 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

On a side note: I bought some premade chicken chorizo at Sprouts. It was really good. I normally use egg beaters for breakfast and regular eggs for baking.
grrlscout

PostPosted: 7/21/2006, 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We ended up making an REI run last night. Picked up some scrambled eggs, plus a spare stove, fuel, and a bunch of other stuff we probably didn't REALLY need. Embarassed

I also found a place near work that just sells sausage. According to their site, they sell both chorizo and linguica:

http://schreinerssausage.com/products.asp

I'm just looking for some sort of dry, cured sausage, other than summer or salami. Something spicy. I might go to this place during lunch, or I might go get my truck washed. We'll see. Mr. Green
Suz

PostPosted: 7/21/2006, 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ranch Market in Phx near the Diamondback's ballpark has chorizo links....I was just there the other day for dinner and grocery shopping. If you have never been it's well worth the trip.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 7/21/2006, 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Schriener's is a great place, they make most of it right there.
grrlscout

PostPosted: 7/21/2006, 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nummy num!! Unfortunately instead of visiting Schreiner's, I decided to get my truck washed, detailled and waxed. Or course, now it's going to rain. The sausage gods must be angry. Shocked

I'll check it out next week.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 7/21/2006, 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have backpacked and used dry ice. For a trip last month I purchased the precooked bacon from Basha's and added it to my MRE egg omelet.
DesertRoux

PostPosted: 7/21/2006, 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
Ranch Market in Phx near the Diamondback's ballpark has chorizo links....I was just there the other day for dinner and grocery shopping. If you have never been it's well worth the trip.

99 Ranch Market in the Chinese cultural center is a MUST visit. Very interesting browsing can be done there. You have to love a store that has razor sharp meat cleavers for 12 bucks. Why they store them low enough for kids to get at them I'll never know. It does add to the charm though. I go there with a Viet Namiese chef friend of mine. We always have a great time there. They even butcher your fish for you right then and there. Cool, cool store.
IGO

PostPosted: 7/21/2006, 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank goodness. Every body has got to go to REI sooner or later, even if only to find out you don't like the place. Very Happy
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
LongStoryShort

PostPosted: 7/22/2006, 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I work at REI now! Very Happy
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 7/22/2006, 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Which one?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: